Wednesday, March 9, 2022

My poor cats

 Bad enough the guys are there working on Ron's room.  Then the yard guys came for next door.  I looked and all the cats were cowering under my bed.  I left them alone.  

BAD headache today.  I took Advil + Tylenol at 5, lemon pie at 7, Excedrin at 9:30.  Aromatherapy roll on about 30 minutes ago.  That helped some.  But I'm jittery now from the Excedrin.  My aunt says a cold front is coming so that is likely it.  

Guys are still working.  I really want to lie down but that is not happening.  And I need to cook my lentils.  Make some lunch for next week.  I go back tomorrow.  The good news I get paid next week.  I am trying to be stingy with my pay.  

And the elusive pillow covers are coming sometime today.  I found some turquoise standard pillow cases (my parents gave me a sheet set for my birthday) I can use in Ron's room.  Those will work nicely and are needed.  

I had a closet with some things I don't want anyone to see, of course they accidentally opened that which I find funny.  Oh, well.  Not much I can do now.  

The guys needed more paint, there was an edge around the door that had to be painted because they took the trim off to hang the new door.  Glad I had the paint.  They seem to be able to work around the bed and I left the big floor fan in there which they are using.  I am glad I didn't get ready for it.  Some paint fumes but not as bad this time.  I will open some windows when they leave.  

And I feel like I can take a nap and then do my cooking after I get up, I'm just cooking some sausage in the skillet and then throwing some of it in with my lentils.  I may throw some rice in there too.  I have half a potato in the fridge too so I may just do sausage, lentils, potato.  

I need to look at my onion, I think I have some in the freezer but it is a blend with peppers and celery, which would be kind of ick with the lentils.  Looking at my lentil cookbook there are a lot of spices I don't have.  Ron mainly liked salt, pepper, garlic, and onion in his food.  I am allergic to garlic.  So I don't use much as it gives me a headache; I get enough headaches.  But maybe look at other spices?  

I have curry, chili powder, rosemary, a couple kinds of curry actually, onion powder, garlic (other people like it and sometimes worth the headache), Italian seasoning, BBQ spice (mainly salt and MSG), etc.  I need to make a list of spices to get.  

Things are not getting any better, folks, you need to stock up on food.  I have some rice and beans so I have been focused on how to make those interesting.  I work at Walmart, meat is getting less and less affordable so I had better find something that works (ground turkey has been good so far).  But if you have a good sized freezer grab some meat while you can, pack it up for longer term, freeze it.  Get some pantry staples you enjoy like rice, pasta if you can find it, beans you like, ramen noodles even.  But get them now, they are only going up.  

Do you need to go buy some $1,000 survival kit with dehydrated food?  No, most of that stuff is crap.  But buy things you will eat, I have some canned pasta I enjoy.  Canned pasta is still pretty cheap at less than 70 cents.  The pouches of meat (chicken, tuna, pulled pork, etc) in the mylar are pretty cheap at about a dollar each.  They are very good, too.  A decent amount of protein.  Easy to pair with some rice.  Or starch of your choice, potatoes are still pretty cheap I think (I don't eat a lot of potatoes).  Just buy a little extra because you are going to see food prices rise dramatically.  You think it's bad now?  Ha!  

Anyway I am done with that.  I had a can of pasta for lunch and it was very good.  I have to eat a lot of salt so I added salt to it, it would probably have made an average person gag but I require it.  "The lithium Ion is a bully that pushes the Sodium Ion out of the body" - Doc.  He has given me several lectures on the necessity of salt consumption.  

I don't know what lithium users with high blood pressure do, I can only assume they have to switch to another drug, but many mental health meds cause the body to lose sodium.  So it's important for me to have a decent amount of salt on hand.  

I am going to try to enjoy the rest of my day off; the guys are still here (work by the job not the hour).  The lead was able to break up Ron's door and put it in my trash can I was impressed.  He also gave me a very reasonable quote for redoing the ceiling fixture over the dining area.  He said that would be easy, and also suggested he could hardwire a ceiling fixture in Ron's room as well.  I would like to do that but not as important as the dining area one.  That can wait though.  I'll get it eventually.  

But I am tired of the specialty bulbs in my existing feature, plus it is outdated to say the least.  Anyway I am happy the closet looks great, the doors are painted, the doors all close.  

I did not have a foundation issue, I had a bad door installation 20 years ago.  That is good to know.  That's it for now.  

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good advice on stocking up. We are in for quite a ride with prices rising and no end in sight. Peanut butter, eggs, and yogurt are also some decent protein sources that aren't as high yet as meat.

Anonymous said...

I am stocking up with canned goods, dry goods are in a plastic tub and I'm planning a victory garden. Shelves are getting bare in michigan.

Heather Knits said...

Yeah it's just smart. It's sure not getting any better.

I am doing what I can on a poverty level budget. Rice is still cheap, and available, in 20 pound sacks at the store (about $8 at my store). Smaller packages are gone. Get some while you can; I feel really bad for those on Keto/carnivore diets as they will have to revert to high carb cheap starches to survive.

Clothing has also gotten pretty expensive so do your shopping now! Summer stuff is in!

Anonymous said...

I used to be on Atkins, I'm trying to have self control instead.

Heather Knits said...

I couldn't sustain it long term. When I allow myself to eat anything in moderation I find myself eating, for instance (tonight) 4 small cookies. When I wasn't "allowed" I ate far more when I did go off plan.

Jenny of Bloodsugar101.com fame said some people are just not cut out for extremely restrictive diets, that if you were dreaming of cheats (I did, frequently) it was better to switch to a more moderate plan. Which I have.

Anonymous said...

I was doing real good on it, for years. My hair was getting thin though. I also realized I never had to address my real issue of overeating.

Heather Knits said...

I worked with junk food and had a highly stressful life. So I lost 80 pounds twice, but couldn't keep it off.

I was embarrassed, I had lost about 50 pounds the year after the accident. When we went back to work everyone ignored Ron and exclaimed over me with the weight loss. I felt bad for him. Ron's like "Did you look THAT bad?"

Anonymous said...

That's funny.