Monday, January 28, 2019

Produce box

I logged into my account at the appropriate time and clicked on customize.  They had a list of stuff they had already planned to send me, and I had the option to edit. 

I took out the mushrooms, but, if I liked mushrooms, they had a lot.  I also got rid of the cilantro.  They had a pretty good proportion of organics, which I was "allowed" to buy even though I have a "conventional" box.  I got mainly seasonal produce, citrus, etc.  I did splurge on some organic dates.  They weren't much more than the conventional dates and not a large package.  I got potatoes, stuff like that. 

I would like to eat seasonally, stuff like that has got to have more nutrition, but I did get some blueberries from Chile because I love berries.  I liked how they had each imperfection listed so I could decide if it was something I wanted. 

A lot of it was "surplus" - too much of it on the market.  Other things had cosmetic issues that won't matter to me. 

So far it has been a good experience. 

Now I'm off to snack on my sugar snap peas because I have more coming on Friday. 

2 comments:

Spankadoo said...

So glad the produce box works for you! Do you ever visit your local farmers markets? I hear there are some nice once’s in Houston?

Heather Knits said...

I did, once, and got some great stuff. BUT it was 2 hours each way on the bus. I could have driven to San Antonio in that amount of time. So better to pay a little more and have it dropped on my porch.

It's going to be interesting in the summer, though. A lot of stuff won't keep on the porch in that heat. But I will worry about that when summer arrives, or I can get that produce delivered from Walmart.

Happily I am finding a lot of options that work for me.