Sunday, October 7, 2012

Inside the lines

Life as an evangelist can be very frustrating.  Why?  Because every year or so, I hear about someone being "persecuted for trying to share Jesus".  Then, as I read the real story, it's apparent they were giving society the finger and had it coming to them.  

I, selfishly, get upset because I feel they will screw things up for law-abiding evangelists like me.  Regardless of what I think of society; I obey the rules.  Don't touch the cars.  Don't impede traffic.  Don't take money.  Don't touch the recipients (implied, but should be stated regardless).  

The latest case in New Orleans: they had a prohibition on street preaching of any kind.  They went out and did it anyway.  They got arrested and are now crying victim.  They broke the law.  All they can say is "Well, the officer told us we wouldn't be arrested if we did it again."  God tells us to respect the law; to live quietly and obey our rulers.  


Titus 3:1-3

New King James Version (NKJV)

Graces of the Heirs of Grace

Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men.For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another.


Here's the link:  They told me not to, but I did anyway. Now I am a victim.

Or my favorite, the guy who built his own church, got jailed for violating his homeowner's covenant and multiple building codes, and then said he had been jailed for "having a Bible study in his home".  The police said, again and again, it wasn't about that.  He violated the covenant on his deed restriction, lied on his permit application, calling the 2000 square foot building a "game room", yet having "church" in it and collecting money.

[facepalm]  People, we aren't supposed to lie.  I am not going to put up all the Bible verses on the subject.  You'll just have to believe me, or go to www.biblegateway.com and type in the keyword of your choice.

Now, I love all these people, they are my siblings in Christ.  There is the good, moral, honest, legal way to share Him; and there is the deceptive way.  While you may get results with the second method, I doubt it pleases God.

The way I see it, we're supposed to color inside the lines.

No comments: