Saturday, January 19, 2019

Early Hours

A cold front blew into Houston today, literally.  We have had clear, cold, weather and extremely gusty winds.  Happily Ron and I have decent winter coats.  I wouldn't worry about having a "good' coat if I had a car, but when waiting outside on a ride, it's essential. 

I got up, showered, checked Ron, fed the cats, etc.  I brought my insulated tote bag with some frozen "keepers" to keep my stew meat cold.  I like stew and can eat a lot of it. 

I planned to buy a 3 pound package, split it 3 ways with vegetables, stock, and seasoning.  Cook one, freeze the other 2.  Then when I want a good dinner just take one out a day or two ahead to thaw, and then throw in my crock pot liner and cook.  Great depression food and a great source of red meat with minimal cleanup. 

So I brought the tote.  Our ride arrived on time and we had a straight trip.  On the way, I started talking about gun control, and how, if someone is determined to kill another person, they will do it.  I think I made the driver a little uncomfortable but I was trying to make a point.  Yes, forbid ownership to felons and crazy people, but the average guy is not going to go off.  The ones who go off almost always got their guns illegally anyway. 

We got to Sam's, went in, I got a cart.  Ron gave me the money and I started shopping.  I found a nice stew meat with just a little bit of fat on it, but I liked the color of the meat better than the others.  Into the cart.  Some muffins for Jack (I always get him a treat), and then all my work shopping. 

As I checked out they told me I would HAVE to upgrade to "Plus".  Why?  If I wanted early hours, I would have to be a "plus".  I said I would have to talk to Ron.  I did.  He was furious but said to go ahead. 

I finished the transaction.  Ron was escalating and even more angry.  He asked to see a manager, I got one and brought her over.  He shouted at her for a few minutes and she placated him.  He finally settled down when she told him he would get cash back on the money spent.  According to the register, that would be some hundreds.  He was happy to hear that (who wouldn't?). 

We waited a little while.  I got a drink.  I wasn't hungry and Ron had eaten beef jerky for breakfast.  That can only help him. 

I had my stew meat tucked away in my bag, next to a frozen water bottle and the freezer pack designed for large lunches.  It stayed cold all the way. 

We loaded the truck.  It was freezing out, very miserable with the cold gusts, and I helped Jack load as quickly as possible.  We got that done and went to work. 

We unloaded and got it all in the building, I put everything away.  Then, the main part of the program: helping Ron.  I did that for a while until we got it all done, then I did snacks for a while.  I didn't have time to do everything but it will hold until Monday. 

Then I put everything away.  Probably the most challenging part of my job, other than putting the bottled drinks in the fridge, is picking up two of my hand carts and resting them on top of my soda.  That gets a little challenging.  I need to get new carts.  I love our old guy, but plastic carts just don't work, in my line of work.  I need something metal.  I need a trip to the tool store (we have 2) or a restaurant supply place and buy one good metal cart I can pick up (even with a new cart, I still have severe space issues). 

I saw the other vendor's wife.  She was meeting the repairman.  Major problems with a couple of her machines.  Good thing the state pays her back for repairs! 

Finally done and we left, but stayed inside, by the front door.  The front door does not look out to the street. 

This is the nice thing about everyone knowing our business: one guy came in and said "Your bus is outside".  I thanked him and took Ron out.  Ron was very glad of his coat, even though he still hasn't figured out the zipper.  We went out and loaded. 

The driver is originally from CA, hated it here, and plans to go back.  I told him about a "good job" near our home at a warehouse.  If he really hates paratransit that much. 

I think it's like work, it's a good job, but you have to put effort into it.  You don't get the "good" hours but you get a decent wage, and you go home tired.  But it's not "easy" and that's what a lot of kids these days want, good money, easy job.  The only way to do that is selling yourself, or drugs! 

We got home.  I remembered to put my meat in the fridge.  It was still miserable cold out and the cats were in the house.  Torbie was smack in the middle of my bed, not looking like she planned to budge at all. 

I made sure Ron was OK (he decided to start drinking) and took a nap. 

Ron called Chuck and they had an animated discussion for a while.  Good.  I want them talking while Chuck is helping me, it avoids awkwardness. 

I woke up with a nasty headache but still tried to stay in my nice warm bed for a while.  I had Biscuit and Torbie with me.  But some kids down the way were shouting and screaming very loudly (out in this weather?) so I went ahead and got up.  Took some headache pills, got on the computer. 

I looked for stew meat recipes.  I plan to make one pound batches (1 lb of meat).  So the best info I have says 1/4 each t salt and pepper per pound, some potatoes and carrots, a bay leaf.  1 cup stock.  I need to get some "good" potatoes (the red ones) at Walmart tomorrow and then cook it probably Monday. 

We still have to work but I'm OK with that.  At least I get tomorrow off, and my trip to Walmart. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It may be easier if you keep his coat zipped and just have him wear it like a pull over? It is bulky but it is easier with a tricky zipper

Heather Knits said...

Well, I might do that, but, honestly it only gets cold maybe a week a year, total. A day or two here and there. Last time was November when we left on our trip.

It is hard to get "tops" off and on due to the partly paralyzed right arm. I have to help a lot, which I'm happy to do.