Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The midnight call

Ron and I have a bit of a vocabulary.  Certain words, inflections, noises, etc.  It doesn't make much sense if you're standing outside but it supplements English as our primary language.  :p 

Ron makes one noise, kind of a "summoning" noise, "Urt" is the closest I can relate.  It means he needs me or he is just checking in.  Lately it has become more a demanding summoning thing I like less and less.  It isn't cute anymore. 

So, last night, in bed asleep.  Ron wakes me up making this noise.  "Where are you?"  I asked.  "I don't know, but I fell out of my wheelchair." 

I got up and found him, in his room, on the floor near his door.  He was drunk. 

It has never come up when he's sober, but if he fell out of his wheelchair while sober I would help him get back in.  I can do it, if he helps, but it is a strain on my back. 

If he's drunk, however, I do not help.  He just falls again and again and it becomes a game of "put me back in my wheelchair".  I don't want to play that game. 

I told him the location of his wheelchair, his location, and told him I was going back to bed.  He got upset.  I told him "It's the middle of the night!"  He wanted to know what time, exactly "2 in the damned morning!" I guessed (I was off by half an hour).  Told him I was NOT HAPPY he woke me up, let me sleep already, I am going back to bed. 

And I did just that, leaving him on the floor.  I am not playing drunk games.  If you fall on the floor, you can stay there until you sober up.  Lately it seems he is doing some asinine drunk thing every day or two, disturbing my sleep, etc.  It gets OLD.  I won't tell you what he did in the kitchen on Sunday night.

The drinking is worse than all his physical problems lumped together.  I will repeat that: the drinking is worse than all of his physical problems lumped together. 

I got up at 7:30, 5 hours later.  Ron is in bed and apparently unharmed.  I did the right thing.  I did not harm my back, I did not "play stupid games", I got most of my sleep.  I had a headache (not surprised) and took some Excedrin.  I will be good and manic for my doctor's appointment today. 

Speaking of, I need to take my shower so I don't scare anyone. 

2 comments:

Spankadoo said...

You absolutely did the correct thing. He needs a care taker not a game player and you need to guard your sleep like a rabid dog! There is nothing worse for someone with their OWN mental health issues than having sleep screwed with
He plans his black outs he can plan accordingly

Much love dear Heather

Heather Knits said...

I absolutely need consistent sleep. Now, if he's sober and falls out of bed I would be happy to help. But drunk games? No. And I was right, he got back into bed just fine on his own.