Sunday, February 16, 2020

I had to go back to Home Depot

4 doors were ruined when my house flooded.  I had to throw them out.  

Carlos said he could get me new doors installed with trim at about $150 each.  That included the door.  Well, I took that offer because I know doors are a pain to install - we had the new front door installed back in 2012 after the house got robbed and it was a real pain for the guys.  

BUT he said I was on my own for doorknobs.  I was OK with that, I did not want the gold tone doorknobs, I wanted satin nickel.  He's coming back Monday, I had to get the knobs.  

So, I had to go.  And I have been thinking for a while about the laundry room.  I would like to have some color in there.  I love aqua.  

Now, let me tell you about the time I got my room painted.  I was a kid, in Virginia.  They painted my room yellow with an orange and yellow shag rug.  I loved it.  But we moved and I had a plain white room for a year or two.  

I used to visit my good grandma every year and that would take a week or two.  So my stepmother said she would paint the room while I was gone, what color did I want?  I said aqua, and came back to light blue.  NOT happy.  

Anyway I have always liked aqua.  So I thought that would be nice in there, I keep the door shut most of the time and am not in there for long so the color will not overpower.  

I had a color chip I had picked up a few weeks back, thinking about it.  

I liked it, I decided, while at the store, I would get a gallon.  The laundry room is not large.  Maybe 10 X 4 feet.  A gallon is plenty.  

I needed dinner as well, what to eat?  I decided the Home Depot has a good Chinese restaurant next door.  I would take a Uber there, get some takeout, go to HD and then home.  

I did that.  

I got the knobs first, they were $20 each so I can see why Carlos said that was on me.  I got 3 of them.  We were able to move one door and for now I am cheaply keeping that knob - a rubbed brass look.  But all the rest are satin nickel.  

Then I went to paint, and got the aqua and another small sample for Ron's room.  I want a little grayer light blue for him.  

The guy wasn't Pablo, my usual paint guy, but I think he did OK.  The aqua looked good at any rate and is semigloss like I wanted.  For some reason the store has the policy if I have a glidden chip it has to be glidden paint.  I can see the point but it is a little annoying.  

But I am sure I, or the next homeowner, will be sick of the aqua by the time it goes.  

Then I went to the tile/flooring area.  I looked at the vinyl planks, some were cute but they are still all about $2.25 a square foot.  LL and HD have those prices, Floor and Decor is more.  

I picked up a few samples anyway and then went over to the tile.  I was thinking to get some mosaic tile Carlos can cut to fit the "hole" in the floor since he took out the wall to widen the door.  It is causing some trouble for Ron.  I found 2 likely ones, one was $4 for a big sheet and one was $3.  I went ahead and got both and Carlos can pick.  I got adhesive, good for floors or walls, it said, some grout that is close to my current grout, and a spreader?  I am not sure what you call it, the flat trowel with the serrated edges.  I have never seen tiling done without one.  Now he has his drywall tool that might work but it was $3.  $3.  I am not going to get stupid over $3.  

Then I got a few sodas and checked out.  I got a Uber pretty quick, about 5 minutes.  He was really sweet and a big help so I gave him a bigger tip.  

I got everything in my house and called my family.  Big takeaway: I am not taking care of myself.  I need to do more for that.  They are right.  

Mom in particular is very impressed with my decisiveness on selections.  I know what I want and that is apparently a really good thing.  I didn't think much of it.  

I told her, really, it's more what I don't want.  I know that.  Like the brass tone yellow doorknobs.  So I am going to get the flooring done, Ron's room, and then accessories like curtain rods and curtains.  Then I am done.  Hopefully I can stretch the money to make it work.  

I just double checked the budget, looks OK for now.  It really depends on the cost of Ron's room.  I will be happy with drywall, paint, and flooring, the rest is just a bonus.  I have doors now... and doorknobs.  I have paint it is going on the walls sometime next week.  Then flooring, if LUMBER DUDES ever get their shit together.  

I really like my plank from them otherwise I would just go to Floor and Decor or Home Depot.  I am invested in it now, but I do have the samples for Home Depot products so I could go with them if LL flakes.  I just looked at my samples, I picked up 2 of the same thing, 'Java Hickory" so I guess I really like it.  

I put my stuff away, fed Ron, and ate my dinner, went to bed early.  I slept 11 hours - I needed it - and got up around 8.  I am about to go take a shower and then call the pharmacy, get my meds if they are there.  

I noticed Carlos' helper likes Monsters so I will get some (the classic kind).  I am also almost out of Diet Dew.  That may or may not be in stock but I will look.  

Oh, I was thinking just now, things I need before I am "done" with the house.  

Curtain rods 
Curtain rods hung
Curtains
Get dumpster
Get stuff back
Purge stuff 
Get slipcovers for loveseats.  

Done.  That is assuming I have already done paint, flooring, trim.  

Then done.  I will be glad when the guys are done with wall repairs because they had to move my washer and dryer, which means no washer and dryer.  :(  I figured this would happen so I did all the laundry possible.  I am fine with that - the poor helper, I think his name is Javi, said he would put it all back and reconnect every day but I said just leave it out (where the kitchen table goes) and I will be OK.  I hated the idea of the things dragging across the tile anyway.  

But, since they are out, we can paint it a nice fresh color.  This has sure kept me busy lately.  But I will get it done.  

We did make the bathroom more accessible for Ron.  Regarding the door knobs I did not get a locking one for my room, but I did for the bathroom.  I never lock my door and if I have to my life is completely screwed anyway.  

And Biscuit is proving he had a head injury.  The guys moved his food bowl yesterday.  He couldn't find it even though it is out in a very accessible space.  I had to pick it up, call him, and then put it down.  He was OK then.  No one had a problem with the water bowl moving.  It is "noisy" for a cat.  

I did change the air filter last night, I was glad I did it was pretty gross, and had only been in for a month.  There was a very slight odor from the wall paste.  So I thought a fresh filter would be a good idea for everyone, the guys were sneezing a little too.  Like, allergy sneezes.  It is done now.  

I really wanted to put in one of the air fresheners but:
1.  Worried it would ruin the unit
2.  Cats don't like scented stuff and are barely OK with a candle
3.  Ron doesn't like a lot of scents.  

So I didn't get it.  

Anyway, going to take my shower.  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had to make the door wider in the bathroom then you would have had to fix the flooring anyway. Now you are going to piece meal in other tile. It makes no sense. Then yesterday you said you were tapped out money wise and today you are back on a spending spree. Which is it?

Heather Knits said...

I'm being careful.

I need doorknobs. That is a fact. So I bought doorknobs and some paint. And a little bit of tile for the spot at the entrance, because Ron has trouble with it.

I am not buying drapes, light fixtures, etc. even though I have a few wish listed (you can view it) until I see how much the flooring, and Ron's room, sets me back. Ideally at the end of this I will have some emergency money as well.

Anonymous said...

So you’re ok with putting tile that doesn’t match to fill a hole for the door widening but not the other spot? Got it.

Heather Knits said...

Basically, yes.