Tuesday, March 29, 2022

The last I'll see them in a while

 So my aunt and uncle came out for a goodbye visit before they leave tomorrow.  We ran a few errands.  I wanted more slow cooker liners; they have worked very well for me and I plan to slow cook more meats in the future, so better to have a pack now.  Then we went to the import store.  

When I went yesterday they had some "roasted chickpeas".  Sounded good but can I just eat them?  Are they meant for cooking?  I didn't know.  I did some research when I got home.  They are apparently very yummy.  So I went back today and got a kilo.  We will see how they turn out.  

Then we went to lunch at the taqueria.  It is going to be a while before I make it back there.  We stopped by the panderia (Mexican bakery), which my aunt and I always did every week.  Pastries are only eighty cents each.  She got her concha and I got a few things because it's going to be months before I get back.  

Last stop Food town.  I got a few lemon pies and verified that yes, the meat prices are astoundingly low.  I plan to call Jack (who lives nearby) for a ride on my day off once or twice a month to do a meat run.  I will still come out ahead even paying for the ride because the prices really are that good, and the meat is very good quality.  Glad I have figured that out.  

One thing I like; they have smaller portions of meat.  I am only one person with a small freezer, I can't eat 10 pork chops.  

Then we came home and hung out.  My uncle sat on the couch and Baby Girl got up next to him for petting.  They had a good time.  My aunt sat in my computer chair (turned around to face the room) and I sat in "my" chair.  Baby Girl had a really good time hanging out with my uncle.  He is the kind of person good with animals and kids.  He's the one who did our wills.  

My aunt (not a cat lover) even petted Baby Girl, because she was so cute, and purring.  Who can resist a purring Baby Girl?  No one!  So Baby Girl got even more attention which was great.  She won't be seeing them for a while.  

While all this was going on the truck full of belongings was hundreds of miles away headed to their new home.  They live (now) close to 3 of their boys, so the daughters in law were able to get the delivery of household goods and get them all set up.  So all the big stuff is in place and then they just have to open up all the boxes and put them away.  So that's good.  I really think the move is going to be a good thing for them to have more family support.  

I mean, something happens, they get sick, what can I do?  Not much.  I could send them food and Amazon but that's about it.  Now they have 5 adults at the ready to help them, one of them living with them.  All of the 5 can drive and are making money.  So I'm glad they have that.  And of course they are very well loved, the boys, daughters in law, and grandkids.  

I won't have my 'visit" every week.  But I will make it.  I can still call them and text.  Do zoom even when I figure that out (I have zoom on my tablet).  I can get stuff at work, pay for rides to Foodtown, etc.  I have Amazon prime as well.  So I am not worried about "getting" anything.  

I am glad that Torbie died while my aunt was still in town to help with that.  It is a lot harder than I would have thought to dig a grave.  But I still have the shovel and I know "how" to do it know if something happens.  

I am one of those worst-case people.  So I am happy for them going, sorry for myself.  Wondering who else God is going to take out of my life.  I have lost Ron, my cat, my aunt and uncle.  Not really lost them but lost a lot of important contact.  

HAPPY for them don't doubt that one bit.  But I wonder if the depression is coming and how bad.  God, I hope she doesn't read this.  I really need to figure out Zoom calls.  

I have been eating "whatever" this week but once all the treats are gone, I am not buying any more aspartame drink mix.  I am only buying one six pack of diet Dew a week, and drinking ONE of them before work on the days I do work.  I am not buying anything with wheat in it, and eating FAR more things I cook, without additives, flavor enhancers, and preservatives.  And I am VERY curious to see where that takes me.  

No more trips to the bakery... no easy rides to Walmart, means I can't buy CRAP.  

On an unrelated note I bit the side of my tongue and it has been very painful.  And I keep biting it.  So it's the sore that will not heal.  I will be glad when that does heal up.  I never realized how much I move my tongue around and even talking hurts.  

The cats: Cleo hid, of course.  She acts fear-al around "strangers", even if they have been by dozens of times.  Biscuit came out but not for petting.  Spotty was in the front room when we came home but didn't run away as fast as he could.  And Baby Girl was my ambassador.

The neighbors put a tiny bag of trash in my can last night.  I am OK with that.  I am learning to pick my battles.  

But everyone I told about the can situation has been like "Oh, NO"  It is pretty funny.  Everyone is territorial when it comes to their trash can.  

I was just happy I had room for my regular trash, cleaning out the kitchen, food prep trash (meat wrappers and such), cat litter, etc.  They can have what is left.  I am alright with that, really.  

I plan to try a few chickpeas tonight and make sure they are not a migraine trigger (off tomorrow).  But I am not very hungry after my cheese quesadilla.  

That's it for now.  

Edit: chickpeas are not bad but I bit myself a couple more times, eating them.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry your aint and uncle moved. That was so quick. Yes you have had a lot of loss in the past year. I know you will be ok though.

Heather Knits said...

Thanks. I will miss them but they are a phone call away. I will just get all my hugs from the cats now (the cats hate hugs).