Thursday, November 14, 2019

I thought it would suck

It didn't.  I got up, already clean and ready to go 'cause I took my shower last night.  Got dressed, Ron got himself dressed.  He asked if I "wanted" to clean his hand, I said yes, washed my own hands and got my supplies. 

The wound had a big scab on it, that was twisted up and looked very bad, that fell off sometime and I was left with a laceration, straight, about an inch long.  Amazing to think that little cut bled so much (to me). 

I doctored it, smeared a large amount of neosporin in the wound, and taped it with an antibacterial bandage to cover.  It wouldn't hold up through stocking but it would at least serve as concealment.  I can't say how but I have some antibiotics.  A full course.  Ron agreed to take the full course.  So that is a weight off of me.  That can help clear out the last of the leg and the finger. 

It will come as no surprise that betadine, neosporin, cotton pads, and bandages are all on my shopping list for Walmart.  At any rate I feel it is treatable at home but I am going to ban him from stocking.  Can you imagine?  ONE DROP of blood on the merchandise it would be the end of us.  [shudder]  Nope, he lost his keys, I have the only vending key and I am not letting him in those machines 'till he's better. 

And the bandage will keep the wound clean at home, as well, and help fight off infection.  I just hope he doesn't have a reaction this time. 

We went to work, the first driver was Miss High and Mighty tell Heather how to do her job.  "Where's his coat?" 

"He's holding it". 

Ron: "I don't want a coat". 

Then she was very impatient and a speed demon on the way to work, not safe, rushing him to get into his wheelchair, that's a great way to cause a fall.  Rushing a feeble senior.  She seemed manic, looking back. 

Anyway, got to work.  There is a secluded hallway near our vending area, it is very quiet, so I left Ron there and did my "fix" on the soda.  That didn't take too long, I looked to see if any of the machines needed work.  Answer: not really. 

I did sort some change for the bill changer, did a comprehensive inventory for Saturday, and various other things.  We were only there about an hour. 

Our ride was late and somehow got past the security barrier.  I believe she drove in through the exit.  She is LUCKY the on site police did not catch her.  We got Ron in the back compartment.  They always have such an attitude when he can't get out of his wheelchair.  He would RATHER walk, trust me. 

We had to drop another client off at her job, it is one of those programs for slow and physically limited people.  They don't have to pay as much and they have a reliable work force who is happy doing menial labor. 

The driver chose to take a very bumpy side road to get home, it was pretty bumpy for Ron.  I couldn't help but wonder if it was revenge for Ron choosing to ride in the back.  She had Christmas music playing... one station has been doing that since Nov 1 and it is really annoying.  Let's enjoy the turkey already. 

Holidays are weird for me with the family situation and also moods - I tend toward horrible depressions around Christmas.  Or a mania.  Or both.  I never know what to expect.  Today is mostly depressed and I looked out the window at the passing scenery thinking about all the Christmases I have spent depressed. 

We got home, cold and raining now.  Got Ron in the house.  His bandage still looks OK.  I will keep doing that.  I had some energy so I went ahead and cleaned the litter boxes hours before I normally do them.  I ate some pop tarts and took my antidepressant and multi vitamin. 

The cats are good.  I am glad I cleaned the box because one of them has very stinky poop.  But the probiotics are helping. 

One thing on my menu for today is a deposit so I can get more probiotics, Biscuit's formula, and a tall sided litter box.  Ron's antibiotics as well but that is only $12. 

So: I thought today would suck.  It hasn't.  Not over yet.  I plan to take a nap and then go do my errands later. 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

“Can’t say how” It’s not cool to take prescriptions that don’t belong to you.

Anonymous said...

I'm listening to Christmas music right now, lol. This morning, I saw my neighbor has her tree up and lights on. But, it's Michigan and with the snow it feels like Christmas already.

Anonymous said...

Don't let a good day cause you to fail to prepare for the upcoming bad day. Make those steps you were talking about. It's surely coming and you'll wish you did. ((hugs))

Heather Knits said...

Who said I STOLE a prescription? Some doctor may have accidentally marked one of MINE for a refill. That is all. I was going to save it but he needs it now so into him it goes (when it's ready). And there it is so I will be back.

Heather Knits said...

