Sunday, August 11, 2019

Most of Sunday

I slept OK, woke up once.  Ron was so excited to hear me awake.

It's cute, in the morning.  We talked a little, I got him some kratom, and he asked me to cook him a burrito.  I told him he knew how to do it and went back to bed.

I woke up, Spotty started yelling the minute he saw me up, Mama cat too.  I gave them a can of Turkey Dinner Pate with probiotics on top.  Spoiled?  No.  They had a good time working on that and ate every speck.

Spotty was still hungry afterward so I gave him some dry food.  The old guard did not want any food.  They are probably waiting for Ron to wake up and give them treats.

Well, he got up, drank, gave them some treats.  I got ready to go to Walmart, pay my electric bill (with Ron's money), etc.  He blew up at my right before we left.

I found a package on the porch and brought it in, left it in my chair.  These days I like to think about it, what it might contain, for a while.  I went out to the bus stop.

Normally I don't talk about nice things I do (and I do try).  I would rather someone else brag on me.  But I did something awesome, I froze 2 powerades, solid.  I put those in my bag.  I half froze another, put that in as well.  Last one I just refrigerated.  I kept one of the frozen, and the refrigerated, for me, I gave the other 2 away.  It didn't matter if I waited at a hot bus stop (and it wasn't really bad today, heat warnings nonwithstanding).  I gave one to one bus driver, it was a big hit.  I drank my refrigerated one.  It was nice and chilly.

We got to the transit center and I had a rather long wait on the next bus.  But it came.  And "She doesn't drink that sort of drink" said very disdainfully.  Well, the cab driver to come home sure liked it!  Another long ride to my destination.

I went and paid the bill first.  No one was paying bills.  I had my backpack so I put my receipt in it.

Then onto shopping.  For work: ammonia free window cleaner, and #64 rubber bands (best for counting money).

For Ron: 2 RCA to Stereo Mini adapters, had enough "change" left (and not taking calls anyway) to buy a couple packages of meat sticks.

For the cats: 5 cans of Friskies turkey pate, 5 cans of Friskies turkey slices.  Mama and Spot love both and literally licked the plate clean on each one, when served.  And "cat plates" foam, 6 inch diameter plates.

For me: drink mix, some Diet Mountain Dew, a can of chips.  A notebook with a plastic cover (for food logging) and 3 bottles of Diet Dr Pepper.

I got in line and started loading my stuff on the conveyor.  There's 2 different customers in front of me and several behind me.  A gay black man comes running up to the head of the line, screaming at the cashier "This is a 15 items or less lane!"

I look up, no sign.  I ask the cashier, "Is it?"

"No" she replies
"So I am fine paying for all this here?"
"Yes".

The guy stomps to the back of the line, cursing.  It is 12:30 PM on Sunday, on Tax Free Weekend.  There are better times to shop if you don't want a line.

She rang up my stuff and put it in my reusable tote bags (I brought them in the backpack).  The woman behind me saw the frozen Powerade, in the carry bag, still in my cart, and started yelling I had to pay for it.  I told her I already did, and showed it to her.  "Do they sell frozen drinks here?"

"No"
"I brought it in here".  She finally left me alone.  Very rude.

I am sure security would rather let me shoplift so they could prosecute me.  I went to the foyer area and called Arturo.  Who was busy.  I called Alex, confident I would get a ride.  And he was in Galveston.  Well, crap.

I had to call Yellow Cab.  It was very noisy and you have to talk to the computer, they don't have the real person anymore.  I had to listen to it, it wanted to pick me up at work or home.  I had to tell it no.  Then I had to shout the address.  I had to listen to make sure the computer got it.  Then I had to punch a button for yes.

I had to punch another button for a regular cab and some more run-around.  I finally went outside.  It was hot but I've dealt with worse.  Like I told Ron yesterday at work, probably the worst weather ever was the rain that came in front of a cold front.  I got soaked and then freezing temperatures and high winds came in behind the rain.  THAT was the worst.  This was just heat, humidity, sun.  I got out my hat and put my hair up in a pony tail.

They said a cab would be along right away.  I was skeptical.  I drank my soda and kicked myself for coming to Walmart on a Sunday.  I KNOW better.  I shouldn't have bought anything, but I had 2 six packs of Diet Dew and a big honkin' bottle of window cleaner.  Agh!  Kicking myself.

And my phone rang.  Normally everyone goes to voicemail unless in my phone book but I was waiting on a cab.  I answered it, he asked where I was waiting.  I told him.  I told him only 3 bags.  He showed up about 3 minutes later.

That is the nice thing, I look like a Heather.  I loaded my stuff in the back and gave him the drink.  He was happy to get it, especially when I told him I had a real tip for him too.  We went home, he was very upset talking about processed foods.

