Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Attack of the handyman

 Alfonso strikes again!  

A little back story, I haven't talked about him in a while.  My home was a model home in the subdivision for some years, then sold to the "Millers" who owned it for 10 years.  They are notable for painting the bathroom a lurid orange (too much even for me!) and also planting a big hedge between this yard and #2.  

All was well until Tropical storm Allison, which dumped 3 feet of rain in one night.  The house was OK though as it is elevated somewhat off the street.  But then Mr. Policeman came by in his air boat and the wake flooded all the houses.  So before the police, intact home.  After the police, thousands of dollars in damage.  The Millers did not have flood insurance so sold the house, at a loss, to a flipper.  He worked on it some (terrible drywall repairs), and flipped it over to Alfonso (who at least painted the bathroom).  

Alfonso made even worse repairs.  But it passed inspection (I think because the inspector was paid off, to be honest) and the appraisal so we got the house.  But various things over the years would lead Ron to shout out "Alfonso!" as a curse word.  Like when the ungrounded dishwasher almost electrocuted me one night.  Ron turned off the fuse, got on the floor, pulled it out, found the problem, fixed it, and never another problem.  He was good like that.  

So the guys are here and working on the closet and main door in Ron's room.  The closet door was sticking which we all assumed were foundation issues (we have clay soil and some settling is pretty normal).  It was NOT.  Alfonso just did a really terrible job installing the door.  So we will see if we can fix it.  If not I can run a curtain rod across the front like I did in my room, and then hang a nice curtain.  I am not too worried about it either way.  But just NOT surprised it was Alfonso doing a bad job.  

I forgot to turn down the heater but the guys need the door open so it's cooler.  They have a hose going to the compressor.  I propped the door open and turned off the heater.  I will be OK and can wear a jacket. 

So that's it for now.  My pillow covers are coming today so I will put up photos of that when it's done.   


No comments: