Friday, October 19, 2012

Blind Man Stand

What's up:

Well, Ron is in the State of Texas Blind Vendor program.  My Dad calls it "The Blind Man Stand".  Basically, the state provides the equipment, we provide the inventory.  We are semi-self employed, with oversight - the supervisors can tell us what do to, or compel us to attend a mandatory conference.

You can see a photo of "my" machines in the slideshow to your right.  I basically assist Ron and manage snacks and sodas.  Ron manages bottled sodas, food, and we share the coffee machine.

The State has about 121 blind vendors.  We are "one" of them.  Most of the vendors are men.  Mainly, I think, because a blind woman tends to go for the medical transcription work, or be supported by a husband.  A woman would also need a strong, able, helper to drive her a around, that is typically a husband, and he typically has his own job.

The blind vendor needs a heavy-lifting helper.  For Ron, that's me.  However, I don't drive, which is a big hassle for both of us.  The other vendors have DRIVING helpers.  Ron does not.  We manage - I'm not whining about that.  Unless you can get a time machine and tell my mother not to drink!  [laugh]

So, sales are very bad all over.  Morale is very low.  The state is refusing to pay some expenses, ones they have paid in the past.  They are requiring us to pay more fees.  The vendors are not happy.

Which, is why I believe they are having this conference this weekend, in Austin.  We have a ride, from the other blind vendor at work.  He and his wife have "bad backs" so I will do the lifting of the wheelchair and stuffing it into the SUV.  Even with 3 times our machines, they are still having problems.

We'll go to Austin.  Today will probably the mutiny over the State's refusal to pay us for repairs.  We told the other vendor and got out of the way.  They are so furious over this policy, we don't need to do anything.  And they can hire a lawyer, if needed.

The blind managers, managers (called ECM's) will have a party with drinking this afternoon, at someone's house.  Ron and I are not attending.

We eat the food we brought and hang out in our hotel, going to bed early.  Tomorrow we "register" for the conference, attend a mandatory trade show ( ROFL! like we have money for inventory!), and classes on "How to repair a machine".  Ron said "You could teach that, Heather."  Yes, I could.  Anyway, a couple hours of that and it's all over.

Except for the dinner, which we are not required to attend.  Two courses, chicken or fish.  I hate both.  Ron's meal is free, mine is $35.   Then, party with drinking and dancing after.  They mentioned drinking 3 times when they got to that part of the letter.

We will skip that.  Then, the other vendor will give us a ride home on Sunday morning.  We don't make it to church, but we're home at last.

That's how my weekend is looking.  Oh, and I started my cycle with horrendous cramps, so I have to be really careful I don't bleed all over the hotel sheets.  DOH!

I will do my best to make this a good weekend.

No comments: