Wednesday, August 7, 2019

She can't hold her licker

I took my shower, got out, called the vet.  They said I didn't need to bring her (ha!), I could just come by and pick up the cone. 

I called Alex.  He likes cat business because I have set a flat rate for anything cat related, well over the meter, but still reasonable.  Considering that many cab drivers hate cats and will not allow them in the vehicle. 

He came pretty quick. 

Ron wanted a meal about that time (of course!) so I fixed him a burrito.  He was going to eat it as he sat on the toilet but I said no, that wouldn't make a good meal.  He got back to it pretty quick. 

I went to the vet, had to wait a little bit but they had the cone already to go.  When Torbie needed a cone they used gauze to tie it.  This had a weird plastic thing I didn't like. 

But, being who I am I have a decent first aid kit, when I got home I used gauze because it worked for Torbie. 

I wanted a treat so I walked over to the convenience store and got a snack for me and Alex.  He has never had Zingers.  I told him I apologized in advance for the diabetes. 

I came home, Mama cat was lounging in the garage.  I tried to get her but she squirmed away, she fought like a demon (didn't hurt me, just struggling).  Did NOT want that thing on her head.  Got away.  I went back in the house and did the gauze. 

"You can do it yourself" my ASS. 

She came in, I grabbed her carefully (just spayed!) and got it on her head.  She flattened her ears and one of them got trapped, I had to pull it free as I slid the cone in place.  Then I tied it.  When they did Torbie they had a nice bow.  I just did a double knot for Mama. 

Poor Mama is feeling very abused right now and probably hates me. 

I put her in the box and took her to get an exam and blood test. 
A week later, I fasted her, put her in the box, and got her spayed. 
I gave her medicine this morning. 
I put the cone on her head. 

She is profoundly unhappy but still very sweet, she just ran around the house for a while and out in the garage.  She didn't make pissed off vocalizations, just tried to get away (much like Biscuit). 

But sometimes I have to be the bad guy.  I love them so much I am willing to do this.  If that means she likes Ron (treat man) better so be it.  I just want her healthy and safe.  The good news this is probably the only surgery she should ever need. 

Ron did suggest keeping the cone, which is a good idea, although next time ANYONE gets done at the vet they are getting a cone.  What horror I felt as I saw her licking at her stitches. 

I gave Ron a very strong reminder she could bleed to death if we take her cone off and she licks.  He's got that.  He loves her and wants her to be well.  He will complain bitterly about it and say I am "mean" but she will be fine.  It is only about a week. 

So she's safe.  I don't need to worry she pulled anything licking earlier because she did fight like a demon, she is definitely intact.  Now it is just rest and spoiling her. 

Later on we are going to work on the report. 

No comments: