Saturday, May 27, 2023

Handout update

 Two verses to start: 

Jesus said this one, in Luke: 10 So you also, when you have done everything you were told to do, should say, ‘We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.’”

Romans (Paul said this): 14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? 15 And how shall they preach unless they are sent? As it is written:

“How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the gospel of peace,
Who bring glad tidings of good things!”


Formatting is messed up but you get the idea.  

Really that is my only qualification: I go. I am a flawed, imperfect sinner washed in the blood of Jesus. That is it.  


I like to poll certain people like bus drivers before I do a Handout,of 2 locations, which would you pick, stuff like that.  And a couple said Greenspoint, Imperial Valley at Greens road was "really bad and needed Jesus".  Others told me not to go to that location at all as it was "very bad".  


I have always had the view go to the sick not the well.  I was married to a difficult alcoholic so it takes a lot to scare me.  And God does use things like that to mold us if we let Him. Trust me, He does.  


Spanish has been incredibly popular on the last couple Handouts so I brought 50 or so Spanish New Testaments, and about 50 assorted whole Bibles and New Testaments in English.  Today's Bible featured a bright orange cover that matched my sign. 


I was going to be working around a construction zone so I brought my 4 wheeled cart as it navigates better. It was a good call but when I went to put the case of whole Bibles in the cart they got stuck sideways, and when I attempted to fix it they pinched a fold of skin on my left leg above the knee.  I have a spectacular bruise there now but it doesn't hurt.  I did manage to finesse the Bibles further down in the cart and got the Spanish on top and my bag.  


I had to take 3 buses to get there which was a pain but the drivers were great about using the "kneeler" feature on the bus (brings bus closer to ground) and also lining up very close to the curb. I had the small Free Bibles sign on the cart and, while waiting at my third stop someone asked me about it.  So I told her. 


A man dressed in gang colors over heard me and asked where I was going, I told him.  "Do you know what goes on there?" he asked.  I told him yes, I had a very good idea, and that's why I figured they could use Him.  He shook his head at me and walked off after begging me not to go. 


I got there. The last time I went I was with Ron and it was several years ago. The neighborhood was a lot worse than last time, I agree.  But it was almost as bad as Acres Homes was several-ten years ago so I wasn't uncomfortable. 


I waved at everyone including passers-by. Some came over and got a Bible.  One lady came over and asked me a lot of questions about what I was doing, thanked me for coming, shook my head, and nodded when I said I planned to come back. "We need that" she said. Later on I had to go to the bathroom so I packed everything up and went to the gas station.  She saw me coming and told everyone there I was off limits, I was doing God's work, etc. She made it clear I would NEVER have a problem working over there. She then bought me $10 of drinks I had picked out and paid for.  


I went back to my corner which was happily still vacant and kept working, energized.  I handed out about 40 English during the Handout and another 10 or so after. I also handed out about a dozen Spanish. 


I saw a sign for a Spanish bakery and went over there, wearing my Free Bibles hat and the cart with the sign.  Some men who owned a restaurant stopped me and offered me a cold soda but I still had to go to the grocery store and didn't want to drink too much.  


I think it went very well, it is pretty hard ground to till but that's the point. I covet prayer for all the recipients, for them to have an appetite for God's word and see His truth, also for their, and mine, protection.  


The only thing I will do differently I will bring a sign in Spanish as well, I think I could have done more that way.  


That's it for now!  

No comments: