Tuesday, January 15, 2019

I went to Walmart on the bus - it only took 4 hours

I woke up pretty early.  I brushed my teeth, fed the cats, and offered Ron breakfast.  He declined, rudely, insulting me.  He has called me some variation of "stomach" several times today and I was out of the house for most of it. 

I ate my breakfast.  Learning that I should take my iron pill absent ANY form of calcium has been revealing.  For once, since I started doing that the dizzy spells have improved dramatically.  Since this all started I have lost probably 23 ounces of blood, so I'll take all the help I can get.  I was already taking the iron with C, but this really put it over the top.  I can even taste it in my mouth. 

That done, I took my shower.  I washed my hair, thinking I might get it trimmed when I went to Walmart.  2 things: the ends are bad, and my hair is starting to get caught in the seat screws on the big vans.  It is very painful and yanks out the hair when I move.  I would like to trim the length a little and prevent that from happening. 

I got out and got dressed.  I told Ron I was leaving and asked if he wanted anything.  He thought of a few things and gave me some money, and cab fare one way. 

I got my bus pass, put on my hoodie, and left. 

I normally walk on the south side of the street, it is easier walking.  Today I was really glad I did because a large, vicious, dog was on the north side and REALLY wanted to bite me.  It was enraged.  All because I was walking down the street.  A lot of people walk past, it's not going to end well.  Which has got me thinking I need to get a stun gun.  I couldn't take it to work, but I could sure use it times out. 

I was about half a block away, on the wrong side of a busy street, when I saw my bus go by.  Well, shit.  At least I had plenty of time to cross, I am always very careful around traffic since the accident. 

I got to the bus stop and waited.  There is a large, vacant, wooded lot at the location.  One paratransit client had vapors over it and said she would never feel safe waiting there.  Well, when I got robbed, it was the "nice" "Open" side of the street.  Well, he tried to rob me.  :p 

I waited over half an hour, but he finally arrived.  I got on and chatted a little with the driver, who was interested until I mentioned I had a husband.  Oh, well.  There goes my big chance to bag a bus driver.  I actually wouldn't have a problem dating one, if I were single.  But I'm not. 

He took me to the transit center.  It was pretty uneventful except for this; we were making a left on a VERY busy road, the light changed to green, he hit the gas and BAM all of a sudden this fool runs in front of the bus, trying to catch it.  He made it across the street.  (The driver hit the brake properly)  Idiot ran the equivalent of a couple blocks to the next bus stop and got on, not even breathing hard.  At least he was in shape.  But I was just horrified. 

We got to the transit center.  There are a lot of poles there with the numbers of the bus.  You have to know the number, and direction, of your bus so you can board the right one.  I hunted and found mine in pretty short order.  I double and triple checked it. 

Out of practice for a while, I wasn't quite sure I still "had it".  But it said the right number, and the right direction.  A homeless guy wandered around, picking through the garbage can.  He bothered the other guy at the stop and then started to approach me.  I got out my phone and called Ron (see, he helps).  The minute I did so the guy bolted in the other direction.  I had a short conversation and hung up. 

And look, there's the bus!  I was happy to see it.  She opened the door, sitting in her seat.  I asked if she was going (direction) and she said yes, but not for 15 minutes.  I asked if I could come in and sit down, because my feet hurt.  They didn't much like standing in the cheap shoes I chose to wear. 

She laughed and said that was fine, but reminded me again I would have to wait.  I said that was fine.  I beeped my card and sat down. 

I don't feel bad sitting in the disabled seating because I have 2 disabilities, but if someone who has trouble getting around shows, and there are no other seats, I give it to them.  It says "Disabled" on my bus card. 

Another driver showed up to relieve the first one, then the second driver put her stuff away, got off, and began smoking.  But she was not on the bus so no complaints.  After the allotted time, she got back in the seat and drove us. 

It was pretty uneventful, except for the wheelchair.  Now the disabled seating folds up to make room for the wheelchair, so I got up and sat farther back.  I pushed the button for the Walmart stop and got off.  Then I walked across the parking lot (long walk!) to the "right" door. 

I was pretty done.  I didn't have much money (although Ron said he will give me some more) and I just wanted to get my business over with so I could go home. 

I paid the electric bill.  The clerk asked about Ron, I thought that was nice, and I passed it on to Ron when I got home.  Then I went to produce. 

I am trying to eat better, and that includes more produce.  Since I didn't have anyone with me I could take my time looking around.  I would like a grapefruit but I am going to wait on my produce delivery box.  I forgot how much I liked grapefruit until I saw them. 

But I should probably wait and talk to the pharmacist to see if it will interact with any of my medications. 

Carrots were easy.  I got the presliced ones in the cold food section.  I didn't know about my ride home, which meant probably a bad idea to get greens (you can see why I am looking forward to having it delivered).  I went over to the potatoes.  They had some nice looking ones but they were 67 cents a pound, loose.  I didn't know how many potatoes I would need to make my beef stew, but I like a lot of them in it.  I thought about it for a while and decided to get some semi-local (from NW Texas) potatoes.  They were $2.47 for a five pound bag, which would definitely be enough. 

I went down my list, adding things to the cart and adding a total in my head.  I only had a certain amount of money and it had to last 2 weeks, so I didn't want a high total. 

Another thing I love, but haven't eaten in ages: kidney beans.  I got a couple cans of those.  I plan to have some with quinoa for dinner.  I had a hell of a time finding the quinoa.  They were moving the contents of the freezer around (I like the precooked, heat and eat variety), and I didn't see it.  So I asked.  He had never heard of it.  I had to explain and he told me it would probably be with the broccoli.  I went back and found it, two kinds even.  Into the cart. 

Ron wanted another bottle of juice so he could use the bottle for a urinal.  He liked the cider bottle the best and actually gave me money to buy it.  I threw that in the cart.  I got some chips for me, and cat treats for Ron.  Ron always needs cat treats.  He is very generous with them. 

Most protein powder comes from whey, or cows, in some way, shape, or form.  I have no problem with that BUT dairy doesn't get along with iron!  And I wanted a protein I could do in the morning without messing up my iron intake.  I found 2 "plant protein" powders.  Both of them, surprisingly, in vanilla.  I can do vanilla, but chocolate will give me a migraine.  So I got both.  That was my big indulgence for this trip. 

I got everything but the tub mat (doh!) and checked out.  The total wasn't too bad.  I had enough change in hand (literally) to buy a sandwich from the value menu at McDonald's. 

I took my cart outside.  I called Arturo.  He was across town and sounded very apologetic.  I was glad he had such a good trip, though.  I tried to call Alex and the call wouldn't go through.  I had Ron call him. 

Ron called me back, said he was on the way.  I ate my burger and some chips, along with some of my Caffeine Free Diet Coke.  I try to control the caffeine intake as much as possible. 

Alex came, we went home.  I put everything away and then took the trash out early.  I didn't want to take it out tonight or tomorrow, I wanted it out now.  The can was very full and heavy as I missed one pickup last week. 

On my way back to the house, I encountered the black and white cat that's been hanging around.  I talked to him (I checked, it's a boy) as he meowed at me.  I put my hand down and he came over, I pet his head.  He liked that.  I started walking towards the front door and he ran ahead, eager to go in the house.  I stepped on a twig, and he ran off. 

I would have never let him in the house.  Close up, it is very apparent he is someone's pet, he has a collar (no name, just decorative), is a little plump, good coat, social, not my usual rescue by any means.  And I'm not stealing someone's pet.  I'm just NOT.  That would be awful.  And I can't afford it. 

He is very happy being an outside cat so let him.  He has a home, a family, people who care.  I went in the house and my 3 wanted to smell my hand.  Baby Girl got pissed and went in the window, ready to pound him into gravel.  She probably would.  Torbie and Biscuit were more indifferent. 

Everything put away, I took a nap with Torbie.  Torbie did seem a little extra affectionate to me.  She got on me, put her claws on my hand and kneaded.  I thought again about having hers trimmed but she was so happy doing it, and I don't mind having some scratches.  She got her petting and went in her house, then I went to sleep for a while. 

I woke up with a bad headache.  I took some Excedrin and got on the computer for a while.  Ron came out, got drunk.  Complained he has pulled his (pectoral, chest) muscles at work and how much they hurt.  Carried on and on about it.  I asked if he had taken his pain pill.  He said yes. 

I couldn't help but think how many times my muscles screamed at me after a "good" workout and how Ron would never make a weightlifter.  It just goes to show I have to do more and more at work.   He went back in the bedroom. 

Later on he asked me what I wanted to do tomorrow.  I said it would be fun to go to the Taqueria for breakfast, we haven't done that in ages.  He made another "stomach" comment again. 

He doesn't realize God is going to hold him accountable for all of this.  I would not want to be in Ron's shoes on judgement day!  That's why I don't get agitated or hold grudges. 

At worst, I talk about it here. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so insulting for him to keep making the stomach comments and he relies so much on you. I wish he would realize that you have done a lot and he's just taking it for granted.

I'm glad you got to go out by yourself to get some fresh time - I don't know how else to explain it. It's just fresh to be by yourself - no one needing you and you can do whatever you want in the meanwhile. :) I do that often now because I've become a caregiver for my husband. He's unable to do a whole lot physically and it's exhausting. I'm actually saving up for a day of my treat - going out to a hotel overnight and just having a quiet time to myself. That's going to be within a few months. Maybe you can do something similar to that? I know Ron can't do much by himself since he's chosen to be a drunk but you need a break. Just something to think about and to start planning. -Star_tigress

Anonymous said...

You really are a glutton (no pun intended) for punishment. He degrades you regarding your eating and weight and you let him and then want to go to breakfast with him the next morning. Scary that this has become your new normal. I don't even know if you realize you have PTSD from it all.

Anonymous said...

"Ron wanted another bottle of juice so he could use the bottle for a urinal." Seriously? The man is absolutely deranged. The stench in his room must be nauseating. Soon he will forgo the bottle and just urinate in the bed. If he can get his ass up to drink in the kitchen he can get up to use the actual toilet when he needs to take a leak.

Heather Knits said...

I don't knock him on the urinal. It is incredibly difficult for him to get out of bed even to use that. If he were ablebodied, yeah, that would be an issue.

Anonymous said...

But he gets out of bed for the vodka!

Heather Knits said...

Interesting story about that. He used to keep it in his room, next to his bed, but he had so many vicious blackouts. Then even he was alarmed at how fast the level dropped in the bottle, it scared him.

I told him, if you have to drink, keep it in the kitchen (farthest away from his room). That way you have to make a deliberate choice to get in your wheelchair and go get it, then come back. He did that and has done that. I want that to stay. I had a horrible time getting him to do that.

What he will do for the vodka: sit in his chair, in the kitchen, throwing back one shot after another. Somehow get back to bed. He doesn't go for each drink, he makes one trip, gets wasted, and then goes back to bed.