Saturday, May 6, 2023

Did the Handout

 I slept better, but I woke up twice. Once just to wake up and once because it was raining.  

I am debating going and doing a Bible Handout it is trickier if the ground is wet. It is still pretty early just 7 AM.  I needed the sleep, though.  Allergies aren't too bad. 

I did my God Time now I just need to get my KJV Bibles out of the garage and bring them in the house, see if I can get them to fit in my cart. Pretty depressed but got the cart ready, it has about 50 pounds of Bibles. 

It fit.  

My primary goal today was to give out one case each of Spanish Bibles (Reina-Valera) and one case of KJV.  I also brought some Bible Promise books for the "I already have a Bible" crowd and some kiddie NT.  I was pretty depressed but my schedule is changing next week so I had to do it today.  

It was not fun wrestling all the Bibles onto that cart and then getting it to the bus stop.  Mom asked "How do you get the Bibles on the bus?" The bus has a "kneeler" that lowers the bus to curb level when someone with a disability, or a cart, boards. Everyone today used that feature. 

I had told a friend at work I might go to De Soto again but I went to Veterans and Antoine.  

I was wearing denim shorts that came about 3/4 of the way to my knee, gray sneakers, a teal performance top I bought years ago (oversized, now), my purple safety vest, and my "Ask Me for Free Bibles" cap. 

I got out to the median and the traffic was pretty busy. You could have had 3 people working just my side. I had my battered old "Free Bibles" sign and a smaller sign I had mounted on the hand cart facing the other way, doing Ron's old job. 

It was very hot and humid so I did not caper and run as much as I normally do. Even so I got pretty hot working.  I walk up and down, run if someone signals me, etc.carrying the Bibles.  At one point I asked God for a cold drink and he sent a nice construction crew with an ice chest full of them, they gave me a couple bottles of water which I accepted gratefully. Next time I will bring more water! I thought 2 quarts was enough! 

I had hoped the Spanish would be popular, they were, very much so.  I need to bring a case of Spanish on every Handout.  

I had a few kid New Testaments those were popular as well.  In fact, a woman saw my sign as I waited at a bus stop and asked for a Spanish adult Bible and then I gave her 2 kid ones that were very well received by the children in the back seat. 

And I had the Bible Promise books for people who already had a Bible everyone liked those. It's just Bible verses on a topic nothing funny here. 

I had a couple people I could tell wanted a Bible but wouldn't ask, when I went over to them and offered one they took it gratefully. 

My favorite encounter happened after I finished.  I left the cart setup with the small Free Bibles sign facing out in front,and I had my hat. Two women blocked my path.  "We want some". 

"What?"

"The Bibles, we want some"

"How many?"  They had a little discussion on that and I also gave them the last of the kid New Testaments.  They went away happy and so did I.  

It's much easier getting the cart home when it's empty!  

No comments: