Monday, August 26, 2019

I have a place to take her

Woke up with a MIGRAINE.  That sucked pretty bad. 

I took some Excedrin, drank a Mountain Dew, and went back to bed.  I was doing better by the time my alarm went off. 

We went to work, I brought my bucket because the migraine was better but not gone.  I have had them return with a vengeance and cause vomiting.  I have probably not mentioned the fact that our work area is some distance from the bathrooms. 

We stocked what we could, made our Dr Pepper order (that's an early pickup Wednesday) and came home.  I went to bed for a while with Biscuit. 

I woke up around 2.  I had called our local vet and asked if I could just bring Cleo, in the trap, to the office and they spay her.  That seemed to be the best option to me and the easiest on Cleo.  But she is fearful.  They might not want to bother.  "We will have to talk to the Doc". 

But, wouldn't that be great?  Get her trapped, call the vet, a quick cab ride (remember I can likely get a short ride but not a long one), drop her off, spay, pick her up and bring her home? 

They called about an hour after I got up - yes, they would be happy to do it.  I verified it would be OK to just bring a cat in the trap and she said absolutely.  Excellent. 

Here are a couple of Houston TNR resources I was figuring out before the phone call:
https://www.texaslittercontrol.org/tnr-for-community-feral-cats-pricing.html
https://bestfriends.org/our-work/best-friends-advocacy/protecting-community-cats
County program is "closed until further notice".  That is awful as Houston really needs all the neuters it can get. 

All of these guys would do good work, and be cheaper, but FAR in the cab.  I am always looking for rides, and my vet gets that. 

Ron was so happy he gave me $300 to pay for the surgery and cab fare.  Mama cat was a little more than that (you get what you pay for) but she was pregnant and hopefully Cleo is not.  They will like her, she is very sweet but extremely shy.   Not to mention absolutely glorious looking with the tabby calico markings on crisp white fur and copper colored eyes.  Mama cat is more subdued in her coloring, and has green eyes. 

Ron spent hours in the kitchen drinking vodka and listening to talk radio, but was able to get himself back to bed OK.   I will ask if he wants to eat in a little bit. 

I have had pretty much zero appetite with this headache, so I am not eating.  They have workers next door; they always scare Cleo.  My plan is to go out after 6, when they're gone and the kids are in the house, give her a little taste of sardine, and then bait the trap with them tomorrow "Oh, I know those, that's delicious!"  I have watched a few videos about trapping, but, to be honest, I had no trouble trapping cats in the house last year when I was trying to get the possum.  Just setting up the trap did it.  Peanut butter?  Oh, boy, I want me some, and WHAP the door would come down and I would find a very embarrassed Biscuit in the morning.  The possum must have laughed her butt off. 

I have to think I will do OK trying to catch her on purpose, and if I do it after 7 when the kids go to school it will be calm, quiet, nonthreatening.  Good odds to catch her then and then only a short wait for the vet to open.  She is always on the porch in the morning. 

We will see how it goes, tomorrow.  Cleo deserves the inside life, and I think she will make a lot of progress once she is away from those kids and all the uproar of the outdoors.  Spot could use his playmate again, he bothers his mother a lot if I don't play with him (I do). 

Tonight we do a taste of sardines but just a taste.  Then a nice portion in the trap.  I got some cardboard to put in the bottom of the trap, and I have a tarp.  That should cover it all.  Now God just needs to give her the will to go in the trap. 

I will be glad when I feel better; but glad I have a plan for tomorrow.  If this works out I will have pictures. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Release her straight into the house when you return preferably in one of the rooms

Heather Knits said...

That's the plan, comes home into the house. She is too sweet to go back out.

I mentioned already she is starting to rub her tail on my foot. It happened a couple of times so not an accident. I think her mom and brother can help a lot with warming her up.

Anonymous said...

Very expensive. Why won't the vet give more of a discount?

Heather Knits said...

Pretty sure I already said this, you get what you pay for. Mama cat is doing well. Biscuit was neutered by her years ago, and she pulled him out of the bladder stone. I am just happy they are willing to handle her because no one wants to handle an animal that may bite.