Wednesday, February 5, 2020

Some of Tuesday and Wednesday morning

I was pretty manic yesterday, which ended up being pretty funny.  They had taken apart the old bathroom cabinet and left it in my bedroom, put the sink outside.  I took all that outside. 

Years ago, someone with an alcohol problem was helping me with the house.  I admit I am not used to expecting people to be drunk so when he told me to buy certain boards I went and did it, it was a big hassle as I had to basically rent the use of a pickup truck to get them home.  Then he came, sober, what the hell is this?  I don't need this!  And I realized he had been drunk the first time.  So what do I do with six four by one by eight boards?  I put them at the head of my bed but they got flooded, so they put them outside as well.  I finally put them out at the curb yesterday. 

I had a garbage picker prying the sink off the countertop (pressed wood) and throwing it in his pickup truck yesterday about an hour after I put it all out.  The fixture is 35 years old.  So are the hoses.  The sink itself is chipped and the stopper never worked right.  But he wanted it and it is less work for the trash pickup guys.  I don't like garbage men.  I don't think it is respectful. 

Anyway, that was gone, I was a little messy after that but OK.  I had my notebook, it has a pocket in it and I had all my paint chips in there.  Except one, which I later found out. 

My aunt came to pick me up to get paint.  Her husband was a little concerned about a 5 gallon bucket in the trunk and asked, nicely, if I would please get 5 x 1 gallons, which I was happy to do.  Not a lot of people willing to help with the paint run and it should make it easier for the painters. 

We made a snack run first.  I was all set to go to customer service and order the vanity first thing, even though I hadn't seen the exact unit I wanted.  She thought we should go look for it.  We did, didn't find it, but they had a very similar one in a smaller size I indicated and she liked it.  A lot of them had this horrible beige counter top.  I had that for most of my adult life, a horrible beige counter top, not interested!  Especially as they cost the same.  So I got a white top. 

But first, a faucet.  I found one I like that should be easy for Ron to use, it has two lever handles.  Not horribly expensive, either. 

Then the paint.  I got the 5 x 1 and got out the cream sample, it was the same guy who helped me out the other day and he did a great job whipping those up.  I got the lilac/lavender in the Glidden because they could only match the Glidden chip to Glidden paint?  I didn't care as long as I had something good, and I got the semi gloss which is better for scrubbing and it said it had mildew resistance.  I got a gallon of trim paint and then 3 gallons of drywall paint, it even had a picture of drywall on the can.  I had also been told this was "the" drywall paint so I felt pretty confident putting it in the cart.  One can had dust on it so I got something else. 

Then, the orange.  I got a gallon of satin.  And I couldn't find the chip.  I went over to the display.  My aunt is mildly horrified, I think, I am doing orange but being a good sport about it.  I found a likely color. 

If you have ever been to buy paint you know they match the color and put the open paint can under the color dispenser, and then they dial in how much pigment to add to the paint.  It kept adding and adding pigment for my orange, it was pretty funny, it wouldn't stop, went almost a minute.  That is going to be a BOLD color. 

Between us I will use the room for my God time, in a big papasan chair, and working out.  So orange is good for that.  Not necessarily good for a sick room, though.  But good for MY purposes. 

I had all the paint, a whole cart full.  I put my samples back in the folder.  Off to customer service to buy my vanity, I had written the store number down off the web page.  So we did that.  It had to be rung separately.  My debit card didn't have a problem with that.  Then it was time to buy the paint and the sink.  The debit card did request the PIN number on that transaction, which I found funny. 

Then we got me another drink (decaf, this time) and came home, put all the paint away in the garage.  My vanity comes today and I will put it out in the garage. 

I forgot to get a toilet paper holder but did order one off Amazon that is a stand, holding 3 rolls, and then holds a roll at the top without mounting onto anything, I liked the looks of it.  It is really nice to have free reign on decorating.  Some real benefits to marrying a blind person. 

I will need to go back and get hoses for the sink but other than that I am good.  I went to bed pretty early. 