We got to the house and the landlady from #2 was in front of my house.  She just loves to do it.  I have to find it funny.  Big huge driveway but she wants in front of my house.

I got everything out as she came over.  She said the tenants soiled the toilets before their water was cut off.  Well, soiled toilets, I got that much.  She asked if she could use some water from my house.

10 gallons of water for good will?  I did kind of go buggo over the fence.  So, yes, with a smile.  I went in the house through the front door because Mama cat adores her garage.  I try to indulge her, especially now.

She is very happy out there, she greets me happily, purrs, reclines, takes petting, just doesn't want a bed, just nice hot concrete.  I am glad I swept it out so well when I cleaned it.

I put everything away.  Ron was awake, I gave him his meat sticks + patch cords.  He has been pretty flat in bed all day today.  It's his day off, I ran errands and went shopping, he wants to lie around.

I did do laundry last night so I don't have to worry about that.  I just need to actually run the dryer.  Seems stupid to run A/C and dryer at the same time, especially with the door open to the garage.

Glad I did pay the electric.

I am working up to sweeping and mopping the tile floors.  Some areas need work.  I just need to check

I got a second package.  I waited to open them until I put everything away.  Not sure if she is OK with me saying what I got but they were very thoughtful and useful gifts.  I like practical gifts.

She had wanted to send something for the cats, and I have no pride when it comes to my loved ones.  I am one of those people, give me something for Ron, the cats, Bible Handout recipients, I will take it.  Offer me something and I will waver. 

There was a big cardboard box.  It was heavy, and I thought I heard a clank when I picked it up to bring it in the house.  What was it?  A cat condo?  Don't really have room, but I would make it work.  I already have two metal litter scoops - if you have a cat you have got to get one.  They are the best.  Toys, maybe? 

I couldn't tell from handling the box.  I sat it on my chair while I did my work putting things away.  I finally opened the big box first.  And found a huge bag of cat food for Mama cat.  She is set for WEEKS now.  I was thrilled, and yelled "Awesome!"  the cats looked at me. 

I put it with my other dry cat food. 

I had a large padded envelope, now, the blue and white bubble wrap ones.  I handled it but couldn't tell.  It didn't have sharp edges, that's all I could say.  I figured cat toys. 

I opened it up, it was an assortment (I think every flavor) of Temptations cat treats.  A rainbow of packaging, each package resting inside a larger plastic bag.  I showed it to Ron. 

He is still having some cognitive issues.  He was very confused by the double bag concept and kept saying the (outer) bag had a small hole.  I told him it didn't matter, it wasn't packaging, but he kept repeating there was a hole. 

And I thought we were doing better.  I don't care, I know they're fine, but I think I will give the treat bags to him individually.  And the cats will love this! 

At the end of the day I will be feeding kitten food to 2 cats, regular adult formula to Mama, Urinary Diet to Biscuit, 7+ formula to Baby Girl, and 11+ formula to Torbie.  That's a lot to keep track of.  But I have a system that works pretty well. 

I am coddling Mama cat and Spot with wet food as she heals and they both adjust to life with us, but that will transition to dry because poor Biscuit loves wet food.  But he can't eat the standard varieties and he detests the special formula wet food.  Even Spot won't eat that. 

I think it is "mean" to hand out wet food to one cat but not another, especially when the second cat really wants it.  That's one reason I got turkey flavors today, Biscuit hates turkey, he was a fish man, and is less interested.  But he still cries when I open the can.  :(  He doesn't understand. 

My big worry today is Biscuit, he is being so bad eating everything but his diet.  I am worried he will get another stone.  Which is one reason I got wet, turkey, cat food.  He hates turkey but the new guys love it.  I think they would eat about anything I gave them, especially Spotty.  But I can't leave their food out or Big Mouth gets in there.  And he's so big Spotty backs off - but everything I have seen Biscuit has been nothing but gentle with him.

Spotty kept yelling for food just now so I fed him and Mama a can of turkey in gravy.  They seem to like all Friskies' takes on turkey.  And my guys do not.  So that's fair.  Spot and Mama are eating away so a good call.  I hope so, I got 10 more cans of Friskies turkey today at the store.

I am always happy to spoil them.

I am going to go mop the floor, it is pretty bad and I will feel better when I do it.  Ron is being a bed bug today so I don't think he is going to track it up, he just used the bathroom.  But I will ask him to stay in his room and he is always good about doing that.

Off I go. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you tell ron to stop with the treats and go back to feeding the cats, watching them and putting the food up when they are done. Too many treats is bad for the cats anyway. They really should be rationed to maybe 6-10 per day for each cat. But again ron does what he wants and it is either the cats or you that pay the price. That is not love. That is selfish and inconsiderate. And what about Cleo? No mention of her for 2 days.

Also why is friskies a better cat food than the blue buffalo?

Heather Knits said...

