Monday, January 21, 2019

Nasty headache today

I slept pretty well but woke up with a headache.  I laid in bed, with Biscuit and Torbie, hitting the snooze alarm as he purred on top of me.  Then I suddenly remembered I had to do MEAL PREP!  I jumped up, put my long hair in a ponytail, and went into the kitchen. 

Since I have energy and depression issues I made it easy on myself.  I had a crock pot liner, I put that in the pot and make sure it was snug.  Then I got out the potatoes, baby reds.  I cut up the big ones but left the smaller ones whole.  I love potatoes in some nice, rich, stock.  I had purchased a bag of presliced carrots, I grabbed a handful of those and put them on top of the potatoes.  Out came the frozen chopped onions (bought that way, although I suppose I could put Ron on chopping duty or do it while manic).  A handful of them and I was done with the veggies. 

Out came the meat, a 3 pound tray at the use-by date, today.  I got 2 stand up gallon freezer bags.  I would not be able to cook it all today so I will freeze it, frozen, prepared and ready to cook.  I did one for you, one for you, one for the crock pot, until I ran out of meat.  Each bag, and the pot, had about a pound of meat. 

I wore a disposable glove for the meat-handling part.  I don't like the way it feels and I believe it is more sanitary.  Threw away the glove when finished. 

Time for the stock, premade of course, but very good.  All the stew recipes said to use about a cup, so that's what I did.  One cup.  I capped the stock (it is in a tetra-pack) and put it back in the fridge. 

Lastly, the seasonings.  A common proportion seemed to be 1/4 t each salt and pepper, per pound of stew meat.  That sounded about right so I did that.  I got a likely-looking bay leaf and tossed it in the pot. 

Done!  I put the lid on, plugged it in, and turned it on. 

I still had a vicious headache after a Mountain Dew and 2 Excedrin.  I got another Mountain Dew to drink during my shower.  Often, I can manage a screaming headache with insane amounts of caffeine.  It is ironic because, on a day off at home, I only use about 70 mg of caffeine.  Less than half a cup of coffee. 

I took a shower with very hot water.  They did not do the safety feature (and I'm glad of it) when they installed my hot water heater so I get some HOT water.  I drank the Mountain Dew while bathing.  I felt better when I got out. 

I just have to go to work (not for very long) and I am done for the day.   Ron wants his free birthday dinner today so we are going out for that, later. 

I guess my stew will have time to "mingle the flavors" before eating.  If I like the way it tastes I will bag up the ingredients with my meat and pour the stock on top, then freeze.  I already labeled and dated the bags (not something I normally do) so I will know the exact age and contents. 

Nice to know my food will be cooking while I'm at work, and I am "done" cooking it.  All I have to do now is scoop it out of the bag. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I thought the post office was closed today for martin Luther king day

Heather Knits said...

Processing center (where I work) is ALWAYS open. Even during floods and hurricanes. Happily that means "we" also have a generator to run the vending machines when most places are out of order.

Some people commented they were surprised to see us, but the machines needed filling so we went.