Thursday, December 27, 2018

It may seem funny...

I was watching a commercial on TV, a woman was teaching her daughter how to play piano.  It struck a cord with me for a couple of reasons. 

One, my mother was a talented concert pianist.  Second, towards the end she had very bad arthritis in her hands, and the commercial was for arthritis medication. 

It got me thinking, so many in my family, on my mother's side, have all these artistic talents.  Draw, sing, play instruments, etc.  I write, which isn't bad, but I've never been able to play a song for Ron. 

You have to admit, it would be cool if I could whip out my instrument, sing and play 'I hate myself for loving you" by Joan Jett - OK, now I need a link. 

https://youtu.be/KjrWw0h1qeo When Ron is being a jerk - it would be great! 

But, alas, I inherited my Dad's singing "ability".  My mother was mentally ill and a musician, so I think Dad & company were never able to shake the concern that if they got me into music it might "break" me.  So, no music lessons. 

My stepsister had very brief violin lessons, and she was so bad my Dad made her stop.  My stepbrother had saxophone lessons.  I was given a keyboard for Christmas one year when I was about 16-17, but no lessons.  Someone sabotaged it, I believe my stepbrother, and it was inoperable after that.   I did enjoy playing my radio!  :p 

I was in choir for a while but everyone was always correcting me, it made me very self conscious.  I never enjoyed singing after that - I always felt like people were appraising and judging me. 

Art?  Not really.  I did OK with craft type things.  Every Christmas I remember how much I enjoyed a little loom set I was given one Christmas.  I had so much fun making things with that.  More than the makeup set, dress up clothes, dolls, etc. 

I did learn to crochet when I was 8, did the hell out of that.  I learned to knit in 2006, when I was 32.  One reason I did the blog title.  I was so manic when I set up the blog I look at the title sometimes and go "Why?"  But there it is.  I made a lot of hats, scarves, blankets, and some fingerless gloves. 

But an artist?  No, I don't see myself as one.  Maybe a crafter when I am actually working on something.  A gardener, when I have a garden.  Soapmaking, people LOVED my soaps.  I had some GOOD vegetable gardens.  I remember one time I went outside and all my marigolds were gone.  I couldn't figure it out.  I got up on the plant beds and saw the marigold greens, but the flower had gone.  Frosty, the white cat, walked up on one poor marigold that still had a flower and ate it clean off!  I shot him with my water hose, and he never did it again.  Bad kitty!  He also liked to heap mulch up over plants, smothering them. 

He wasn't a very good helper!  :p 

I do write.  Hopefully I do a good job, some people have told me I do.  I take care with it and proof before I publish.  Rarely I still miss a typo or bad grammar mistake. 

So, not an artist or musician, like my mother.  She went to college.  So did I.  My sister never talked about her graduating so I assume she dropped out like I did. 

I have a long history, on both sides, of college graduates, I have a (see if I can spell this without Google) mathematician - ha!  Got it!  Accountant, librarian, engineer and that's just the ones I know.  I majored in accounting but got a D in Managerial Accounting.  To that point, I had been getting a 3.2 GPA.  Admittedly, I have brain damage.  I also had unmanaged, undiagnosed, bipolar disorder.  Considering all that I think I did alright. 

But when I got to Houston I did not enroll in community college.  I was too busy earning a living and helping the business! 

Where am I going?  I'm not sure.  It may seem odd, but I do compare myself to my mother at times, she was an artist.  Compare myself to other family members, they were all college graduates and accredited in their fields.  I have a GED. 

Ouch. 

But I know I "shouldn't" compare. 

Sometimes I still do. 

No comments: