Monday, March 28, 2022

Monday morning

 Ooh, that was unpleasant.  

I slept OK only woke up once.  Got up around 7 and started my meal prep.  I had a pork roast about 4 pounds, plan was to cut in half and then put one half in the crock pot, set the other half to start marinating to cook tomorrow.  

DID NOT know a "pork loin roast" has a big bone in it.  At least mine did, on the underneath side.  So I had a little tricky cutting to get two halves out of that.  But I got the big half in the crock pot with some sweet potatoes, red pepper flakes, chicken broth, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves.  I also added a little salt to the chicken broth (about 1/8 t).  It just fits so that is good and the crock pot is already warm.  I will take it off the heat around 5 and eat it around 6.  Hopefully it works out.  

I took the second half and put it in a freezer bag to marinate with some coca cola, a garlic clove (which I peeled), a splash of liquid smoke, and a few whole peppercorns.  I washed my hands after peeling the garlic but my hands still reek.  So all done, did most of the dishes (more hand washing) and ate a banana, but as I got my hand close to my face all I could smell and taste was garlic.  And that's a bad pairing with banana!  Ugh.  

The cats are good.  I miss Torbie sleeping with me, one thing I regret, a night or so before she died she was sleeping in the middle of my bed, I had to go to sleep and I moved her.  She wasn't happy.  I should have just slept in Ron's room.  But it's not like I knew.  

And someone just went in the cabinet under the sink.  My boys LOVE it under there.  That is fine I want them comfortable.  Let me go see who it is.  

It's Biscuit!  If I ever redid the cabinets (they hold my food and dishes so fine with them now) I would have them cut a hole so Biscuit and Spotty could still get in their spot.  I would take out the dishwasher as I never use it and put another cabinet in the space as I can use the storage.  New counters I picked one out, it was a fake granite composite I liked, but I have so much junk on the counters you can't see it anyway.  And the counters are fine except for some marks when someone used a butcher knife to chop something right on the counter.  But I've been living with that for 18 years.  

Went to the bathroom, had Cleo come visit but she was scared of the toilet paper.  I will make a housecat out of her yet.  Poor little nut.  It must be awful being so scared all the time.  But she is happy and loves petting, and sleeping with me.  I just wait for her to approach me for petting.  She is worth a little trouble.  Not to mention she is so nice to look at.  Washed my hands again and I still smell like garlic.  I plan to take the clove out of the food when it finishes cooking.  

Ron always used to get the garlic clove when I would make a roast, he would spit it out.  

It looks like a nice day so I am going to get going.  I plan to go to the import grocery store today.  I still need to figure out what I am going to do with those drumsticks.  

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read to rub your hands with stainless steel or a spoon to get the smell off.
Let me know if it works.

Anonymous said...

To get rid of the garlic smell, pour approximately 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of baking soda in your hand. Add a tiny bit of water (enough to make a paste) then rub your hands together for 30 seconds. Follow up with soap and cold water. The baking soda should absorb the odor and the salt acts as an exfoliant

Heather Knits said...

It faded off before I could try either remedy.