Sunday, July 21, 2019

Intractable pain (his)

Normally Ron's pain is pretty well controlled.  He has his prescription and he will occasionally ask me for Kratom in a strained voice, I give it to him, he gets relief.  Sometimes I hear him murmuring in pain and I offer the Kratom.  He gets relief. 

Last night I kept giving him Kratom and he kept screaming in pain.  It was horrible.  You don't even want to hear anyone like that.  I tried to remind myself of all the asshole things he has done and that helped a little.   I just told Ron about that and he laughed and told me he loved me. 

So, horrible.  I finally got enough Kratom in him to reduce the screaming, it tapered off for a few hours then started up again.  Red Elephant seemed to be working the best (we were given a sample) so I gave him a gram of that in the middle of the night, he had a drink (ginger ale) out of his fridge.  We went back to bed, he was quiet and we both slept. 

I got up at 7, fed the inside cats, put on my bathrobe and went out to feed the outside cats.  Last night I had been petting Mama when she put her back up and went into an aggressive posture.  I looked and a medium sized dog was approaching, some sort of foo-foo breed, it had been groomed (fur trimmed) recently but was dirty.  It wasn't aggressive but it wanted the food and water.  I ran it off, Cleo helped, tiny little thing put her back up and hissed at the dog.  It tried to come back but I shooed it off again.  I have enough rescues on my hands. 

The cats calmed down after that, I gave Mama more petting and Spot let me touch the top of his head while he ate.  That one's a big eater.  He's going to be huge. 

This morning I didn't see them on the porch and I worried about them, but Mama and the kittens came from different directions, they apparently roam pretty far.  Mama came right up for petting and food, the kittens were a little slower.  Spot almost gave me a heart attack when he stopped to investigate a road kill in the middle of our street. 

Get out of the street!  I need to get them in the house. 

I need to get more kratom.  I need to get the mother vetted and checked for FLV.  Then I can get the cats inside the house.  I have some money saved to get a dental filling and some new glasses, I need to do that as well. 

We see the pain doctor on Monday, I will have to remind Ron to drink a lot of water. 

I went to check on Ron, he was awake so I asked him how he was doing (clearly not screaming in pain).  He said he felt great and I said lets get a big shot of kratom into you and make sure the pain does not come back.  He was OK with that.  I don't have a lot of Red Elephant capsules and I didn't want to use them all up - I wanted to give him one big shot.  So I decided to use the powder. 

We got an ounce of powder with one order, Red Elephant.  It didn't help with my migraines but it works great on Ron. 

I had the orange juice bottles (I got them delivered, little 10 ounce bottles) delivered a while back for a time like this.  I took a drink off the orange juice and then measured some kratom into the bottle and shook vigorously.  That worked pretty well.  I shook and shook. 

I took it to Ron when it appeared well blended and he chugged it.  I reminded him if he can chug rotgut generic brand vodka straight from the bottle he could get this, and he did.  It was pretty unpleasant for him but now I don't need to worry. 

He said he needed a drink after that and I couldn't blame him, I bet it was bad.  He is still in there now, though.  I just hope he stops in time before he has a blackout, I have asked him if he'll let me take him back to bed a few times and he has declined. 

Plan today is to do my bike workout, shower, nap, and then walk over to the gas station later and get a parfait.  It's only 9, I've been up a while. 

At least I don't have to worry about Ron screaming all day.  I will make sure he gives me some money as soon as he can, to buy Kratom.  It does not work for my migraines so it is all "his".  I can only take it on rare occasion for a moderate headache and it does very well for that. 

Funny it will work on Ron's intractable pain but not on my migraines.  Are the migraines worse?  Interesting question.  Everyone has a different pain tolerance. 

I want to view Ron as a tough, tenacious, guy with a high tolerance for pain. 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

There will come a time when even the kratom won't work on his pain. Then what?

Are you keeping all 3 cats? You should. They are a cute little family unit. Sorry you couldn't be bothered to at least call a rescue about the dog that was wandering outside. Probably just ran off and the owners are looking (hopefully?). Shame you could not have at least some compassion to put out a bowl of water or something for it. But I do understand about the cats and the dog issue with doing so. We have a facebook page here where people can list lost animals. Too bad you don't have one in your area. How do you deal with the guilt about not helping every stray animal knowing most will have a terrible fate in their short lives? Another reason I hate god.

Heather Knits said...

It was a cute, tame, dog, but the mother cat and kittens were utterly freaked (rightly so). It is the cats' porch. He would have had to pass by if I had not been on the porch anyway. I did not see anything on Nextdoor about it so possibly dumped.

But, I will repeat, it was a "desirable" dog for those who want a cute little foo-foo. Someone will find it and keep it.

It's a good thing I did chase it off, if it had gotten farther towards the porch mama cat was going to go mama bear on him (?).

I've said it before, a lot of dogs get dumped in my neighborhood. The only ones who come to pick up animals go to the high kill shelter, and good odds "my" cats would get scooped up too.

Kratom is very effective if you rotate strains. Don't just use, say, Red Elephant all the time. Use Gold Bali, Red Thai, etc, a different one every day. That is what I have done with Ron. It seems a 1 gram dose does very well for him but he may need a bigger dose on Really Bad Days.

About the spammer who is obviously not a native English speaker, I don't put up ads for random websites on my blog. I have no idea what is on your page and would prefer to keep it that way (apparently trying to sell a service).

Anonymous said...

Would a new mattress help?

Anonymous said...

If the do gooder dog rescuers would mind their own business the dog could find its way home. Don't take them, it's not helping, it's interfering.

Heather Knits said...

His old mattress is 20 years old. that bed was the first nice, new, piece of furniture I bought myself - up to that point everything had been cheap and secondhand. He slept on the floor at that point, better for his back, he said, on an air mattress.

After the accident I wasn't going to put him back on the floor so I gave him "my" bed, still only a year old. He trashed it pretty good over the years but will not consider another. The company that made it has gone out of business.

He loved the adjustable bed in the hospital, all my family thought he should get one but he has been steadfast in his refusal. According to the pain doc basically everything is wrong with his back, disc disease, arthritis, etc. He has a disc that grew in "funny" and you can actually see it when he takes his shirt off. I will ask the pain doc about a new bed tomorrow.

I did toss the boxspring and got him a Sleep Master platform, it is a bed platform you put the mattress onto, it is very comfortable. I have one for my queen size. I got my mattress at Ikea a few years ago and I love it, but it would be difficult to get home now and we would have to have it delivered.

Heather Knits said...

Oh, and I saw another loose dog today, very aggressive, followed me. Told it I would light up it's ass with my stun gun and I swear it understood me, it backed off. Nasty mutt.

If you are going to have a dog at least teach it to be respectful of others. I was walking down a sidewalk minding my own business. I have got to get those cats inside, I don't like them outdoors with things like that.