Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Brown eyed girl

I am battling a vicious depression, hiding in the house, waiting for Ron to finish some accounting work before we file the report.  I can sit here and brood, or I can focus on happier things.

Did you know, brown-eyed cats used to creep me out?  They just gave me the chills.  I liked yellow eyes, green eyes, and blue eyes, but the brown eyed cats made me shudder.

Until, of course, Ron presented me with a screaming tabby fur ball with brown eyes.  The poor little thing was terrified and starving, not scary at all.

As you know, I was very resistant.  I didn't want more litter duty.  I didn't want a little pest attacking me at night.  I felt I didn't have the patience or the energy level to deal with a kitten.  I didn't want her bothering Bubba.

I told Ron, I had 3 rules:  She had to let me sleep.  She had to use the box.  She had to be nice to Bubba.

We're still working on #3.   Bubba finds her existence annoying, but I don't hear a lot of unhappy language.  His body language seems OK and he greets her.  They basically smell each other's noses.  I find that positive.  He doesn't hate her, and she is trying out various boundaries.  Bubba's old, but he can still smack her if needed.

Ron does a good job of helping her play, so it's not just my job.  She is slowing down a little, not as manic, so I'm hopeful she will become a sweet, normal, adult cat.

I'm just not a big fan of kittens.  I know a lot of people are just the opposite, they love kittens, but don't care as much about adult cats.

I love to sleep with a well behaved cat.  Bubba will, on occasion, stretch out on my right side, at the edge of the bed, and sleep with me.  I love it.  He never stays for long, but it means a lot.

Last night, I was awakened by a small meow and the sound of something climbing my bed.  I said Hello, petted Baby Girl, and patted the "good spot" on my bed.

I tend to toss and turn, so a cat needs to sleep at a higher position.  Otherwise I'll roll over and mash it.  I had a horrible squeak last month.

To my surprise, she settled right down, purring, and as far as I can tell, spent the entire night in my bed. It was great.  I'd roll over, feel her position so I wouldn't mash her, and pet her briefly.  She'd start the purr motor and stretch, then we'd both go back to sleep.

My little brown eyed girl is a real sweetheart.

No comments: