Saturday, December 1, 2018

I finally got the ball rolling, on Christmas

A busy day. 

I got up early, got ready, got Ron ready.  I talked to Ron and he agreed to help me take my bag of Christmas stuff to work today.  That was significant because it would first have to go to the warehouse. 

We went out, it was a big van today.  She had just come back to work after a car accident (she was the passenger in a personal vehicle, the driver was at fault). 

We got to the warehouse and I parked Ron.  He gave me money for supplies.  I grabbed a flatbed cart and went to it.  I got everything on the list - Ron does a good job sending the the list in a text. 

I got "his" stuff and then I got "my" stuff.  I forgot to get the Hershey Almond.  Oops.  I got everything else, though, even the Pop Tarts, which are way off in another corner of the food, away from the vending supplies. 

I paid.  I had exactly enough left to pay Jack.  I went to Ron.  He wanted pizza so I bought him some.  He picked at it.  I ate a muffin. 

I went to the desk and asked about putting my aunt on our account.  I trust her not to use the "tax exempt" option but it will be more complicated than I thought. 

Jack came.  We got the truck loaded and went to work.  Police all over the place at work but no "activity" - just being present, and obvious.  That will only make the bad guys nervous. 

We got the truck unloaded.  I pretty much went straight to our accountability readings.  We need to take them every month - it's like an odometer for sales.  So I got all of them (eight different machines) and gave the recorder to Ron. 

Ron finds his digital recorder to be very important, especially in running the business. 

Then I helped him stock.  I helped him do his work and focused on putting my stuff away.  A postal worker caught me decorating the vending machines and said something approving.  They were really happy when I got the lights going on his wheelchair. 

So I got festive.  I also wore a headband with antlers, which proved popular with everyone.  They didn't work for Ron, his bald head didn't provide much traction, but I had plenty of hair to hold it in place.  It did prove difficult when I was stocking, though.  I bend forward at the waist, a lot, apparently. 

We also helped new hires with change and vending purchases.  They generally put the most money into the machines so it is important to make them feel welcome.  Even old-timers who always bring their own lunch, were buying snacks and drinks. 

It's Christmas.  It would be hard to be in a line of work where sales went down dramatically during Christmas.  Happily that is not the case. 

We finally left and had a good ride home.  The driver liked cats and loved hearing about them. 

We went in the house, Ron started drinking.  I got the pizza box and ate some leftovers, then took my pills and laid down for a nap. 

That worked for a little while, but, pretty soon, the #6 kids all ran outside to play.  The problem is that their father has built up so much of the the yard.  The only place for them left to play is right next to my bedroom wall. 

The older kids were pretty quiet, but the little girl is very loud.  She is always screaming, every time I hear her.  I guess it comes with having 5 older siblings.  You have to scream, to be heard. 

I figured, accurately as it turns out, they would only be at it for a half hour or so.  Typically that is the pattern when they play outside.  Sure enough, I was right.  They all went off to go live their lives somewhere else. 

I got a little more nap and then got up.  I had what was trying to be a headache.  I went ahead and took something.  My allergies have been pretty bad lately, so I took some Vitamin C with it. 

I got up and worked on the computer for a while, Ron got up, we talked.  I called my parents. 

I can do my shopping now.  I have addresses.  I will, most likely, make an accommodation to the depression and just have the gifts shopped direct to the recipient.  It will be a lot easier than having it shipped here, and then shipping out again.  Less money for the Post Office, so I guess I am ungrateful - but it will work a lot better with the energy level I have with the depression. 

I'm going to go check out office programs so I can start doing spreadsheets on this computer.  I want freeware, I want something legal, something that is compatible with Ron's software (which is old). 

A tech friend suggested Libre Office.  My computer guy suggested Open Office.  I used to use Star Office.  I am running Windows 7 so it will have to get along with that.  It will keep me busy. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Google sheets is a good alternative to excel. Everything autosaves in your google account.

Spankadoo said...

I put some lights up and a wreath let the festivities begin! Glad to see you doing something to make yourself joyful!

Heather Knits said...

Thanks for the Google tip. I have a Google account (had to, to get the blog) so that could prove useful. Might not use it for sensitive info but for something like an inventory spreadsheet it could be useful.

Spank, I don't dare do the tree with 3 cats, but I decorate Ron's wheelchair and have fun with that.