Saturday, December 22, 2018

A silent night after all

Well, it looks like I was wrong about the party.  I am certain they are still having the one on Monday night, but not tonight.  Today was apparently "little kids run loose in the yard while older kids decorate the house".  That's, like, the first time I have EVER seen those kids do chores. 

I slept last night but not great.  I got up and fed the cats, took my shower, etc.  Got dressed and made sure Ron looked OK. 

We went to the warehouse.  We would later have the same driver, again, for a later trip. 

I bought the supplies, still no Sprite, and Jack took us to work.  We got everything in the building. 

I will admit more of my day was devoted to putting things away/helping Ron.  But we did it. 

We went outside to go home and the ride was late, but someone we knew.  I had to ride in the back seat (not my favorite) but it was otherwise uneventful. 

We got home and I put Ron in the house.  The kids from next door (#6) were running around and screaming, it was unusual.  I tried to lay down for a nap but it was impossible with the racket.  I still stayed resting until my alarm went off. 

The little kids were running around like someone gave them an IV full of sugar, while the two older boys were working on something.  As it turns out, Christmas lights. 

Our ride (same driver as before) came early, and the little kids were running dangerously close to the idling cab, through my driveway, all over the front of my property. 

I don't see why it is so hard for them to understand: my yard is not your playground.  I gave the father permission, years ago, for "my kid to get his ball" unquote.  Not for large packs of children to make my yard their playground.  As it is, I am sorry I gave any permission.  I revoked it when I realized we had a problem, back in 2011, but kids who weren't even born then still continue to treat my property as a public commons. 

Two things I was taught as a child: stay on your own property, don't trespass.  Second lesson: don't play in the street. 

The first was taught to me as a rule of respecting one's neighbors.  Don't go on their property.  I was actually spanked once for breaking this rule. 

Second rule was always about my protection, don't play in the street, or you might get hit, badly injured, and possibly killed. 

The adults in #6 have truly failed to teach these two lessons.  So the kids were in danger, according to the driver, who felt very upset and concerned about the children just running wild in a driveway not their own, playing near a running vehicle.  She had a few words for me when we came out.  I told her I have talked to the parents, but they don't give a crap. 

We went to Chilis.  Ron's choice.  The parking lot was packed, and the restaurant was very busy, but room for more customers.  Ron was mopey and negative.  Said he wasn't even hungry, he was just accommodating your stomach.  I hate it when he goes on like that.  He sets up a trip and then when I go along he acts like I demanded it.  I did not.  He's the one who told me. 

Besides, neither of us wanted to be home with those feral children. 

I read Ron some selections, he wanted the fries topped with chili.  Messy but "small".  I got a chili burger.  It took a while for the food to come out. 

In the meantime, I had two women behind me.  One of them was sitting close to my back, but not directly behind me.  She complained about her (alcohol) drink and sent it back.  Constant complaints the whole time I sat there. 

In the meantime, the restaurant is busy and music's playing.  It's mainly 70's and 80's music.  Some R&B comes on the speakers.  Ron complains about it, says no one has ever heard of the song or the artist, he only likes top 40, and then makes a racial comment. 

The women behind me happened to fall in that category.  I half expected one of them to get up and confront him, but they did not.  Instead, the woman behind me waits a minute or two, then gives my hair a sharp yank.  It felt like she reached up and grabbed my entire ponytail, giving it a sharp tug.  It was pretty painful, but I didn't react because I figured she was trying to provoke a confrontation.  She had already proven to be a chronic complainer, not happy with anything in the restaurant, even thought they both ate ALL their food and ordered a dessert.  But not before demanding to see the manager and telling him what a terrible time she had.  No one mentioned Ron's comments, so, I hope no one heard it, but I heard everything they said so it's unlikely.  At any rate she didn't complain about Ron's comment. 

I did move my hair and place it inside my hoodie, so she couldn't "get" it again.  She kept moving around but my hair was now "safe".  I will need to start putting it inside my shirt when I sit down at a restaurant, so people can't "accidentally" yank on it. 

We ate and paid.  Ron did not get any food on his clothes, but I did.  I thought that was funny. 

There were a couple of the usual hungry toddlers having massive tantrums.  Not cute at all.  10 minutes with one of them and I want to get sterilized.  It got to be a little much so I took him outside. 

We waited for a while.  It was starting to get cool but not too bad.  Ron wondered aloud where the sun had gone, I told him it had set.  He wasn't happy about that.  But our ride came eventually and he was a very nice guy. 

We got home and I got Ron in the house, then checked the mail (some cards).  I saw the Christmas lights on next door and just the two vehicles in the driveway.  I waited an hour before I actually said "They're not having a party" but it seems pretty clear I get a silent night after all. 

Then I fed the cats again and called my parents.  I may go to the pet store tomorrow, I will see how I feel in the morning. 

That's it for now.  Have a good weekend. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love your Christmasy themed titles this week! Very creative. Have a Merry Christmas Heather.

Heather Knits said...

I didn't plan the titles that way, to be honest. Just kind of happened.

Had a good night sleeping with 2 cats, Torbie in her little house, Biscuit in the bed, good times. The advil helped with dental pain so my tooth didn't wake me up.