Tuesday, August 6, 2019

Most of Tuesday

A busy day, I helped Ron get ready and we left in a cab. 

The driver was weird and did not want Ron to talk.  At all.  Not one word.  He got upset when I took a call from the vet. 

Mama cat is fine, but she had an aggressive reaction to the drugs and we should avoid her for a while after we get her home.  But she did well in the surgery and I can get her after 4. 

We picked up another client in a very affluent neighborhood very close to where Ron grew up.  He grew up in a notorious neighborhood slum, really an awful place.  But there is a very nice subdivision pretty much next door and that's where we went. 

That was close to downtown so we got dropped off.  There was a very short line. BUT they had tremendous difficulty in getting the yearly pass to print.  They had to call a manager and tech support to get it going.  Ron was getting pretty agitated.  But it worked.  Finally. 

I set him up near a security guard (more on that in a minute) and went back in line to get my pass done.  I have a standard disabled pass, which required a separate clerk than the one Ron needed.  She told me it was expired (but it still worked) and she would have to give me a new one and transfer my balance.  I said I wanted to add $20 to my balance.  She said I already had $24.  Apparently no one carries a big balance.  I said I still wanted to do it. 

She set that up, it took a couple of minutes, but a new pass printed with my face on it and the word DISABLED.  And a $44 balance, so I am good for probably another year at the rate I ride. 

I went back to Ron, he wanted to eat, so we went to the deli.  He was still pretty stressed from the experience and bit my head off in front of the deli ladies.  One of them quietly said "God bless you" when she handed me the food.  That was very sweet. 

He was better after he ate.  We went back to the lobby, which was full of homeless people looking for a place to sit, using the public bathrooms, and loitering.  They had 2 police officers on staff just to run off the homeless, and it was a full time job for both of them.  I was glad I didn't have anything valuable on the back of the wheelchair.  We had to wait about an hour. 

Since I was there, I got a new system map that shows every bus in the program.  You have to ask for them special, at a window. 

Did that. 

Our driver came.  She hates cats and thinks she will get an easy job at the post office.  Problem: she weighed well over 400 pounds, she could barely strap the wheelchair.  There is no way she can do the physical labor required in the job she said she wanted.  We tried to tell her, it is not the job you think it is.  She didn't want to hear it. 

I hope she enjoys working nights and weekends doing manual labor with unstable hours, because that is the job they are hiring for these days.  She is going to miss the good old days driving for paratransit. 

BUT it was a straight trip so we got home in about 20 minutes.  It was incredibly fast. 

We came in the house, I put our stuff away and laid down for a nap.  I had gotten up at 4 and battled a horrific headache (not quite a migraine, but nasty) all day.  Torbie and Biscuit joined me.  They seem to have claimed me as their person.  Spotty was running around being adorable, I fed him again and had to put the food up right away because Biscuit loves kitten food. 

I do not need another $600 blockage from Biscuit.  I am spending enough! 

I woke up before the alarm, I still had the headache but it has crawled off for a bit.  I found more money in my pocket Ron gave me, so that is good.  I still have to pay the vet. 

I called Alex the cab driver but he had a trip, and then he is coming to me.  So hopefully that won't take too long.  Happily they are open until 6 today so we will definitely get Mama cat by then. 

I set up a nice bed for her in the garage, she found a hiding place she likes (before the surgery).  I am sure she will want to go there so I laid a blanket on the floor, food and water.  She may be aggressive when I let her out so I won't touch her.  I remember the drill from my childhood cat, who had the same issue with anesthesia.  He'd get mean whenever he had to be knocked out.  Sweetest cat in the world except for that. 

Not a problem, she's still a good cat. 

Ron had a terrible problem with her begging for treats last night, he really wanted to treat her but she had to fast.  I woke up in the middle of the night right when he was about to do it and he didn't.  I reminded him she could choke during surgery if he had done it, and he said he knew, she was just so pitiful...

We will have to see if she is in the mood for treats when she gets home.  Now I wait on Alex. 

I am glad I told them to wait on putting her in the carrier. 

No comments: