Thursday, January 3, 2019

"I thought you had a forklift!"

I went to bed early last night but I had a lot of trouble falling asleep.  I don't get it.  I go to bed at 7:30 PM and no trouble, dropping off.  I go to bed at 6-6:30 and I can't fall asleep until after 9.  I think it's because I know I need to sleep, early. 

If I were ever going to use a sleep medication that might be one occasion.  But I am utterly terrified of them. 

I got up at a little before 3.  I had planned to get up at 2 but was just too damn tired.  I took an abbreviated shower and got Ron dressed. 

Our driver came early, we thought (turns out they had rescheduled the pickup for 15 minutes earlier).  Once we got that sorted out, Ron and I loaded, off we went to pick up the "girl" who works at the airport.  She has a slight intellectual limitation. 

Ron, if you can check the time code on my first post of the day, started early, going on about "Believe in Jesus, or it's your fault I'm blind".  What?! 

I can't talk about it directly until I get permission from Ron, but a therapist once said he had some issues around being blind.  So I suppose it is good he is getting them out, but how do you tell someone they are So Very Wrong?

For a while he was saying he didn't know why he went blind, he didn't do anything to "deserve" it, he was a helpless baby.  Yes.  But sometimes God needs us crippled.  He kept saying there must have been something he did, or was going to do, that led to him being "punished" with blindness.  I managed to help him through that but the latest is just flat out embarrassing, offensive (God doesn't operate that way - I will keep Ron blind until 48 people believe), and awkward. 

Not to mention, he will lose his job if he ever does get his sight back.  He finally shut up about it, after I kept asking him to.  I really think he could use some counseling. 

Then he asked the driver if she was a democrat, and what did she think about the border wall?  The driver, wisely, didn't "bite".  I reminded Ron we don't talk politics on the van. 

But Ron kept trying to be the outrageous one, the trouble maker, the rule breaker.  That is how he sees himself.  That was fun and exciting for a 17 year old mentally ill girl with brain damage, but now it is tedious and embarrassing.  When I get a good moment, I am going to ask Ron about that: "Do you always have to be the 'rebel'?"

It may be the only way he thinks he can be original and memorable, to be the rule breaker.  But it gets old for me. 

We dropped the other client off, then we went to work.  I decided to help Ron with canned sodas, bottled sodas, and then do what I could for snacks.  I didn't have a lot of snacks, because I was told our driver would take a week off after I had already bought supplies for one week.  And I needed 2 weeks, but it was too late.  Supplies are very low. 

So I helped Ron for a while.  We finished the canned soda and were moving on to the bottled, when the delivery man called.  I went out to meet him, toting my mag liner. 

He was not excited to see a folding hand cart.  "I thought you had a forklift!  Do you have a guy to help?"  I had to say no to both, all I had, I told him "Was a blind man in a wheelchair".  We got the soda in the building and he worked on his computer while I started unloading.  Then he came in the stockroom and helped me finish. 

We got him paid, receipt, he left.  Ron had finished the bottled soda while I had gotten the delivery. 

He decided to "run (sort) change" while I did snacks.  So we did that. 

When I came to tell him I was finished he was attempting to run the same amount again.  What he did meant I had to sort it again.  I tried not to be ugly, but I was impatient.  I had been on my feet for quite a while, my feet hurt, etc.  We had some tension as we finished up. 

Ron finally got his bucket with 2,000 nickels ($100).  He was really adamant he wanted to get rid of them, via deposit, at the bank.  It wasn't even getting the money so much as it was getting rid of the nickels. 

So we got it, into the bag.  Ron left to get into his other wheelchair.  I put the carts away, it was a little challenging because the root beer was stacked very high.  I actually physically lift two carts and put them on top of the soda stacks.  I did that.  I got everything put away and locked it up.  I got Ron in his home wheelchair (he has one he keeps at work, with no arms on it), and we put the coins in his lap.  Then I took him up front. 

It was pouring rain and freezing cold.  Well, shit.  Ron called Arturo, and he came.  We all got soaked loading Ron, the wheelchair, and the change.  We went to the bank. 

There was a guy in front of us, opened the door, getting ready to slam it in our faces.  I remember thinking "I bet you think you're a nice guy - ASSHOLE!" and he held it for us.  I thanked him and smiled, pushed Ron into the building. 

We didn't want to mess with the coins any longer, so we got in line and deposited them, then we went off in a corner and counted some $1 bills Ron had me take out of the machine today.  Then we got back in line and did our banking business. 

We finished up (it was really quiet) and called Arturo again.  He was happy to come, especially when he heard the nickels were gone.  He cheerfully shoved the wheelchair back in the trunk and we went through a drive-through. 

Ron didn't want to go out later, it was cold and raining.  I understood that, and we went through the drive-through instead.  I got a Baconator.  So did Ron.  We forgot to - no, we did ask Arturo if he wanted something and he said he'd just eaten. 

We went home, I got Ron in the house.  I ate my sandwich and took my medication.  Then I laid down for a nap. 

Ron was feeling chatty and made a couple of phone calls.  I fell asleep anyway.  I slept for a couple of hours and woke up with a bad headache.  I got up and took some headache pills.  Ron was passed out, in his wheelchair, in the kitchen.  I scooted him off to one side and made a couple of lemonades over the next couple hours.  He snored away. 

I don't bother him if he seems to have been drinking, and I didn't.  I got online for a while and he woke up about 15 minutes ago.  He got "lost" trying to find his bed, so I took him there.  I think it is the pain medicine makes him foggy. 

I hope so. 

He is in bed now and will probably be there most of the night.  I will help him if he needs it.  I plan to go watch some TV for a while and go to bed early. 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a general rule people do well with 3mg of melatonin in combo with their psych meds, has your doc ever suggested it? I would ask him if you have not tried it. The first time I used it I had nightmares but then tried it again and never did again so I am not sure if I would have had the nightmares anyway.
We spend so much time chasing symtoms trying to balance our brain chemicals while keeping other parts safe!
some folks can look at people with serious issues and think “they just need this diet or that” or “ they just need to knock it off”

Thanks so much for all the insight into your own illness it is very validating to know that people can control mental illness but there is a trade off with everything and sometimes you have ot choose your poison from an unpleasant selection ! OOOXXX