Thursday, January 31, 2019

Days like these

Before I bitch and moan I need to say I went to Swanson and ordered months' worth of migraine prevention herbs.  They have worked well for me in the past, no reason they wouldn't work now. 

So, that said: I slept OK but woke up with a crushing migraine.  I will try to use a different adjective each time.  It was very bad, I took a shower and even the smell of my bath soap made me gag.  Thank God my current shampoo is not strong. 

I got dressed.  Ron asked if he looked OK, code phrase for "Do I need to change?"  I decided he looked "good enough".  I did not want to help him change. 

I didn't eat.  I drank a Mountain Dew. 

Our ride came.  She did not speak good English, she had a very heavy accent and it is apparent she does not speak English on a regular basis.  She most likely speaks spanish at home and does not "think" in English.  When you are fluent, you learn to think in the other language. 

She treated us like criminals, banging on the door, demanding Ron's ID, etc.  It is apparent he is a client.  He looks very disabled.  You can see that from the photos. 

When we got to work she wouldn't park where I told her to go, drove around "looking for a better spot", couldn't find one, and tried, TWICE, to park in posted police parking spots.  I told her we couldn't do that.  Then she tried to park next to the posted police parking spot.  3 times she tried to do that, total.  I finally told her to let me out, I would walk over to the right spot, and wave her in.  Then she decided to do what I had been telling her for the last 5 minutes. 

I told her we WOULD have gotten in trouble with the police had we gone with "her" plan.  She looked at me, dead serious, and told me in her terrible English "I say you tell me to park there, when they come". 

I was pissed. 

We went in.  We had enough time to do everything.  The headache was variable but never got "better" or to anything approaching acceptable, but happily I did not need to do a lot of heavy lifting.  I helped him first and then did my work, that seems to work best for us.  He stayed busy in the stockroom while I worked. 

We left and went to the bank.  We had a good ride.  A woman stood behind us as I got Ron through the door (not easy because half the door is broken), watching us, refusing to help, then walked through as I was holding it for Ron.  Bitch.  Could have helped. 

And then she said "Thank you" like I meant to hold it for her! 

We went in and made our deposit.  Ron gave me $20, which I appreciated.  I am never going to be haughty and refuse it, I can have a lot of fun with $20. 

We had a little bit of a wait.  I was tired and my feet were sore from standing in my work boots.  A mexican woman let her toddler girl run wild all over the only couch that faced the parking lot.  I was unable to sit and see if our ride had arrived.  The little girl ran off and the mother chased her, taking the bag she had set on the couch to "claim their spot".  I sat down.  The mother was irked when she came back, but got a look at Ron and decided not to complain. 

And I'm not going to apologize for "taking" 2 feet of an 8 foot long couch. 

Our ride arrived.  We told the driver all about Glucosamine.  He was interested. 

We went to our favorite taqueria.  Now, for the record, all of these trips today were paratransit and thus "free".  So no yelling at me over cab fares!  :) 

We got there.  They have a really good $8 lunch special: fajitas, chicken, shrimp, and beef, lots of meat, charro bean soup, rice, and guacamole.  Ron and I don't like pico but they had that too. 

My headache was back to ghastly so I ordered 2 very small cheese quesadillas.  Ron ordered the special.  I also ordered a fajita burrito (they store well) to go, for later, when I felt better.  And I will feel better eventually. 

Ron worked on his charros and haltingly scooped some rice into the bowl.  I offered to help but he said no.  One big thing about Ron: he doesn't want help unless he asks.  If he looks like he is having trouble I will ask but nearly always he says no and I respect that.   He ate and got full just off the beans. 

I ate my food.  He encouraged me to sample his, and I nibbled a little.  The pepper they had put on the chicken seemed to help my head, but it was still pretty awful. 

We paid and went home.  I was utterly miserable.  I put the food away and crawled into bed with Torbie.  I laid down for a couple of hours, not an easy time but resting helped.  Torbie left at some point, and Biscuit joined me. 

I got up.  I was pretty miserable.  Biscuit wanted dinner.  I wasn't queasy today but I wasn't far from it.  So I did not want to face a smelly can of cat food. 

