Sunday, November 17, 2019

Early Sunday morning

Biscuit scared me but seems to be OK. 

I went to bed, set an alarm for pill time.  Ron woke me up about 7 minutes before it went off, took his pill.  I turned off the alarm and went back to bed, slept pretty well and woke up around 6. 

My right arm is sore from moving Ron in bed last night, I had to haul him up in bed, I had gotten him on the mattress but he was too far down. 

Ron was up when I got up, complaining he was hungry, and cold.  I gave him the chicken I bought for him last night and he ate that happily while I turned up the heat.  I fed the cats, put away his leftovers, and covered him with a blanket.  He was happy and went back to sleep. 

Notice there was no alcohol involved in this transaction, I think that is one reason he was more pleasant and amenable.  He did take his next dose of antibiotic before he went back to sleep. 

And he woke up again, wanted more chicken. 

In the meantime Biscuit threw up a couple of times but he peed OK (I watched) and has regained his appetite.  He is back to eating his dry food after rejecting a $3 can of wet food.  Now he is back by my foot so I can watch him. 

I will absolutely take him to the emergency vet if needed but it is $500 to walk in the door and a minimum of $30 cab fare each way, not to mention trauma to poor Biscuit.  [He just put his head in my lap] They have dogs at that hospital so not something I would take lightly. 

I don't know why dog people at the vet seem to think it is cool for their dog to be allowed to come over and sniff/bark at the sick cat in a carrier.  That is abuse. 

I remember when Gravy got hurt a woman was standing at the reception desk, gossiping, had 2 big boisterous dogs jumping around, came out "Why aren't you coming in?" (they had a glass door and she could see me.  I told her "I will wait for you to put up the dogs before I bring him in, he's had a bad enough day already".  Got ALL pissy with me but went and put the dogs in her car. 

The cat, and the cat guardian, does NOT want your dog jumping up on the carrier!  Control your animal!  VERY rude.  And cruel. 

And that is one reason I would take my guys to a cats-only hospital if I won the lottery.  People at my local vet are much better mannered but generally when I bring my guys in that takes half their day so they don't book any dogs coming in anyway.  Of course I pay for that...

Biscuit is resting comfortably by my foot so he seems fine.  I am sorry he didn't feel well earlier but glad he is improving and really glad God let me see him pee.  If he is peeing he isn't blocked and that isn't an emergency. 

Ron seems OK.  I will probably get up, clean the boxes, take that out, and take my bath.  I haven't had a bath in ages...I shower.  Ron freaks out if I put oils in the bath, he doesn't like the smell.  He probably wouldn't object if I could find my cedar wood but that went AWOL a while back. 

The plan is to take a nap today at some point.  The cats all went crazy for the new litter box and filled it up, good to see they didn't have an issue.  Worst case they would have used the carpet instead. 

Let me get a link.  https://www.chewy.com/frisco-high-sided-cat-litter-box-navy/dp/168284

I will get one for Ron's room, for sure.  And then one for the front room.  Torbie can still get access without strain so that's good.  I have to take care of all of them. 

Well, Biscuit's still fine.  I guess I can stop worrying. 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not just let him sleep off his drunken bender on the floor? No sense in injuring yourself trying to get him into bed. Throw a blanket on him and call it done. I believe that is what you said you would do if he was like that. I don't see anything wrong with that. There will come a time soon when you will be unable to life and move him around because he will be like dead weight. His body and mind are going. It will happen suddenly (though it should not be unexpected but it will be) and then it is off to the hell hole medicaid paid for nursing home where he will quickly realize how good he had it back at home with you and not in a place where people are getting paid minimum wage and don't care about the patients the way someone who loves said patient would. There have been stories about the staff having fight clubs where they would get the patients with dementia to fight each other while they videotaped it. Rape, dehumanizing behavior done by staff to patients and other horror stories. He should be doing all he can to keep himself OUT of a place like that as long as possible. Maybe you should enlighten him to these realities.

If you really cared about the cats you would demand and insist no more drinking. Cats are very susceptible to the stress of constant yelling, cursing and all his other drunken behaviors. It impacts their health dramatically. BUT you would rather allow him to continue harming them and you with his behavior. Remember he is blind and in a wheelchair any access he has to alcohol is because you allow it to happen.

Heather Knits said...

If he falls I leave him there. Most common, he struggles getting into bed and will fall if I don't assist him. He doesn't just stand up, turn around, and sit on the bed like I would. He does a more complicated frontal approach. He refuses to change that. If I don't assist, he WILL fall and injure himself, no question. So pretty sure I am legally and morally obligated to help, ESPECIALLY if he is asking. When he fell Tuesday I didn't try to help him up, even if he had been willing (he was combative) I just left him alone until he sobered up and got to bed on his own.

I was running a bath today when he had to use the toilet, and I almost swallowed my tongue when I saw his transfer technique. I need to see if he will "let" me put the toilet safety frame up over the toilet. The last time I did that he had 2 reviews, he liked it and felt safer, and then he said he felt more unsafe with the frame and asked me to take it away.

I did tell Ron they would rape him in the nursing home so he had better be nice to me. He laughed. I told him to remember that the next time he got angry at me.

Anonymous said...

Rape is the least of his worries. Many just do humiliating things to the patients. Leading with him getting raped in a nursing home was probably not a deteriment for a man like him. Now the potential for humiliation and emasculation would have been my angle of choice. You have to look at what a person fears or hates the most to get them to understand the gravity of what could be his life very very soon. As to him trying to get in bed on his own and injuring himself what about if you injure yourself and cant help him? Then a caregiver will have to come in if you can afford it or he will have to go to the nursing home.

Heather Knits said...

I have been told they have temporary nursing home placements. If I get hurt/sick/surgery he would have to go for a while.

To Ron, the worst part of going to a nursing home would be losing his cat. He is very bonded to her. I will remind him of that.

Anonymous said...

Threatening him with what could happen to him in a nursing home is cruel. He is likely to end up in a nursing home regardless of how much he tries to be good. He is deteriorating.

Once he is in a nursing home, the best thing you can do is visit and call often and be involved in his care.

Anonymous said...

Stop trolling Heather about what fake happens in homes with some urban tale bs. If Ron ever needs to go in one and she believes you that’s bad for her and you should feel like a jerk.

Heather Knits said...

Well, I didn't threaten him with the loss of Baby Girl. It will be hard enough when she does die.

I won't ditch him. People left to their own in a nursing home and only visited on a set schedule are at huge risk of abuse/neglect. I remember one time he was in the rehab hospital. they sent him this horrible mini pizza with olives on it. He hates olives and sent it back. They sent him the same pizza (he had taken one bite) back for breakfast. When I got there a couple hours later I was PISSED WTF is going on here? And I brought him something decent to eat, too. It never happened again. Other times I brought candy for the staff when he was happy. But I won't ditch him.

The vital thing if/when he goes in a home will be access for me. If I can get there on a bus we are both set. If it's a $40 cab ride one way that's a massive problem.

Heather Knits said...

Well, I am sure some of it happens, but I am also sure it happens to those dumped and neglected by family, or only visited every third Sunday at 1 PM. When he was in the rehab hospital I came at all different times so they never knew when I'd show up. That's the way I would do it should I need.

I would try for a warehouse job so I could possibly work afternoon/evening or night shifts, visit him during the day.