Friday, December 28, 2018

An animal of mine will not suffer

I was on Facebook and reading my newsfeed.  I saw an ad for pet insurance.  From what I understand, mine are too old to qualify, Biscuit might but he is so fat they would probably reject him.  He's like a 500 pound man. 

Anyway, they had one "uplifting" story of this poor cat that got in an accident, many, major, injuries and a long recovery.  Then pet insurance "reimbursed" the owner for the expenses. 

What about the poor cat?  Maybe it didn't want to survive the injuries.  Just because an animal can take a lot of pain doesn't mean it should have to do so.  I know Torbie has some arthritis, and I worry about her a lot.  I have tried getting her Glucosamine but she won't take it. 

I worry she may be hurting, but she gets around OK once she does her "Warmup".  If you have ever had an elderly cat you know what I'm talking about.  She jumps on and off the bed.  She runs (slowly) for treats.  She can dart into the garage or out the front door pretty quick if she's feeling naughty! 

But there will come a time when she is sick and in pain.  And I am not going to do everything for her.  I am going to do what seems fair, and humane.  If that doesn't work and the prognosis is grim I am going to make the final decision. 

I have done it before, it wasn't easy but I knew I had done the right thing.  An animal of mine will not suffer. 

No comments: