Sunday, October 28, 2012

I'll take all the prayer I can get

Someone got saved at church today.  I love that.

I never attended a church with a salvation message.  They just preached, gave a benediction (bow your head, now), and sent you on your way.

The pastor wore these nifty robes, with a stole.  That was "my" church, Presbyterian.  We sang a lot of "old" hymns, had an organ, etc.  Everyone wore fancy clothes.

We had coffee and punch after church, along with pastries or cake.  One day, after church, I almost choked to death on a piece of hard candy.  A parishioner had to give me the Heimlich maneuver.

After that, they got rid of the candy bowl.  

Everyone was always very friendly and kind.  They would make a point of asking me how I was doing, and meaning it.  They really cared as I went on about my pet parakeet or whatever.  I found it very warming.

I remember one time the pastor preached on the passage in James about welcoming the poor man, as you'd welcome the rich.  It was very uncomfortable.

This is probably a good time to mention, I grew up in an affluent neighborhood.  Let's put it this way.  Ron and I own a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom, plus study and attached garage.  It's valued around $60K.  My childhood home, no garage, 3 bedroom, 1 bath, is valued much higher.  

The house in CA?  Sold for over [whistles].  Of course, you have insane property values in California, one very major reason I moved to Texas.  I also prefer the weather.  Existing mortgage, etc.

Anyway, I did not grow up poor.  I never saw myself as "rich" because we didn't have "help" and the rich people on TV always had "help".  Mom did all the housework, laundry, etc, herself.  Well, we all had chores.

One day I'll do a blog on chores.  I have a lot more as an adult than I did as a child!  I wish I could go back and tell myself to enjoy it!

So, we always went to "good" churches.  The doctrine was pretty sound, but they mainly taught the soft subjects, God loves us, etc.  Very little about sin and repentance.

They'd preach on various subjects, and supplement with anecdotes and Bible verses, in that order.  I have to say, when I left home, I wasn't in a big hurry to find another church.

Mainly, of course, due to the fact I was living a sinful lifestyle!  One day I got up my nerve and went to a church, only to find it was the Spanish service.  I left very quickly.

Fast forward to this year, finally found a good church.  Ron even wants to attend.

The church, in my aspects, is very unlike any other church I've attended.  They play rock music, not hymns.  Surprisingly, I thought, Ron loves the music.  I thought for sure that would be a problem for him.

Ron's only issue is people who clap out of rhythm.  He finds it a little annoying.  Then, of course, he had to deal with my singing - tone deaf.  It's pretty bad.

The people are very warm and welcoming.  It is common to see people hugging and praying.  I like that.   It's very much come-as-you-are.  I see a lot of shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops during the summer time.  Today, I saw another woman wearing a hooded sweatshirt.

Most of the people at the church make far more money than us.  They all have families.  Ron and I are a little out of place in that regard, but people care.

I can't tell you how important it is to find a church where they care; and teach the Bible.  In my church, I do hear about sin.  I hear about pride.  I hear about repentance.  I hear, constantly, "Take it to God".  I am taught about a loving God, who is also just.  A God who will soon me taking us in the rapture.

Yup, I know I lost a few of you there; but it's true.

As I got up this morning, highly depressed, I wondered if I'd get anything out of church.  I did.

For one, God uses my depressions to teach me humility and dependence on him.  I think any of my readers would say I could use some help on humility.  I was able to give someone a good referral on Scripture booklets for his mission trip.  Someone got to give us a ride to and from.  I got a hug and some prayer from the pastor, when I told him about my Halloween candy handout (with scripture booklets), and my depression.

I'll take all the prayer I can get.

No comments: