Friday, January 4, 2019

The knock on the door

I venture most of my readers are women, so you won't be too horrified to read this: I like to be comfortable in my own home.  The bra comes off, the jeans come off, etc., when I am at home in my natural environment.  I've done this pretty much my whole married life. 

In fact, the day of Ron's accident I was awakened by frantic knocking on the door.  I went to the door, naked, and opened it, thinking Ron had left his keys at work.  It was not Ron, it was a friend here to tell me Ron got run over.  That "broke" me for a little while but then I went back to business as usual, oversized bathrobe at the ready in case of knocks on the door. 

If I have a delivery coming I stay dressed.  No sense freaking out the pizza man. 

Most days, especially soda deliveries, we get up very early, come home, take a nap.  Ron had been up all night reading a talking book so he did not wake up when I did.  He kept sleeping the entire afternoon.  He had made some calls while I was asleep, but I didn't hear the content. 

Around 5:30 I am awakened by ringing of the doorbell.  How rude, someone disturbing me.  I got the bathrobe.  Then they began knocking on the door.  I opened the door, all ready to tell them I got up at 2 AM, I don't want your crap, go away and leave me alone. 

And it's a cab driver we know very well.  I thought Ron had left something in the cab, but the driver said no, "I've been trying to call, Ron called me for 'his medicine'".  That is what Ron calls it sometimes.   Well, crap.  There I am standing in my loud yellow bathrobe on the porch, looking at his eager face (Ron pays well above the cost of the liquor).  I told him I would be right back. 

I went back in the house, Ron was awake.  "Who was that" I told him, also the part about not able to call Ron.  Ron said he turned his phone off to sleep, and he would take care of it.  I pushed the button to open the garage, so the guy could get the vodka moved and get out of the cold, while Ron paid him, apologizing. 

The driver left, happy.  And that is Ron's liquor delivery service.  He calls, they go buy the alcohol with their own money, Ron pays them back and then probably $30-40 on top of it for their trouble.  I would have sent the guy away, but he had already paid for the alcohol with his own money and that wouldn't have been fair to him. 

Once the garage door was down again, Ron went out there and extracted a 2 liter bottle of vodka, happily dragging it into the house like a caveman with a fresh kill.  I ditched the bathrobe and went to bed early. 

I do have to add, in his defense, he "let" me sleep.  Nothing bothered me all night except Torbie getting on the bed to get in her house.  I slept with Biscuit and Torbie all night, got up at 8:30 with a headache. 

My big goal for today is scheduling Ron's MRI.  Once we get that done I might go to Walmart.  Probably with the same driver who brought the alcohol - I never blame the driver for that, they are just making money. 

One person who will remain un-named once told me he would buy alcohol for Ron as long as I "didn't have a  problem" with it.  They did business for a while, but one night Ron was really awful with the verbal abuse and I had it.  I called this person and explained the situation, verbal abuse all night, "I have a problem with it now" and he continued buying alcohol for Ron.  I would have rather he not said that about being willing to stop, if he wasn't.  Maybe I wasn't clear enough in the phone call, but I was almost in tears and very upset. 

But a cab driver, who is just trying to pay the bills?  No, I don't have a problem.  Ron has 2 guys ready to do this at a phone call.  The one guy even knows his brand. 

I was a little surprised Ron bought 6 bottles, he had been getting 4.  I guess he feels he needs it. 

So, big goal today: schedule the MRI.  Once that is done I am "free to go".  At some point I need to call my insurance and change my primary doctor.  Houston has 4 area codes that I know about.  713 (downtown) 281 (next area out), 832 (mainly cell phones) and 346 (?) - newest.  I am looking for a 281 doctor, the one they gave me is a 713, which means a LONG ride on public transit.  And who wants to do all that when they're sick?  Not me.  We have a pretty big practice several miles away.  Ron uses them as his primary so it would be best if I went there, they have imaging in site, etc.  And a nice reasonable ride in a cab (time and money wise). 

And of course we have to do the monthly report.  So we will be very busy the next week. 

1.  Pain doc appointment after work Monday.
2.  I see my doctor Tuesday, for my tune-up (psychiatrist), things are going well so that should be pretty easy. 
3.  On the 10th, Ron has another appointment. 
4.  Report is due on the 10th. 

I did my end of things, I did the "meter readings" so Ron can log our sales.  The rest is pretty much up to him. 

Now probably time for my shower. 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

You guys make pretty darn good money since he is able to give a cab driver a 40.00 tip. Not to mention all the other extra tips you give cab drivers and always going out out to eat. It almost makes me want to be blind so I could get a cushy government paid for job like you guys have. Kudos to you both!

Heather Knits said...

Envy much? We keep our expenses to a minimum and I will remind you **no car expenses** so we have discretionary.

Ron and I believe you get what you give, and, if we can give a tip for good service we will do so. It ensures the cab will come the next time you call. To Ron, with the alcohol, it is worth it not to try to find someone who will fetch it for him.

"Going out to eat" can be pretty variable. We seldom eat out at the nice places because he wouldn't fit in. Yesterday we had a couple of Wendy's hamburgers from a drive-through, eaten at home.

I wouldn't call getting up at 2 AM to go to manual labor (me) "cushy", either. It is hard, sweaty work. Ron worries constantly about my health. I do my best to take care of it because it is all literally riding on my back.

I almost hate to get my bleeding issue checked out, worry they will say I need surgery and a long recovery time.

It's not a life I would want for anyone.

Anonymous said...

No normal person gives a cab driver a $40.00 tip that is most ridiculous and shows that you must have money to burn since you flash it around like that. Give me a break. And yes you probably do get paid a lot more than minimum wage - here's to living the good life off the backs of taxpayers. And you only went to Wendy's yesterday because you didn't feel like going out not because you couldn't afford it.

Heather Knits said...

Wow. A lot of vitriol. I actually told Ron about your (? I assume same person both comments) comment and he said "I pay him because he gets it right, he doesn't bring me the wrong brand, size, etc." and he budgets for it. You don't budget for things that are important to you? That's what Ron does. Outside of work, all he does is lie in bed listening to TV and talking books. Those are his hobbies.

You remind me of some of the customers. They look at the vending machines and think we "own" them (we do not). They think, as a result of that, we must be "rich". We are not. But it is impossible to prove we don't "have money to burn" to someone who wants to believe otherwise.

I will pose it like this, then. Why would I wait around forever for, outside, in bad neighborhoods, surly drivers, questionable other clients, etc if it wasn't the only way I could get around? If I could afford it, don't you think I would take a nice clean vehicle everywhere I go? A straight trip that came when I called? I know I would! But instead I am stuck in filthy vehicles with long wait times, outside in the weather. Because that's all we can afford.

My health insurance is about $400, and is half my pay. I also pay for my own prescriptions.

Both Ron and I simply feel that treating other people well should be a priority, and I agree with him. You would have seizures over what he gives some of the cab drivers, but, with one exception, I have always supported him on that because I agree it is better to live a little "lower" and treat a service person "right". If someone drops everything and comes out in the pouring, freezing, rain and cheerfully puts the wheelchair in and out of the cab, Ron's going to reward that. As I think he should. We are in near total agreement on this one.

And we will eat at Wendy's instead of somewhere more expensive so we have the money to do it. I won't feel bad about that - I will laugh at you for trying.

Anonymous said...

So either you are getting paid $800 a week or $800 a month from your post. If it is weekly yes you are doing very well. If monthly you seriously need to get an actual real job. Why don't you tell Ron that I think he is an idiot for giving such large tips to cab drivers? And why do I think you wait around for public transportation all the time when Ron won't go with you places? That is easy because Ron won't give you money for a cab. If he didn't tip so much and you didn't go out to eat practically every single day you would be able to use that money for cab rides (as long as you tipped the reasonable amount for the trip) instead of having to take the bus.

You may want to add up all that tip money and meals you eat out and see exactly how much you are spending on those things every month. Who knows it might be eye opening for you.

Heather Knits said...

I make $800 a month.

Ron covers mortgage, electric, gas, etc. After insurance I have enough to buy cat food, litter, cleaning supplies, clothes, etc. I have learned to live pretty cheap.

My energy level is crap. On a good night I sleep 12 hours, the stuff I take is exhausting. But it works so I'm not going to bitch about it.

After work, Ron, home, cats not much energy left for Heather. My online life is about "it" for me.

Anonymous said...

Heather if you're happy what you do with your money is no one's business and you don't have to explain yourself to strangers. No wonder your depressed today.