Sunday, January 20, 2019

My new primary doc died before they assigned her to me

Depressed, but got a lot done today.  Got up, shower, dressed, did some housework.  Ron drank and went back to bed. 

I checked the mail as part of my chores and found my new insurance card, yay!  Now I could research my new primary doc.  Who, I found, had just died. 

Well, shit.  Now I have to call the company back and get another doctor.  I hope I don't get the guy with the funny name in Acres Homes.  I would not feel comfortable describing my female problems to a guy from another culture.   Unless he was Asian.  That would just be weird. 

We shall see, I'll work on doing that tomorrow.  Customer service seems to be in India, so they won't have tomorrow off.  I can get it fixed then. 

I got ready, Chuck came right on time.  I was depressed and irritable but tried not to show it. 

I started at the vegetable section.  I wanted some of the thin skinned potatoes that are good for boiling.  I plan to put them in my stew.  I read the standard "brown wrapper" potatoes get mushy and waterlogged.  I have always used that type so I am curious to see how it is with a different variety. 

I couldn't decide between the multicolored ones, or the red skin, so I got a bag of each.  I like a lot of potatoes in my stew.  I remember when I was active in low carb, it was popular to use turnips because they are lower carb.  I ate turnips twice, both times when I was manic.  They were OK the first time but awful the second.  No turnips for me. 

I went down the list.  I had a little trouble at the garbage bags.  I plan to clean up as much as possible (I have limits on how much I can put out) when I get manic or even just have a little energy.  I run around finding stuff to toss and quickly run it out to our massive trash can. 

I couldn't find the one I had used, and instead opted for a more generous package of unscented generic trash bags with the "flex".  There were people everywhere all over the store, unusual for so late in the month.  I realized food stamps had been paid early so, as far as everyone was concerned, it was a shopping holiday. 

I did manage to find my lentils.  I wanted some new ones.  The old ones were really old and the new ones should cook up a lot fresher.  But, for the short term, it's beef stew on the menu. 

I plan to start the pot tomorrow morning and leave it on all day, then eat it for dinner.  It's Angus stew meat and fancy potatoes (I have presliced carrots as well), with some nice stock and fresh spices, so it should be pretty good. 

It's a good way to get some red meat in my diet.  Anything that is easy to cook and tastes good is fair game. 

The herbs (Wild Yam) seem to be helping, the bleeding has gone to more heavy spotting now.  Hopefully it will continue to diminish.  Especially since my doctor is dead.  I feel bad for the family but my luck with primary doctors has been terrible.  One doctor moved.  I found another, he moved.  Then the one downtown.  And, finally, the one that died before I could even see her.  [sigh]  Hopefully my next one will be local and good. 

I don't think my problem's very difficult to manage.  From what I have read he will probably just put me on hormones.  But we'll see. 

I just want to know it is not something serious.  The odds of that happening are pretty low but still need an exam. 

Back to Walmart, I was delighted to find the Scoop Away Ultra cat litter.  My guys love the stuff and it's the only thing they want in their toilet.  The first package was ripped, the bags were OK but impossible to pick up.  The second one was OK but the outer wrapping (it is 4 bags of litter, with an outer wrapper) was loose.  I got it home OK though.  I found everything on the list. 

I couldn't find glass food storage jars, so I got plastic.  I don't plan to keep my kitchen food as long this time so it should be fine. 

Then I checked out.  After everything, I had $3 left.  At least I could get everything on the list.  We came home (I don't think Chuck ever wants to go to that Taco Bell again!) and I put everything away.  I tried to take a nap but couldn't sleep. 

Ron woke up, was talking, wanted to make some noise, so I went ahead and got up.  I asked him if he had laundry and he said no (I didn't notice his t-shirt until later).  He went back to the kitchen for more drinking, dropped a V-8 on the floor, making a mess.  He cleaned it up himself, though. 

I got started on the laundry, that takes a while.  I was careful to balance the load, got that done, and eventually moved it on to the dryer where it is now. 

After Ron went back to his room, I cleaned up my counter, making room for the crock-pot tomorrow and setting out everything I will actually need to do the beef stew.  I would do it tonight, put it in the fridge, and then put it in the crock pot tomorrow BUT that is bad for the ceramic to go from very cold to on the heat element.  I don't want to cook it tonight, I'll have strange dreams if I do.  Better to get up 15 minutes early and do my meal prep tomorrow, then let it cook while I'm gone.  If I put it on at 6 AM tomorrow, it will be done by dinner time. 

Not sure if I will freeze the raw meat with the remaining vegetables, to be pulled out and cooked when ready, or cook 3 batches of stew and freeze them ready to eat.  I am leaning towards the last.  It won't be a problem with the crock pot liners (I got more of those last week). 

I made a nice dent in the counter, got rid of some stuff I don't use, and put my new wooden spoons, and plastic spoons, away in my organizer.  I was happy to find assortments for $1 for 4 spoons.  My "new" saucepan has a non stick liner so I have to baby it. 

After I did all that, I took out my lentils and heated up a bowl.  They were still a little chewy.  Well, I did use old beans.  I am debating how cheap I want to be.  Do I want to throw away the remaining cup of lentils?  Or try to cook them (last time they were still a little tough after an hour?).  I think I will just use the new ones.  The lentil spices were better the first night, they didn't hold very well, but it was a decent meal.  I had a protein shake and some cheese with it, too.  I took my pills and they were OK with that.  Good to know. 

In about a week I will need to buy another block of cheese.  You get a lot of protein and flavor out of that cheese and at the rate I use it it lasts for weeks.  I might go ahead and put that on my list. 

I plan to go to bed early tonight so I can get up early and prep everything, throw it in the crock pot.  I forgot to buy more stock today but I always try to have some on hand so I just got it out of the pantry.  That's another thing I need to put on my list! 

That's it for now.  While Ron was pretty soaked most of the day he was decent and did not bother/disturb me.  He did give the cats a whole lot of treats.  I think he would be devastated if you took that away from him. 

I just need to remember to get him to change his shirt, tomorrow. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stew sounds so good yummy! I love lentils as well

Anonymous said...

So How does Ron clean up messes on the floor by himself? Being blind and having the mobility problems? How does he get in and out of the chair and if he’s “using a rag on his foot” how does he know if he got it all?

Heather Knits said...

Ron wraps an old t-shirt around his foot and moves it back and forth. feels the floor with his good hand. Asks me how it looks. Repeat. He can move one leg and arm pretty well. He uses them both to advantage.

We were even talking about strapping a mop head to his foot so he could use that.