Let me address these one at a time.
Did not see Cleo yesterday, I put some food out when I went to bed. I didn't see her most of today but went out around 6 and she was under her chair, peeped at me, I fed her. She was very skittish because #6 (the animal abusers) were going in and out of their car, kids were talking - she flinched every time she heard their voices, which made me BOIL - finally ran and hid, had enough even with me right there. Ron asked me to give her some treats, I went out and did that, she came right over for treats and was eating them when I went back in the house. She looks very healthy and seems to have leveled off socially with me, she will come up to me, vocalize at me, tail up in a greeting posture, sit and eat next to me, but will run if anyone else is around, or I move.

Ron's big interactions with the cats are around the treats. Vet is not worried, neither am I. Ron knows not to give Biscuit standard treats, only his special ones.

Vet says wet is best. Also says Blue is not good for cats. Friskies has several delicious turkey offerings, including one in extra gravy. Mama cat and Spotty adore Friskies so that's what I'll feed them for now. When she is better I will be doing dry for both of them, with occasional wet. Biscuit loved wet food but it gave him stones so it isn't really fair to feed it right in front of him and he can't eat it.

Anonymous said...

Blue Buffalo is higher quality than Friskies. Did your vet explain WHY she feels that way about it? Also there are other brands than blue buffalo that are same high quality and same price point if you are dead set against the blue you could try those.

Your original 3 cats look severely obese in the pics from the other day.

Heather Knits said...

Vet: "Too much protein in Blue" "Dry food has fillers so wet is better".

Ron: "Treats? Want TREATS?" = obese cats.

Biscuit did so well on Royal Canin I switched my other guys to it, too. They have all been happy and healthy on RC dry, various formulas for their conditions. The only problem I had with RC is every cat wanted to eat the Baby Cat formula I was feeding Mama and Spotty. End goal will be all cats on RC dry food with occasional wet food as a treat.

Like I said, I don't think it's fair to do wet food long term because of Biscuit. He is stuck eating dry and is generally a good sport, but it isn't fair for him to watch the other cats get the canned, even if he doesn't like turkey.

Ron and I agree we will not play favorites. At treat time, for instance, Biscuit gets his prescription treats so he gets to join in.

I think dry all around will be more fair in the long term, but I have no problem with Friskies wet.

Anonymous said...

You feed the cats, give drinks to strangers, did Ron ever get his burrito?
You complain he never eats.

Anonymous said...

Heather obviously doesn't care about the health of her cats as long as ron gets to feel good and pretend that the cats are bonding with him. Shame the man is so selfish and pathetic that love to him means hurting someone else. This can be applied to not only the cats but also to heather. As long as he feels good he doesn't care if there are negative consequences for the cats with their weight or heather with her suffering through emotional abuse.

Wet food is better than dry but I still think you are not as focused on making sure biscuit doesn't have access to the other cats food. Seems like you are getting lax about it.

Based on your comments I also believe it is your intention to make sure cleo remains an outside cat.

And why doesn't the momma cat have a name yet?

Heather Knits said...

Yeah, I feed him whenever I get a chance. I need to get him more groceries. He said he didn't need anything but was wrong.

Heather Knits said...

I don't care about the cats. I have to find that comical. I think my actions, and wallet, speak pretty well on their own.

Treats are OK, in moderation. The cats will not just endlessly eat treats, they will eat a few and walk away. I just have to pick up the survivors and put them in the jar so Biscuit doesn't get them.

I leave Ron's issues to God.

I am working on keeping Biscuit out of his siblings' food. That's why he's staying at the vet when we go out of town.

Still working on Cleo. We seem to have hit a plateau, though. This may be as good as it gets, but I will keep working on her. She has to hang out with me while she eats but I don't touch her - she hates that.

Mama cat is her name. :) Although they spell it "Momma" at the vet. I think it's a great name. Ron calls her Mommy. Whatever works, she is just happy she is fixed and an inside cat now. Getting shots and microchip next week.

But I don't take care of my cats. :p

Heidi said...

Wow cats have a home are not eating garbage or worse and are one by one getting neutered and YET You still ANONYMOUS find ways to just pick away at Heather ..what is so wrong in your life that she can not possible meet your standards stop being such a bully.

Heather good for you you are emptying the litter twice daily and feeding them well they would not be alive ..none of them if it was not for you .
The only moments Ron is calm and kind he is feeding treats or interacting with the cats I think perspective is everything and hopefully folks realize that in some folks lives even a few minutes of peace and laughter are worth it.
If the vet is fine with this show some respect.

Much love Heather I wish you and the kitties well . PS Ron not getting a microwaved burrito in the middle of the night is not mean it is not buying into a passive aggressive drunk waking you up pretending to be sweet and then making demands . .

Heather Knits said...

Didn't post abusive comment. Read it, but did not post. Crap on me if you must but not the other readers. :)