Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Well, crap

Last night I went to bed, exhausted.  I lay there thinking, like people do, going over my day.  And I realized I could not recall taking my medication. 

Well, crap.  I got up, spit out my mint (I always have a sugarfree mint in my mouth at night, due to severe dry mouth), and checked my pills of the week.  Nope, I had not.  Well, crap.  I got out the pudding and ate some, took my pills, ate a little more.  I drank some water and went back to bed. 

I did get to sleep in today, until 7.  That was nice.  I got up, ate, took my pills, shower, etc.  Ron and I went to Walmart.  He was a little irritable but not too bad. 

We got his medication.  He remarked it was so easy.  I told him, if you feel that way call the doctor's office and thank them.  They are the ones making it easy.  He agreed and did it. 

Not many things he will do when I suggest, right away.  Normally he takes some time to come around to it. 

We went home, I put everything away. 

I should probably talk about the cat treats here.  As you know, I have had a problem with Baby Girl (the brown tabby with black spots) attacking Torbie (the tortie-tabby).  Every time she ate catnip treats she went wild, attacking poor Torbie.  I finally convinced Ron to feed different treats.  Sure enough, BG did not get vicious. 

So we are eliminating the catnip treats and doing various fishy things instead.  Currently I have some Walmart brand tuna treats, and some Temptations Surfer treats.  Ron fed the Surfer treats to the girls, both of them liked them tremendously and no vicious behavior. 

"She was under the influence" I told Ron.  He agreed.  Easy enough to fix. 

Ron was ready now, to go to the computer guy.  You may have lost track.  At this point Ron had all new hardware but his talking computer program was not working.  So we went to the computer guy (brought the credit card).  The talking computer company does not support XP as a platform anyway, so, first, we had to upgrade.  We went to Windows 7.  Then we had to download the software and get it authenticated (that's where we used the credit card).  It involved opening my email on the computer, not real crazy about that but it was coming home with us.  More software stuff I didn't understand.  It is talking. 

Shut up, computer.  But at least it is talking, Ron needs that (normally Ron uses headphones when he is on the talking computer). 

But it's a new OS and a new voice.  Here is an example.  Ron was using version 4.  They are up to version 20, now.  Ron, understandably, had some trouble with it.  A lot of trouble. 

Well, crap (saying that a lot today).  Now Ron has to learn a new OS and a new voice, fast.  I told him to call the blind computer lady.  She is not blind, she just works with people who have talking computers.  Hopefully she can teach him the basics, quickly.  Ron's tremendously bright (except for drinking) so I have faith in him. 

I did tease him about not taking the pain pills around the computer.  We have both noticed they don't let him work at his best.  I don't like to name-call so I will just say that. 

So, he called someone and left a message.  Then he called a state agency that helps people with disabilities get, and stay, employed.  The latter certainly applies to Ron right now, he needs to "stay".  He talked to a very nice woman and did an intake.  Hopefully we can get the agency to pay for classes for Ron to get up to speed on the computer. 

He has not asked for anything in over 15 years.  It's perfectly reasonable.  Some blind guys ask for laptops, etc.  Ron doesn't want that, just some classes or at the very least a referral to someone who can help him. 

It took between 3-4 hours.  It was a long and exhausting day.  I have forgotten just how awful it is to try to get Ron's computer set up and talking.  Awful.  And this was with help. 

And me taking my medication.  I still got a little irritable at the end and basically cracked the whip at Ron a few times, chiding him to hurry up and figure it out already so we could get it done.  I apologized to him, later. 

He did apologize to me (first) for putting me through all that.  He is sitting in the kitchen, drinking, right now.  I almost wish I could drink.  But I would never, too many risk factors and I just have never met someone I thought was "better" when drunk. 

I am listening to For King and Country playlists and getting ready to go to bed.  That's right, tomorrow we get up at 2 AM to go get our soda delivery! 

Crap! 

No comments: