Saturday, October 13, 2012

I'm done reading anything but the Bible

I am done reading anything about evangelism, the "Christian Life", or what God really meant in the Bible.  I'm done.  

Why, you might ask?  Oh, various things.  

One book was very derisive toward "evangelicals" and cast dirt on everything we did.  I think the thing I found most offensive was his referring to the group, "Audio Adrenaline", as "punk rock".  Really?   You can do a You Tube search and see for yourself.  I have "Get Down" on my playlist.  

One book told me I should, never, ever, ask God for anything "If it's Your will".  Oh, really?  Let's have a look at what Jesus thought:  

Mark 14:35-37

New King James Version (NKJV)
35 He went a little farther, and fell on the ground, and prayed that if it were possible, the hour might pass from Him. 36 And He said, “Abba, Father, all things are possible for You. Take this cup away from Me; nevertheless, not what I will, but what You will.

Hm.  So, this guy wants me to do just the opposite of what Jesus did?  Not to mention, he sounded like he thought God was some kind of "mark" who could be conned if I said the right thing.  VERY offensive.  

Some books, I felt literally sick the minute I picked them up, then I found out later they had teachings contradictory to scripture.  I'm not going there.  

Now, James 1:5 says, if we ask God, He will give us wisdom.  So, I do.  I feel I don't measure up to normal on some areas, so I definitely ask God for help in understanding His word.  

And, as I've come along, I've realized, if I want to learn about God, I'm really better off sticking with just the Bible.  

No comments: