Friday, February 28, 2020

Happily my day got better

We started by going to Sam's, I already wrote about THAT ride.  I just can't stand the germ freaks, they are just operating from an irrational place of fear.  So worried about her HANDS when the virus is AIRborne. 

I did my shopping, got our food, we went to work and stocked.   We didn't need to do much so we left early and came home.  So far the day was uneventful. 

But, and I have never discussed this with anyone, my footwear can go from fine to terrible one day to the next I am in extreme pain and no support.  I had that with my boots.  I figured screw this I would go to Walmart and get some new shoes. 

I took off the painful work boots and wore my slides.  I went to Walmart and got some canned food, soda, and shoes.  I was happy to find Oregano oil which I think is great for immunity.  The canned food was pretty depleted, about what I've seen when we have a hurricane, and a lot of people had bottled water BUT we had a boil order for most of Houston today (not my area).  I paid and went outside. 

A woman and her friend came up to me disturbingly close like they were waiting with me.  I moved and they did not follow me. 

My Uber driver had me before so he came right over.  I came home and put everything away, took an Oregano oil, and took care of Ron. 

I laid down for a nap, Biscuit got on me, Spotty and Cleo nearby.  We had a pretty good nap but I woke up with a headache.  Ron woke me up, he had lost his blanket.  Maybe I need to give him one of my sleeping bags.  I got him situated, then he wanted apple juice. 

I am happy with my stock of canned food.  I also got some cup of noodles as well.  I like those they are a good comfort food. 

One of my Facebook friends has become rather frustrating.  She adopted a low functioning autistic child.  That is her business.  But she got very upset ranting online about how "high functioning" as a statement "isn't fair to those with less ability".  What are we SUPPOSED to call them? 

UGH.  It reminds me of some of the blind community, they get all bent if you call them blind even though they can't see anything.  They even sued Disney over the Mr Magoo movie.  Then people don't know what to call Ron because they are all worried about offending him.  Ron is fine with "blind".  He is also fine with "had a stroke" and "head injured".   It has gotten ridiculous people are getting offended at ANY term used for the slow or different/  Every term you can generate is "offensive" to them and the person who actually has a problem doesn't care!  That is what I find so funny!  The person with the problem doesn't care. 

Now I can see a term like "dummy" or "idiot" but "idiot" was an actual medical term for a certain intelligence range, back in the day.  People turned it into an insult.  Pretty soon people like Linda will have us all referring to them as "non neurotypical" or some nonsense. 

Sometimes the simplest term is the best, like "slow" or "high functioning autistic". 

The other one that gets me are the people who diagnose themselves online, decide they are "autistic", get NO backup on that - no testing at all - and want "accommodations"  It doesn't work that way.  Otherwise we would all be "autistic". 

I remember at work there was a guy dying of cancer and they wouldn't let him sit down while he worked his regular job.  He had to stand, or do another job, because they didn't want to set a precedent.  He was resigned to it and went to the other job, which he did until he died. 

She was quite upset they wouldn't "accommodate" her, though.  Because, after all, she knew someone who was diagnosed autistic and she had all the same features, so she MUST be autistic, too, right?  ANYONE could see that, she'd say.  [rolleyes]  But she would never go for a formal diagnosis. 

Ruins it for those of us with actual limitations.  And yes, I have a formal diagnosis of Fetal Alcohol AND Bipolar with schizophrenia.  Ron asks me for help, but really no one else aside from rides in the wheelchair cab. 

We do complement each other in our needs, he needs more physical assistance, memory care, job coaching.  I need my nap every day if I can get it.  :) 

3 comments:

Friendly friend said...

You have held your shit together through a whirlwind of a mess and with a severely declining abusive man i feel like YOU have to be exhausted physically and mentally , maybe you could have a day at the beach?
It is a good idea while your house is still in progress to do your emergency plan for yourself, Ron and the cats all staged in a way that suits your lifestyle...to have your flood kit well stocked with food and entertainment you enjoy..i believe i told you i helped set shelters up for The Red Cross in our county . They stressed to folks to only put things they like and already use ..then rotate it out on the regular. Speaking os supplies..how was Ron’s canned pasta that scares me!! Do you keep water? I try to keep 10 gallons stashed between my car and apartment > i hit the local Asian markets for the “good “ Korean ramen noodles,...i mix in dried veggies off amazon (i bought really nice mixed dried fruits and mixed dried soup veg to mix into rice or noodles along with Knorr cubes and the tiny dried shrimp i have all kinds of food )i have a gas stove and need a little camp stove for my bike anyway or during during “the big one” yes do your kit and claim space for it. When your things return you can add emergency gear you already own. Plan a day out caretakers need time for self care and it would hurt to get Ron out to a park for some air?

Heather Knits said...

Oh, I bought canned food we like, Pb&J fixings, canned pastas we like, etc. It has been a long time since Ron could fix himself a meal and I have to think, not just for the current scare, what if I get sick and he needs to eat? So it all has pop tops, things like BBQ vienna sausage, etc. I like cup of noodles so I got about a dozen of them.

Cat food was important of course, I have enough for about a month now. I have some bone broth and chicken soup on hand already so that's covered, and some longer term foods like a little bit of lentils and rice. I have plenty of spices to make that interesting.

I was most concerned about the cat food but there are no shortages of that yet

I am going to see if my aunt and uncle want to go out to lunch sometime. They are retired now and maybe we could go get some BBQ at Ron's favorite place.

I saw the veggies on Amazon and plan to get some. I don't have a real plan for water yet.

Anonymous said...

EXPLAINER-How long can coronavirus survive on surfaces?
by Reuters
Friday, 28 February 2020 22:33 GMT
By Deena Beasley

Feb 28 (Reuters) - As a new coronavirus spreads quickly around the world, U.S. health officials say they are "aggressively" assessing how long it can survive on surfaces to better understand the risk of transmission.

Based on what is known about similar coronaviruses, disease experts say the new outbreak of the virus, named COVID-19, is mainly spread from person to person through coughing or sneezing. Contact with fecal matter from an infected person may also transmit the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it may be possible for a person to become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

An analysis of 22 earlier studies of similar coronaviruses, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) published online this month in the Journal of Hospital Infection, concluded that human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days at room temperature. However, they can quickly be rendered inactive using common disinfectants, and may also dissipate at higher temperatures, the authors wrote. It is not yet clear, however, whether the new coronavirus behaves in a similar way.

"On copper and steel it's pretty typical, it's pretty much about two hours," CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told U.S. lawmakers on Thursday, referring to how long the new coronavirus may be active on those types of materials. "But I will say on other surfaces - cardboard or plastic - it's longer, and so we are looking at this."

The agency said there is likely a very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures.

A CDC spokeswoman, in an emailed statement, said the agency is still looking into how contagious the virus can be when deposited on more common, everyday surfaces.

The Food and Drug Administration this week said it has no evidence that COVID-19 has been transmitted from imported goods, but the situation remains "dynamic" and the agency said it will assess and update guidance as needed.

"The important big take-home message is that this is probably a small proportion of the transmission of respiratory viruses," said Dr. Timothy Brewer, professor of epidemiology and medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles. "Out in the community, these viruses are probably not surviving for a long time on surfaces."

Brewer explained that such viruses tend to survive the longest in low-temperature, low-humidity environments, "that is why you see lots of respiratory viruses during the winter." (Reporting by Deena Beasley Editing by Leslie Adler)

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.