I was thinking today how hard it must be for stray cats in the really cold climates. I was feeling bad for kittens born in this weather (40's, rain). I can't imagine ice and snow everywhere. Well, I grew up in that but I got out quick!

Anonymous said...

Transfering any prescription drug to any other person is illegal. Even family members cannot do this....you really are not qualified to treat your husband. Everything about this caregiving life is based on your interpretation of EVERYTHING.

Heather Knits said...

Ron getting antibiotics and some medical care is better than his choice of no medical care at all, that is SURE to lead to infection, hospitalization, and quite possibly the loss of his good hand. He said he would not go to the doctor but would allow me to give him antibiotics and clean/bandage the wound.

But it wouldn't be my blog if someone wasn't throwing rocks at me for my decision. [grin]

Anonymous said...

1. An antibiotic will not heal his wound. It is to cure infections and if he does not have the right bug for the right antibiotic you are creating a bad situation. If his wound is infected they may want to do a culture of it. Certain antibiotics are better for skin infections and certain bugs .
2 if his wound needs a culture done it can not be done if you have given him an antibiotic so please do not do that
3. If he has an allergic reaction and I believe several years ago he had a terrible reaction to a sulfa drug? Then you caused it by giving him an antibiotic that was not prescribed for him and that is illegal and wrong Heather I promise you that.
4. If his wound is infected he needs to be seen please take him in .

With all my heart I mean this never give an antibiotic to anyone it is not prescribed for.

Anonymous said...

Your decision was illegal. You act like you have medical expertise when you actually don’t. You need to stop trying to treat him but of course you just don’t want anyone to find out about the hoarded house. People aren’t TRYING to throw rocks, you just keep making the wrong choices. Hope he doesn’t have a medical issue after taking the antibiotics then it’s on you.

Anonymous said...

Why are you worried about an infection? Is it infected?

Anonymous said...

Your decision is irresponsible. No one is throwing rocks at you. In fact, everyone has given you great advice.

You don't know that he needs antibiotics, you don't know which antibiotics he would need if he did need antibiotics, and you are being reckless.



Heather Knits said...

No, it is not infected. I want to keep it that way. I would rather take a chance and give him this than not give it, he gets infected and hospitalized.

He has had at least one skin infection that I recall and the doctor did not do a culture. He accused me of being negligent (sound familiar?), interrogated Ron who confirmed my story, and then prescribed an antibiotic.

I have never had one person freak about my house. The only remarkable thing is the literal stack of Bibles. Ron has clear passageways and access to every room in the house, trash picked up, plenty of food for him and the cats, the fridge is full, we moved the microwave so he could use it independently, etc. And how would an infected finger lead to a home inspection? With a warrant, because I am not letting anyone in without one. They would let the cats out and they would get hurt.

I will keep treating it at home as long as I can but if he needs to go to the doctor I will. He was totally on board with taking the antibiotic and cheerfully took it with his hamburger.

Heather Knits said...

He can't take Bactrim - that was another skin infection (2 that have had to go to the doctor) in the instance of the Bactrim it was draining and I wanted to use a warm compress to get it out. He said no, we went to the doctor. She advised me to use a warm compress (rolleyes) and the Bactrim put Ron in the hospital. Doctors then gave a prescription for the same thing I am giving him now.

Cleaning it is vital, of course, but I believe covering it will be equally important, which is why I got out the heavy duty bandages today. The laceration in question is about 15 mm, one inch length. He can use it perfectly. He says it does not hurt except when I was cleaning it, the day of the injury.

This is not a perforated bowel. He has just been accident prone of late and I wish I knew what he cut himself on so I could get rid of it.

Anonymous said...

Would you allow in-home care for Ron?

Anonymous said...

This. ^^^

You aren’t qualified to decide if he needs prescription antibiotics and if so which one, how much and for how long! That is the job of a RN or MD. Not a “caregiver” Doctors make prescriptions based on specific patient factors and that rx was not for Ron.

Heather Knits said...

Yes, I would consent to in home care for Ron, IF they could find the right caregiver who liked cats and would not let them out. However, I suspect when faced with caregiver vs me he would pick me and "be good" for a while rather than have a caregiver bathe him, etc.

I have done a lot of things that were not in my job description, over the years.