Sunday, December 9, 2018

Ron's petting the wrong cat

I think I forgot to mention that Ron's computer died again. 

We will have to take it to the shop on Monday, after his doctor appointment, which will be after work.  Monday's going to be a long day. 

I'm glad I still have some (Diet) Mountain Dew left for Monday. 

#19 (Two old ladies own the house, but their college age kids come home a lot during December, and play loud music on their car stereos while leaving the front door open) was up to their usual antics.  I don't know if Ron called the police or not, but they shut it down after about 45 minutes.  I think it was too cold for them to leave the door open.  I have actually walked over there, found the door open, horrible smell coming out of the house - stale and dead, and asked them to please turn it down, I could hear the music 2 blocks away.  She laughed at me and went back in the house.  He heard me and turned it up.  So I am not a big fan of their antics. 

The way I see it, the neighborhood is a precarious balance.  Right now, nearly everyone is quiet and respectful.  But add a couple of creeps to the mix, playing their loud music and disturbing everyone.  Soon others think "I can do that too" and you have an epidemic.  I have seen that with #6 and #8. 

#6 owns, #8 rented.  They have since moved out.  But #6 had some very loud parties, particularly one at Christmas eve, which is apparently a Mexican tradition.  Here's a hint, you live in Houston, TX, USA now, NOT Mexico.  After several of these loud parties, #8 started having their own loud parties.  Then #6 dialed back on their parties - didn't like being served their own medicine "We are the only ones who get to have a loud party", and eventually #8 slowed down as well, and eventually moved out. 

Some people call it the broken window syndrome, if you see broken windows around a neighborhood, the crime rate is going to go up.  I see it as, you have one loud "neighbor" and let him go unchallenged, pretty soon you will have hundreds of loud neighbors, each thinking they are entitled to a loud night. 

That is why Ron called the police on #10 (renters who just moved in) the day they were playing loud R&B from a car in their driveway as they went in and out of the house.  I wouldn't have minded music in general, but it was very loud and we live a ways off.  They got the message: no loud music, and they have not done it again.  If you want to live in a neighborhood with loud music you will need to move. 

The thing with playing loud music (I am listening to music right now, but you can't even hear it in the next room), is that it's not just you.  I play loud music, my neighbors suffer for it.  Then they get their revenge by playing their music loud and everyone suffers for it. 

That went a lot longer than I planned.  Anyway, after they shut if off Torbie got in her house, on my bed, and Biscuit laid down on my leg.  I love it when they sleep with me. 

I had a pretty good night of sleep but woke up with a nasty headache around 9.  I took some Excedrin for it and it did a good job.  I got online for a while, watched a little TV (Christmas movies), took a shower with my peppermint soap and shampoo.  I am very pleased the whole combo for soap and shampoo was about $8. 

Ron is still asleep so he seems to have been up all night.  At least he was quiet.  Baby Girl was sleeping with him, last I saw. 

Ron gets very upset when Torbie joins him in bed, he is convinced she is "running off" Baby Girl.  The truth is that Baby Girl is a very finicky cat who sleeps with Ron when she feels like it, not when Ron wants her.  He would be better off enjoying Torbie when she visits, because she comes a lot more often than Baby Girl!  But BG did get into bed with him at some point and he will be happy to find her when he gets up.   If she leaves before he wakes, I will tell him. 

If BG were human, I would say her and Ron need therapy.  But BG seems happy overall so I'm not worried.  Torbie is pretty rugged, she accepts it when Ron pushes her out of bed and will come find me for affection.  I think Ron's petting the wrong cat! 

I have also seen, on several occasions, both cats lying in Ron's bed companionably.  They get along fine unless BG gets too many catnip treats, then BG becomes aggressive and attacks Torbie.  I bought some alternative treats without catnip and both girls enjoy them, so plan to switch them. 

I am going to go bag up candy for a while and then take a nap (hopefully with a cat).  Tomorrow is going to be very busy. 

I am always embarrassed (and I won't tell him because he would use it against me) when Ron mentions me needing a nap, when we are in public.  Babies need naps.  An adult "should" be able to function without one.  I did for many years.  Then the medication - that nap looks real good, when I get it.  But he always asks me if I need a nap the next day when we are planning a trip.  I believe it is done out of a root concern for me, but it is embarrassing when it comes up in front of someone else. 

The honest truth is I will do what needs doing.  If that means I don't get a nap, I don't.  I didn't all the time Ron was in the hospital with blood clots, and I did OK.  I did catch a cold but I was in a hospital for hours a day.  I do what I must. 

Oh, I sound like such a frigging martyr.  I hope you know what I mean.  Sometimes I don't have a choice, like I have to take Ron to work, the pain doc, and the computer guy tomorrow.  Any one of those is essential.  If that means I am running around later than I'd like, I'll still do it. 

At least there is a deli next to the computer guy. 


No comments: