Wednesday, January 23, 2019

He is my caregiver, too

I went to bed very early and slept as long as I could.  Unfortunately for me, Ron found his missing digital recorder and wanted to listen to it.  It makes a lot of beeping noises, very annoying. 

It woke me up and I realized I had a crushing headache, one step away from a migraine.  I debated lying in vs getting up and taking my Excedrin.  BEEP.  I got up, took my pills. 

I went back to bed for a while, didn't sleep, and Biscuit was demanding his breakfast.  I got up and fed them (the other 2 showed up), got a diet Mountain Dew.  Talked to Ron for a little bit. 

But, while I was lying in bed, I had a revelation: I am Ron's caregiver, yes.  But he is also supposed to be my caregiver. 

That means he should be giving me at least as much as I give him.  I, also, have conditions, like the migraines, bipolar, brain damage.  Sometimes, I need help too.

He has a mixed track record with that.  On some occasions he has been great, quiet during a migraine.  I remember one of my recent long, severe, migraines he just went around in a pair of underwear, in his wheelchair, for a week until I felt better.  That meant I didn't have any clothes to wash, except the briefs.  Wonderful.  He also "tries" to be quiet if he knows I am sick (I didn't tell him this morning until I was already up). 

Other times, he fails dismally.  He isn't supportive, tries to "one up" me "I am worse", etc.  At some point I will tell him this "You are my caregiver as much as I am yours" and see where that takes us. 

For now, hopefully, I will get through my shower OK, after I drink another diet Dr Pepper and watch some TV. 

No comments: