Monday, February 3, 2020

Monday morning

I  barely stopped Ron from doing a face plant in the driveway, and then he had a major attitude because I made him wear the seatbelt. 

I woke up pretty early, got online, took my shower, got got of us dressed, etc.  It was all pretty uneventful until the ride arrived.  I was outside, getting rid of trash, when she pulled up so I suggested she back in to make it easier to load, she was fine doing that.  I got Ron and took him outside in the wheelchair, I looked away a second, looked back, and he is halfway out of the wheelchair well on his way to a face plant in the drive way.  I managed to grab his belt and haul him back.  "What?!" and belt him in. 

He was OK on the way to work other than raving about crabbing with his family when he was a child, when we had to wait under an overpass on a light change.  He always mentions going crabbing with his family if he has to wait under an overpass, but this time he kept asking were the crabs bad.  I finally shouted "All that was 60 years ago!" and he shut up. 

We got to work and I put him in the hall because I 1.  Did not trust him to get in his work chair, safely and 2.  Stock properly.  I did some work, he said he wanted to get into his wheelchair.  It was very ugly but he did it and did do some work after all. 

I did what I could, sales were dead but I stocked what I could.  I had a bad headache all morning up until now. 

The stress did not help; Ron and I had a blowout about the seat belt "I'm not that feeble" etc.  We left, went to the bank, I paid my $100 on the credit card.  My aunt and I texted, she is going to come get me tomorrow afternoon to go to Home Depot and get my paint for the project.  I like the colors I picked, I'm ready to go. 

It will be a lot of paint, though.  I plan to also purchase the bathroom vanity/sink combo that is about $180, it will fit, and a faucet for it as well.  I'm just debating one vs two handles. 

We came home, I got Ron in the house and went and smoked a hemp cigarette in the driveway.  He said once he had a girlfriend who used to smoke in the house and that really upset him.  So I went outside for that.  Later on he said he didn't care. 

He did get some points for reminding me to get Cleo a hamburger at the McDonald's drive through on the way home. 

The smoke didn't help much, for a change, I came in and helped him get to bed. 

I laid down and tried to get some sleep, I couldn't, and that's a shame because for once the cats left me to my bed.  I got up and went after the hemp pipe, and the Excedrin.  And a cold diet Mountain Dew.  I will lick this headache yet.  In fact, I am going to have some more hemp.  It does help just not for long. 

I just smoked that pipe like a chimney.  We will see if that helps, long term. 

Oh, and some guy called while I was at work "I'm calling about your Home Advisor request" - that was MONTHS ago.  I told him I had already hired someone for the job.  I was rude.  But it was the kind of day that fed that. 

Ron wanted to get on the toilet and has camped out.  I got him to eat a double cheeseburger earlier.  So at least he has some nutrients on board, I worry about him and protein. 

I will need to wash his electric blanket.  I will wait until it is warmer, though, and he will part with it.  It has a definite odor, which was frustrating to me going in his room thinking "Why does it reek?  I just washed him!" 

I just got through talking to Ron about the bathroom fixtures, he is fine with what I have planned so far.  I want him to feel like he has some input.  He said he honestly doesn't care but I want to include him in the process. 

I am basically remodeling the entire home, I want to make the right deicisions.  The vanity I picked out will accommodate the wider doorway and the sink setup, the right width and all.  And I figure I can't go wrong with plain white.  I had this horrible pattern on my sink counter before and I always hated it.  And the new one has a white sink. 

The white and the lilac will be very pretty together.  I may get some butter yellow soft and floofy towels to contrast the paint.  Just a thought.  Towels are so cheap these days I could do anything.  I do have a fair amount of plain white towels if it comes to that. 

One thing I will not be purging: my collection of towels.  I am NOT giving those up.  I could have really used them when I had the second leak, but they were already in storage. 

My "good" queen sized sheets were in the dryer at the time of the first event and are fine, but where do I put them with no furniture?  I have them in a closet but that's all I could think to do.  The bed was made up with the cheap sheets which is probably for the best, if it gets dirty no big deal. 

I will be glad to get all my stuff back, though.  The bigger cot is a good investment because I may use it again, and even if I get done in 2 weeks (not likely) that is still 2 weeks of better sleeping for $4 a night. 

I got the blanket away from Ron and am hand washing it in the tub.  It can't be machine washed, only hand washed.  Which is fine if you don't pee on it.  UGH. 

I plan to add some vinegar to the rinse water, that should help. 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Instead of shouting at Ron when he is trying to tell a story, why don't you get him a support system to help him and actually listen to him?

He isn't telling stories to annoy or embarrass you. He is trying to engage you, and others, in conversation. He is isolated.

He needs help.


Heather Knits said...

He was getting very belligerent demanding to know if the crabs were bad. I yelled "No that was 60 years ago" and he shut up.

Anonymous said...

Lawyer here who’s commented before about getting help.

Do not let Ron sign contracts, agree to contracts, or do anything involving large sums of money.

If he thinks it’s 60 years ago... along with his bathroom incidents recently, video of him, your stories.

He’s not in a well state of mind and that means if he made a contract it would be legally void. People who aren’t mentally able to enter a job, make deals with the bank, etc. can be very easily taken advantage of.

Make sure he signs or agrees to nothing or it could be bad. You need to be the one doing things.

Anonymous said...

Talking about stuff from “60 years ago “ is a major sign of dementia. That’s sad. You could have just said sure the crabs are bad or no they’re not. You’ll learn as his dementia progresses you have to go along with whatever he’s saying. If you can’t handle that then get him the support he needs.

Heather Knits said...

We put the insurance money in my account and I am handling the remodel. He wouldn't be signing anything else anyway.

@ the other comment I guess I will learn as I go along.

Anonymous said...

No you probably won't learn because all of the good advice you have been given has been ignored.

Heather Knits said...

He did ask today how we would figure out if he had dementia. I bit my tongue and simply said it would require a doctor visit. So he is thinking about it. When he is ready I will take him, of course, to the doctor.

Anonymous said...

Call and get him help. People can come to the house and explain his choices to him. It is disgusting that you are allowing this to continue. He has no support system and you are keeping him isolated so you can keep enjoying his income streams.

Do the right thing. Get him help. And stop yelling at him for having basic symptoms of traumatic brain injury and cognitive decline. Yelling at him when he doesn't know what is going on is a clear sign that you can't care for him without help.

Heather Knits said...

He doesn't fall down daily. He fell down twice in two days, after weeks of not falling, and no falls in the week since. He needs help sometimes getting in the wheelchair which pulls muscles in my forearm, I am going to have big beefy arms at the end of this. And we don't walk about the other thing. That has not been an issue at work.

He was just fine on his own last night for over 12 hours, if you don't count him bumping into a wall and banging a scab on his knee.

He is asleep right now but I will ask when he gets up, if he wants a "team". So far he has not. I was lucky to get some kratom into him today, with a cold front coming he is going to need all he can get.

Anonymous said...

You have mentioned him falling several blogs in a row

It’s funny what you try to censor

Heather Knits said...

He fell and I wrote about it for a couple of days? That's all I can figure. He did fall 2x in 2 days which had me upset but he has been OK for him since then.

We call it "getting him by his scruff" where I grab him and hoist him into the wheelchair. That is a little rough on me as I mentioned but we are getting it done.

Heather Knits said...

He has been pretty bad overall since 2011. Goes up and down, in a good spot right now actually but it is rough at times, has been, like I said, for a very long time.

He was drinking everclear and beat me up pretty badly back in 2007, better than that since then but not an easy road since.

Anonymous said...

Did you read what you just wrote?

He’s been bad overall since 2011
In a good spot right now
It is rough at times for a very long time

???

He beat me up in 2007
Better than that since
But not easy since

So many contradictions. I wonder if you even know what reality is.

Heather Knits said...

I thought it was very clear. Not beating me up physically is better than 2007. Not drinking Everclear (pure grain alcohol) is better than 2007.

2011 extreme verbal abuse and keeping me up every night. At least lately he has been pretty quiet when I'm sleeping.

Drinking and physical health have not been good since about 2007, but he hasn't gotten worse physically I would say since about 2016 when he had the back surgery, which basically put him back in the wheelchair.

Anonymous said...

“ Drinking and physical health have not been good since about 2007, but he hasn't gotten worse physically I would say since about 2016 when he had the back surgery, which basically put him back in the wheelchair.”

The surgery may have... but him refusing to exercise or do rehab and continue to drink also may have. Don’t blame the doctors when he didn’t follow up on their work and self sabotaged.

Heather Knits said...

I don't blame the doctors, but his back was such a mess I don't think they should have attempted the surgery. If I blame anyone it is the one surgeon. I do not think all doctors are bad, I know Ron's poor primary is very frustrated but some times it is better to say "We are going to leave it alone" rather than try to terrify us by saying he will end up paralyzed if he doesn't have the operation, etc. He might as well be,now.