I am one of those people, my sense of smell is elevated during a migraine.  One reason I bought a nice bar of unscented shea butter soap for days like these. 

I fed Biscuit a double portion of dry food.  He was OK with that, but upset at me when he realized he wouldn't be getting any wet food.  He'll live.  I'm sure he can smell I am in pain. 

I got on the computer for a while and decided I did not want to be one of those moaners who moans and cries about physical problems, but does nothing to fix them.  Like the diabetic who is always eating full sugar cheesecake. 

I bought some herbs, butterbur and feverfew,  I bought the bar of soap I mentioned, and one of the lemongrass soap I like.  I got to checkout and I thought I had better buy DOUBLE the migraine herbs so I don't have to screw around with reordering in a month.  Because I will probably forget and then the headaches again... no thanks.  I am also strongly inclined to set up auto ship so I can just get it in the mail box without doing anything. 

I also got a bottle of Milk Thistle, it is very good for the liver and I like to do a bottle of it every year or so to keep things tuned.  All that with shipping was $35.  That's why I love Swanson. 

My grapefruit spoon arrived.  And I have a nice looking, cold, grapefruit in the fridge.  When I feel up to it I am so eating some.  I love grapefruit. 

Ron had a bad afternoon, for pain.  We were a pair.  It is awful to say, but at least we don't have an imbalance of one is always "better" than the other and wanting to do things the other can't.  No, we are both pretty tragic at times. 

He did say he was hungry, and ate, total, two large bowls of the beans and rice with ham, finishing it off.  Good, glad he liked it.  It was super easy to make.  It was MY beans that were the pain, last night. 

While he ate I washed out the pot (I had stored them in the pot).  It was easy because it is non stick.  It took about 2 minutes and that includes the lid.  I can do that, even on my worst days (today). 

And he is eating real food, that is unprocessed and healthy.  That can only be good for us both. 

Ron has tons of leftovers from today, and I have both the grapefruit and a giant burrito the size of my forearm.  I don't need to worry about feeding us, tomorrow. 

Tomorrow should be fun, I really hope I feel better.  Chewy package arrives, 11 pounds of cat food (they don't need it right now but I want to replace the one I just opened), glucosamine cat treats (my bet, the other cats will like it and the intended target, Torbie, won't), and some regular cat treats.  Then I get my produce box.  I will take a photo of that.  It came to $26 with delivery. 

It is a little "more" than Walmart would have been but it comes right to the door and had a very good variety.  I will try it at least a few times. 

I like the concept of having fresh food show up on the porch. 

Monday I get my curry powder.  I am having a lot of fun with curries lately.   Sometime after that I get the Swanson package. 

And that is it for deliveries.  Plenty!  I have spent more of my money online than in person, this pay period.  I still have a decent amount of cash.  I don't have a big expense at the beginning of the month, just a couple of smallish autopays, 

I had to take an overwhelming amount of caffeine laden headache pills today, so my existing mania is enhanced.  It's a good thing I am staying home tomorrow or I would have no budget left. 

Some times, in the past, I blew the whole check the day I got paid.  I don't want to go back to that. 

Headache is better but not great.  At least I am not hating life like I was earlier. 

Still no appetite for that grapefruit.  I have learned to be patient.  If I eat too soon it will not end well. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im on a roasting vegetables kick. Lay them all out on a cookie sheet and get a nice char on them
Red abd green peppers potatoes squash and onion. They are loaded with vit. C and potassium. You can eat off of them all week. I make my breakfast bowl 2 eggs in a bowl greased with butter whio with a fork with huge spoon of roasted veggies and 2 minutes in the microwave.

Status M Disarray said...

If I could have only two appliances (and I can only have two but I have a few more I just can only use them one at a time due to space) I adore the Instant pot look it up you could get rid of a rice pot a pressure cooker and a crockpot . I use it for perfect boiled eggs as well as curries beans and stews . The second thing ? OMG I am sold on the fun of an air fryer they take as much space as the size of the one you buy mine is like a blender sized. It does EVERYthing from baking a cake to making fried chicken , it makes everything crispy and I love the darn thing! .
With these two things I do everything I need to with minimal mess and no having to work with the stove.