Ron was quiet.  I have been trying to get him to take Kratom so he will not be as affected by the weather change today, we have a cold front coming.  I slept pretty well in my new cot, which is roomier and I am inclined to say worth the money.  Biscuit and I fit just fine, last night.  I had been missing him in bed so nice to have him back. 

I got up pretty early and knocked over my water bottle, releasing half a gallon of water all over the concrete.  And this is why I want water proof flooring.  Not resistant, proof.  Because stuff like this happens in my life.  I had to get rid of a pillow which got soaked but I had not been using it.  Everything else was OK and the concrete will dry out just fine, it sure did back in December. 

I fed the cats, everyone is happy.  Cleo is better but Spotty caught the sniffle, but is acting normally.  Ron was OK when I got up. 

I just need to take a shower and get dressed for the delivery guys, whenever they come. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

So you kept boards from years ago that were water damaged BUT you are not a hoarder. Yeah right. There are different levels of hoarding. Still insisting on that god awful orange paint. Even your aunt was horrified and I have never heard of them not being able to match a paint color no matter where it is from. They just put it in the machine and you can use whatever brand of pain you want. You must have had a new person or a really stupid person helping you in the paint department.

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I admit I have the hoarding trait. My sister was doomed when both her grandmothers (different fathers for us) died within a few years of each other, right after our mother died. She went into full hoarder mode and kept all of their stuff, what she could get of our mother's (she lost a storage unit full of stuff right before her death), wouldn't give up anything. She was trying to pawn it all off on me but I got rid of most of it. Some, like the family silver set, were an appropriate regift when her daughter married, but most of it was thrift store quality crap. I think I do still have a pair of scissors.

When manic, I direct that to purging. I have cat stuff, a 10 quart bucket of toiletries, and a garbage bag full of clothes right now and I like living like this. I will be renting a dumpster and purging most of what comes back from the storage unit. I intend to legally ensure I am manic when that day comes, that will help a lot.

Paint color doesn't match, Glidden had good reviews online. I will probably be sick of it before it wears out. That's what I told my linen shop customers when they bought Jubilee bath mats, "You will be sick of it before it wears out". I did a very strong curry gold color in the bedroom for nearly 20 years and it made me happy every time I looked at it.

Bright colors make me happy, like a parrot, and probably a really good idea to spend time in that bright room when I am getting depressed.

You also have to remember 75% of the house, including my bedroom, will be a basic cream color.

Anonymous said...

Did you seek advice from the painter on what type of paint to buy? I would never get semigloss for walls. Satin - still cleans up good. Semigloss for trim. I have painted my houses a million times.

Are you actually going to do God time again?

Heather Knits said...

I certainly plan to do God Time again. I didn't ask what type of paint but semigloss has better scrub and stain resistance, apparently. Ron has put finger marks all over the walls pulling himself along so I need something I can scrub. I like how the samples look on my walls.

Anonymous said...

Don't see why you can't do your god time since you only work 2-3 days a week and are home most of the time. Does ron really take up your entire day?

Anonymous said...

You can scrub satin paint. You really should be asking the painter (expert) these things.

Heather Knits said...

He does not, takes pride in "not bothering me" much. It really depends, giving him a bath is going to be over an hour. Helping him get dressed is about 15 minutes.

We both require a lot of sleep.

Ideally I am going to need a lamp and some sort of chair for the room, and all my study guides are in storage. I could still cobble something and I may do that tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Ron doesn’t approve of the God Time

Anonymous said...

you know, I hate orange and yellow, but apparently Heather doesn't, so why would it be any concern of ours what colour she paints her rooms? If it's going to make her feel good, why not?
B

Heather Knits said...

I had a boss over 20 years ago, he talked about how he had a friend (female) with severe depression. Her doctor suggested she paint a room in her house a bright color she loved and sit there whenever she felt down. She did that (loud yellow color) and found it very helpful.

And, if I get sick of it, I can always paint it. Think of it as medicinal orange. :)