Thursday, August 8, 2019

Thursday

I talked to my aunt and got some good news: they are going to provide our transportation to and from the conference this fall.  That will save us a lot of time, trouble, and Ron trying to get on the bus without his wheelchair.  So much easier to just climb in a car.  God bless them.  I hope they let us buy them a steak dinner. 

I took a nap.  Biscuit woke me up flexing his claws into my foot.  That's not something I'd care to repeat. 

I got up and checked on Mama cat.  She was lying on the floor of the garage, next to the nice soft blanket I had laid out for her.  Spotty was lounging on the blanket like King Spotty, the king of the garage.  I put a towel out there on the floor but later I found Mama sleeping on the wheelchair ramp.  She doesn't accept a lot of spoiling these days. 

I decided I wanted to run to the bank and put some cash in my account.  I got dressed.  I got my new pass, hoping it would work. 

Mama cat has had some digestive issues since she moved in, and the pain medicine didn't help.  So I called my vet and asked if probiotics would help, they said yes.  She suggested 2 brands, one of which I later got from Amazon.  It won't hurt the whole gang to get these.  But Mama, in particular, has some adjustment issues with digestion, and got antibiotics, so I want to give her a boost.  Things are looking better in the litter box, I have faith consistent feeding and the probiotics will help.  I don't plan to do them long term. 

I took my stun gun, I promised Ron I would always take my stun gun when I go out, except work (where it's a felony, I believe). 

I went to the bank.  I had an exceptional pickup from home, I literally walked right out to the bus stop and it came in 2 minutes.  Much better than the old "There goes the bus" as I am walking to the stop.  Hate that one. 

I got off and walked over to the bank.  She had some trouble putting in the deposit, I got the number correct.  I hope she got it right.  I did save my receipt (normally I don't care unless it is a large one).  I left and went to the grocery store.  I passed a one-legged man begging and told him no when he asked me for money. 

Why, Heather, you bitch.  Hey, he gets at least one disability check, he has medical, he has housing, he has food stamps.  He is "making" more than I ever will.  AND he's making off the books cash.  Besides, he was only missing a lower leg - that is not an impediment to most work.  Many businesses specifically get bonuses for hiring people with physical problems.  Not only that, I am married to a real train wreck with far more problems, who manages to support not just himself, but me, and a half dozen cats to boot.

So I didn't feel at all bad.  And my Dad, who worked with the drug addicted homeless since the 80's, has always told me "Don't give cash, it goes straight to the habit". 

I went in and got a few things, not many.  I have had problems with this grocery chain.  Their prices are high and they aren't careful about food safety.  So I never buy anything that can spoil, from them. 

I did get another Powerade because my phone said the heat index was 108.  That's pretty savage.  I bought some Diet Dr Peppers. 

The other day I used up a lot of cleaning wipes.  So I was looking for something that cleaned and was safe for pets.  Years ago I got the Walmart generic disinfecting wet floor wipe and Torbie had a terrible reaction to it, breaking out in hot spots.  It was awful to see her so raw.  And I had to give her pills which went really bad.  I have a post surgical cat and a half grown kitten, I need to look out for them, too. 

I ended up buying a bottle of Method pink grapefruit spray.  That seemed safe enough and also possible to lug the bottle home on the bus. 

Then I went after cat food.  I bought some beef cat food that looks like worms in gravy, horrible looking stuff.  I was glad I already ate when I fed them. 

I also got some non perishable treats for me.  I paid and left.  There were a lot (relatively speaking) of people waiting at the bus stop, and my butt literally hit the bench right as the bus pulled up.  Twice in one day is unheard of.  I imagine my next ride will be a while waiting. 

Then I had all the fun of lugging it home.  And it wasn't heavy, as these things go.  The aggressive dog snarled at me and acted as if it wanted to tear my face off - I couldn't see it, we all have high wooden fences in the backyard, I taunted it a little bit and told it to come taste my stun gun.  I was on the other side of the street.  I hate ignorant fools who own savage, untended, monsters. 

My cousin has a very sweet, elderly lab.  That dog is a family member, very sweet, gentle, and well-behaved.  Light years different from that dog. 

I got home and ordered the probiotic.  Not cheap, but money is just a tool.  I use mine lately to better my cats, I am fine with that. 

I checked on Mama cat, loafing on the wheelchair ramp.  I am hard pressed to think of a more uncomfortable surface in my home.  But I found her there several times, the door to the house is open, she can go wherever she wants, but she wants the wheelchair ramp. 

I did get her to eat part of a can of "worms in gravy" (it looked like!  Supposed to be beef!).  Whatever it is Spotty really likes it.  That boy is an eater. 

