Thursday, August 15, 2019

I had an interesting talk

So I got up this morning, took my shower, fed the cats, cleaned their box (try to do it in that order).  They were all fine.  I got out the carrier. 

About 10:15 I called Arturo just in case he couldn't do it, I would have time to get another ride.  But he could.  I put Mama in her box, she was very good.  I saw Arturo pull up (you never have to call me to come out) and took her out, off to the vet. 

Mama was a gem.  She was sweet and friendly to everyone, she flinched during her shots and microchip but other than that was purrfect.  Everyone loves her.  She is just a really nice cat. 

I got her stitches out, exam (healing nicely but not finished), shots (but will need a booster next month), and microchip (done forever now).  Either it's your cat or it's not, and if she's mine I'm damned well putting a chip in her.  Vet said she was dirty, I explained the sleeping in the garage on the floor.  Vet said you can never tell with pets and suggested I give Mama a bath with baby shampoo in about a week.  That will be interesting. 

Mama was thrilled to be free of her cone and immediately began purring.  Vet said she looked good. 

We went out, I paid, called Arturo again.  He said 15 minutes.  I left Mama at the desk and ran next door for a snack.  I came back, eating and drinking, talked to the receptionist about the cats.  I explained I had Spotty in the house but not Cleo, and Cleo's mannerisms. 

Sara said "If she is coming to you, meowing, and her tail in the air you are 75% there.  When you get her fixed with the feral organization, don't let her out in the yard when she comes home.  Let her out in your home.  She is almost there and just needs a little push." 

Sounds like good advice.  I can certainly listen.  It can't hurt to try.  She really is a nice little girl and I would like to see her at home with us.  Ron will adore her, he loves cats. 

I am glad I did pick a man who loves cats.  He has his issues but he does love cats.  That does not excuse bad behavior.   It does not explain or justify. 

But it makes him easier to love.  My Dad, for instance, hates cats.  Can't abide them.  Sometimes won't even come in my home.  Won't "let" my stepmother have a cat.  When he did, it had to be declawed - which I witnessed and would NEVER again - that poor animal suffered so.  If I had a choice if I could have a cat, and it would be declawed, or not have a cat at all I would choose the latter.  It is, simply, cruel.  But my Dad didn't see it that way, it was just a negotiation to him.  My stepmother has told me, more than once, the second my Dad dies she is going out and getting an older cat (probably a calico because she loves them).  I agree, that's what I'd do if I were her. 

So I will do that, work on trapping her in a few weeks - I think I will start by feeding in the backyard (which is better to keep her away from those brats), not feed her one day, put the trap out with food in it.  Trap her, get her fixed, bring her IN the home, let her go.  I don't think she would be aggressive.  She would just hide for a while, watch her brother, mom, and other cats begging for food and treats - getting them; watching me clean the boxes and fill the water, etc.  Petting can be fun.  Hopefully then decide that we are alright and give us a little trust. 

I am glad I have a plan. 

Ron woke up and I told him all this, he is on board.  We are going to run some errands in a little bit and then we are done for the day.  We work tomorrow but not too long, I think.  It's just been dead lately. 

I am glad I am done with Mama cat for a while, although she was always very good about going in her box, travelling, etc.  She was scared the first time in the car because the last time she got dumped, but has realized now that every trip is OK.  Does not like the vet office much, will cry when she goes in, but settles quickly.  She really is a good cat. 

And all done!  Fixed, microchip, shots - way more expensive than if I had just gotten her at the shelter.  That would have been $20 (cry with me).  I have spent far more than $20.  But she is worth it and deserves it for being such a good cat and a fantastic mother. 

No comments: