Monday, May 23, 2022

I had a decent nap

 It is still nice out in the yard so I went looking for fire ants.  They are getting in the house after me when I sit here in my computer chair.  I didn't find the fire ants but I did find a couple of litter box spots the cats are using in my yard.  Very happy it is MY yard.  I remember how annoyed I was when the Barkappotamous would crap in my yard when she got out and I'm not a hypocrite.  

Then the mosquitos started biting so I went back in.  

I took the chicken thighs and some Chappel Hill link sausage out of the freezer and put in the fridge, I will cook tomorrow.  I also need to do dishes.  How does one person make so many dishes?!  I use disposable plates if at all possible.  

I am going to go check the mail.  Nothing.  That's OK I already got the fun stuff.  

I did see 2 things, one funny and one sad.  I saw a mockingbird chasing a squirrel across the street and up a tree, that squirrel was scared to death!  Very amusing.  

Then I saw the kid in the wheelchair being taken out for his exercise.  He is autistic and has CP and is a wheelchair user.  Some time ago these people in scrubs started showing up and taking him for "walks".  They strap him into a tricycle and pull it behind them as they walk through the neighborhood.  The boy always covers his face and vocalizes that he does not like it.  I get why they do it, it prevents blood clots and probably helps prevent pressure sores, but the kid clearly hates it.  Also the latest provider carries a large bat.  I guess he is worried about bad actors, canine or human.  

I came home and decided to fertilize my garden.  I pinched back the mint a little (trimmings are floating in my glass of water) and used my Plant-Tone organic fertilizer on the jasmine, catnip, Lemon Verbena, and mint.  I watered it in with the mint as it is under the eaves somewhat and does not get as much water, or sun.  But it still tries which is why it's still there and gets the fertilizer.  I like the Plant-Tone as I don't have to worry about getting it on my hands.  I washed it off because it reeks but it is not harmful to me or the cats.  Something chewed a hole in the bag but apparently didn't like the taste as I still had a whole bagful.  The fertilizer will last me a while which is great.  It is supposed to rain tomorrow which will get the nutrients into the soil.  

I had a book for years, I think I lost it.  It was about organic soil management.  It was a very dense little tome on soil science and the gist of it was feed the soil microorganisms and they will feed the plant.  I used to read it at bedtime it would put me out every time.  It got a lot into the, let's see if I can spell it, mycorrizae.  Got it wrong it is spelled: mycorrhizae.  So feed the soil, soil is not a dead thing it is alive and full of living creatures that need to be nourished for healthy plants.  Organic matter is very important.  Mulch was another one they covered, how good it was for plants.  And that's it for your botany 😂 lesson.  

Ideally, I am considering a garden patch inside the gate, it is partly shaded and would make a good spot for some greens and maybe a few more herbs.  I just need to mulch it really good and indicate it is a viable garden and not something to be weed-whacked.  I will eat greens if they are in my yard, I can pick them as needed and add them to rice, etc.  But I can't always eat a whole package of greens from the store and frozen texture is just ACK.  

Biscuit is up on the couch next to me.  It used to be Torbie's spot and then Baby Girls for a few weeks, now BG is gone so it is Biscuit's.  The kittens prefer to hang out on the catio or on the cat trees.  

That's it for now.  

No comments: