Sunday, December 30, 2018

Frustrated

So I thought Ron would have learned his lesson about drinking to excess.  Having just had an ugly blackout yesterday. 

Tonight, after I got up from a failed nap, he went into the kitchen and began drinking.  I don't keep track of what he is drinking because 1.  It's a game and 2.  It is his job to keep track of what he is doing.  I don't play games.  So, he was in the kitchen talking to me. 

He got a little emotional over Baby Girl but he does that, sometimes.  I was teasing him, telling him, when she dies, Chuck and I will take him to the county animal shelter for "another".  He said OK and went back to petting Baby Girl. 

I fed them dinner and she ate some, then "buried" it (she likes to cover her food).  Ron went to bed.  And I heard him shouting. 

So I went back.  He was so drunk he couldn't get into bed.  I helped him make a position change and he said he was good.  I barely got back to my chair before he shouted for me again.  He was about to fall. 

I managed to haul him up and get him into bed, swinging his legs up onto the mattress so he couldn't fall (if he does, it took some work).  He thanked me profusely, I told him not to move, and I left.  He is still in bed. 

But, it's like he can't learn anything from his past behaviors.  He has no portion control button.  That part of his brain is just utterly fried.  But take something like the Tylenol.  He was able to take it properly, at regular intervals, not too close together.  He never, to my knowledge, took too many.  But when it comes to alcohol there is no limit. 

The only limit is when he's passed out on the floor.  It's sad and very frustrating. 

I tell you this, I will not be wrecking my back for Ron.  If it comes to hurting myself or leaving him on the floor, he's staying on the floor. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would you agree to get this man another cat? What is wrong with you? Do you think it is fair for the animals to live with a drunken, raving, lunatic? You made your choice, they have no choice.

Anonymous said...

Yes please don;t injure yourself helping him. Back injuries as Ron knows and yo do are the worst and most immobilizing.

Heather Knits said...

I am very careful with my lifts and using my leg and butt muscles to do the lifting.

About the cat: it is better than being put down. Overall they live a very pampered life. The worst thing he has done to a cat is accidentally run over Torbie in his wheelchair, before she knew he was blind (she gets out of the way now), and sat on Baby Girl one day when he transferred from bed to wheelchair. And he gives them a lot of treats. Not a bad life.

Ron would be an absolute wreck if something happened to any of the cats and would require some consolation. Our shelter has a - let me find out - "only" 81% in 2017. Line up 10 animals in your head. Over 8 of them die. Or they could go live with Ron and see him fall on the floor. Seems like a no brainer to me.

Heather Knits said...

Ooops! Wrong, didn't read it right. 20% kill rate, not 80%. Still pretty high. And we would most likely take the "undesirable" old, black, or "different" cat that would be put down anyway.

I'm not getting any until someone dies, though, my bed is crowded enough at night!