I checked the mail and found my housecoat had come.  I ordered a 3X.  It was a little tight, I couldn't understand because I am definitely in the size range, until I read "made in China" on the label.  That explained a lot.  One other time I bought a clothing item from China and it was very tight.  Their sizes just run smaller.  It is better than my bathrobe, though.  And it was only $12.  I spent way more than that on the probiotic. 

 I took care of the cats, that took a while.  At the end of it Mama cat is on her blanket in the garage, looking pretty comfortable.  Spotty is playing with his shoelace, most of them got treats, and Biscuit (aka "The Claw") is lying near my chair. 

Now, I have photos of everyone but something first.  Yes, I am a terrible housekeeper.  I haven't vacuumed in ages due in part to my crappy vacuum.  If you have a problem with that you might not want to look at the pictures. 

Torbie on Ron's bed. 


Baby Girl on the "step" we made next to Ron's bed, she has taken it over as a cat bed. 

Biscuit.  I never realized how big he was until I compared him to Spotty. 


Spotty in the garage, on the wheelchair ramp.  He's getting pretty big but is still tiny. 


Mama cat rocking her cone in the garage.  Her favorite room in the house. 


A better image of Cleo, taken today. 


That's it for now.  I hope you enjoyed the pictures. 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not buy a new vacuum? But whatever you do don't get a bagless one they are awful. And it is not just the dirty floor it is all the clutter and garbage piled around that need to be addressed. To bad ron can't see how disgusting his room is, maybe then he would let you clean it.

Anonymous said...

They are all adorable and they are lucky to have you.
Cleo looks so sweet. I am holding out hope that she will become an indoor cat.

Heather Knits said...

I hope she warms up, too, but I put one finger on her back as she ate today, just barely brushed her with my finger, she jumped up, ran, and hid. Goal is living in the house.

I have a bagless vac. Problem mainly being it doesn't suck very well. Once I get everyone fixed and vaxxed, tooth fixed, etc. I will look at other ones.

Anonymous said...

Bagless vacuums need to be cleaned constantly . More than likely the filter inside the canister is plugged or the washable filter needs cleaning. But they are terrible. They spin the dirt like cotton candy and I had to clean the filter after every 2 vacuums or it would have little suction. With the bagged one I maybe have to change the bag every 3 to 4 months. Worth it and no constant cleaning of the darn vacuum.

Anonymous said...

I personally love the bagless ones. Either way, sometimes lots of hair and gunk gets caught up in the hoses and in the main head and brush and I have to go in and clear it all out from time to time, and the suction will go back to almost like it was brand new again. I just hate going through flipping it over and opening it up and all that.

Anonymous said...

All so cute - especially Spot and Biscuit. Still holding out hope for Cleo - you are doing a great job!

Anonymous said...

Would that make 6 cats?

Anonymous said...

You just have to find the right bagless and wash the filters or you won't have suction. I like my hoover and it lets me know when filters need cleaning. Sharks and Bissell are junk.

Heather Knits said...

Yup, 6. 5 in the house right now. They are making it work, if they didn't get-along we'd be in trouble, but they are friendly. I think they sort out boundary issues while I'm at work. Plenty of food, water, and litter. I even have probiotics.

No more, though.

Anonymous said...

Bagless vacuums are awful. Who wants to have to clean them out all the time just to get the suction back? I sure as hell don't. With the bagged when it is full you open the compartment, toss the full bag and put in a new one. Easy and less work.

Anonymous said...

No more, but what if another family of “feral” cats show up on your doorstep?

Heather Knits said...

I will have to call animal control. I think, technically, Mama cat was a "stray" and the two kittens were "ferals"

It really angers me because Mama was clearly an owned pet. The kittens were born in the gutter - Cleo is nearly completely feral. Fortunately Spot took after his mother (trusting) and gave us a shot. He loves the indoor life.

Likely Mama's owner dumped her when she got pregnant. And, like I told Ron, if I can get her fixed, not driving, any one could have. I put up something on Nextdoor and no one claimed her so she's mine now, and the kittens. I just feel bad they had to suffer before/after they got to me.

But I am beyond capacity now.

Anonymous said...

Of course you said you wouldn't add anymore cats to the three you have and look how many you have now. From past blogs we know that just because you say something doesn't mean you will stick to it. Not that I blame you for taking in the cats. But realistically you could take in 50 cats and there would still be many more who need a good home it is a never ending thing thanks to all the selfish morons in the world. Too bad god couldn't just stop all animals from reproducing. At least then they wouldn't suffer.