Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Green Horror

I thought I'd do a "just for fun post".

I'd like to tell you, about Ron and the green recliner.  It's ironic, really, because it looks like pea green is making a comeback in home furnishings.

I used to live in a town of 70 thousand souls, in Northern CA, not far from San Francisco.  We lived in a terrible neighborhood, but it was perfect for someone without a car.  Everything, and I mean everything, was within walking distance.  Hospital, drug store, transit center, college campus satellite, library, post office, and of course the thrift store.

Ron and I took a long time to acquire furniture.  We had a dining room table and a couple of plastic chairs, in our apartment, for a few years.  One day I noticed Saver's, the thrift store, had a lot of recliners for sale.  I checked the prices.  They all ran about $20.  We could do that.

I mentioned it to Ron.  He said he could get a friend to help us get a recliner home.  Off we went to the thrift store.  We used to walk everywhere.

We entered the store, and I had a look at the recliners.  They were all pretty much neutral colors, in "decent used" condition.  They weren't perfect but I'd sit in them.

I saw one horror, off at the end.  A recliner: it had vinyl, pea-green, arms and footrest.  The seat and back were a terrifying cloth plaid of olive green, cream, and pea green.  I went over and tried to raise the footrest; it didn't work.  Praise God.  I took another look and told Ron:

"Pick out whichever one you like."  He took his white cane and began tapping his way down the line of chairs.

I went shopping.  Savers was great when I was manic.  For $10 I could get all kinds of stuff.  I made my selections, and to my horror, saw Ron comfortably seated in the green horror, with the footrest elevated.

NO!  I ran downstairs, to Ron.

"Heather, it's great, isn't it?  It's so comfortable!  And I fixed the footrest!"  My heart sank.  The store clerk came over, smirking.

"I even bought it!  The clerk gave me a discount!"  I bet he did.  The clerk grinned.

"So, we can take it home, whenever.  It's OK, right?  You said they were all OK."

"Well, Ron, uh..." I began, as the clerk smirked again and pointed at a sign that said "No refunds or exchanges".

"It's fine".  AAAAH!

So, we took the green horror home and set it up in the living room.  I tried to cover it with an afghan, but Ron decreed it "too lumpy".

God forgive me, but I used to encourage the cats to claw it, when Ron wasn't around.  We had that thing for years.  Oh, it was awful.  It was like a migraine in my living room.

I can just see the clerk, talking to his co-workers "I sold it to a blind man".

[snicker]