Sunday, July 14, 2019

A trip to Walmart

I slept pretty well, slept in until about 8.  I got up, did a workout on the bike, and took a shower.  My hair is long enough now that I am going to have to condition it pretty much every time I wash.  It is almost as long as my elbow, which means I will need to trim it, I put my elbow down in the mattress when I am getting up or rolling over, and you can't imagine the pain when it's planted in a strand of hair.  Pretty excruciating.  About waist length is good enough for me. 

So I used my green apple shampoo and conditioner, got dressed, ready to go.  I verified Ron did not need anything.  I brought my waterproof Bible (New Testament), a couple of drinks (including what turned out to be a delicious half frozen Powerade), bus pass, stun gun, etc. 

Uneventful walk to the bus stop, a long wait on the bus.  A fare-beater got on the bus after I did (another stop) and basically told the driver to f*ck off when she asked him to pay.  The bus driver has a button they push when that happens, so it is noted.  We got to the transit center. 

Two women were at my stop, very spread out.  They were taking enough space to seat six people easily.  I guessed I could understand that if you did not have a stun gun in your pocket.  They were talking about caregiving,they were professional care givers.  One of them talked much more than the other, who was very friendly.  They were talking about various patients they had and places to work.  Apparently the going rate for a caregiver is $10 an hour.  That is interesting to know. 

I found it again, interesting, how I could not escape reminders of Ron on my day out.  The bus came eventually and we all boarded.  This bus was newer and had better seats, more of a vinyl cover as opposed to the carpet like fabric seen on the older buses.  Much easier to keep clean and more padding.  I got a good, forward facing seat. 

The one lady was telling me I could get the government to come out and pay for care givers to take care of (Ron) if I signed up with the right program.  I am an intensely private person in real life so I would not want to do that, but I didn't say that.  She seemed nice enough and I could see her giving Ron a bath.  She wouldn't take it personally if he got ugly. 

Something to think about.  She got off, we got another fare-beater, this one was more aggressive.  He had pretty new clothes on, clean, and a brand new tattoo.  But he didn't have $1.25 for the bus.  He was very fidgety like he was manic, I was so happy when he got off NOT at my stop. 

We got to my stop, I got off, I found a cart - I like to get them from outside because the sun sterilizes everything, it's very effective.  I went into the store. 

I basically had 2 goals, get a backpack and get my salt tablets.  Also of note I wanted to get some protein bars, but I had forgotten to put them on the list. 

I saw they had the back to school stuff, and it reminded me my best workout journal has been a 25 cent notebook.  I am OK for pens and such, so I went looking for backpacks.  NOT a lot of selection.  Most of them were cheap and ugly.  I found a plain black one that will do for about $13.  The pink one with the cacti was $5. 

But I don't want a pink cacti backpack, I wanted a neutral, because it is best to keep a low profile when riding the bus.  So I threw it in the cart.  It is not my ideal but it will do. 

I got my salt tablets, no problems getting those except a long line.  There was a very obnoxious child emitting earsplitting screams at a high volume, in a demanding manner, clearly a tantrum of "want"ing something it was denied.  I kept thinking the child needed a good spanking, and wondered who had taught it (because you do teach them to misbehave) to behave so badly.  We were in the back of the store but I am certain you could have heard it in the front, that bad. 

I was just on the verge of shouting SHUT UP when it stopped.  I went over another aisle, looking at female supplies, and I heard one side of a conversation.  A woman was saying she was so annoyed by the screamer she almost "Took my belt off and taught her some manners, YES, right in front of her mother!"  I grinned and started laughing, she looked at me and I nodded in agreement. 

There was also a man sitting on the bench for people waiting, with a woman.  He had pulled his pant leg up, gotten an assortment of knee braces, and was trying them on, walking around the store.  Disgusting.  Remind me to WASH any braces I may buy in the future.  How much, I wanted to bet, he would put his pant leg down over the knee brace he liked and "forget" to take it off and pay for it?  Pretty good odds.  I knew security was watching me because I brought in a bag, but I was going to be a very boring show. 

I found the female supplies I use in stock, for a change, and in good condition.  I couldn't really afford to get everything but I made room in the budget.  Two boxes of pads (the foam ones) and a giant box of my trusty "Ultras". 

I wasn't thinking about (the cats' vet appointment on) Tuesday, but I bought a six pack of diet decaf soda.  Now I have plenty to bring with me to the appointment.  It is late in the afternoon, I do not need caffeine so this will work great. 

I also got a small folding poncho.  Salt tablets, soda, backpack, ah!  Protein bars.  I found the protein bars I love, they are so healthy, taste decadent, and super filling.  Just what I need some days.  I bought several boxes, including the maple donut one.  I started thinking a maple donut sounded really good (I had only had a protein shake so far in the day) so I went and got a couple out of the pastry case.  I got icing all over but that was OK, eating them, messy but good. 

I checked out.  A little bit of a wait but not bad for 1 in the afternoon on a weekend at Walmart.  I called Arturo, he was a ways off. I sat down on the bench and worked on murdering my donuts, which were VERY good.  Am I going to eat them again, any time soon?  Hell, no.  But it was a good, rare, treat.  I had forgotten what a sugar rush felt like. 

A woman sat down next to me, wearing some weird fringy vest and a hospital wrist band.  Ron always takes his band off the minute he leaves the hospital, he hates the reminder he was sick.  Some people wear it like a badge,for days,though.  She was whining at the cart attendants saying she "needed a scooter" - she was surprisingly not large like all the people using the scooter. 

As I've said, there's a point where you can save yourself, diet and exercise, and then there's a point where it's too late, all your joints are destroyed and you are a full blown diabetic on a dozen medications.  The point is to catch yourself before you get there. 

Me, for instance, I have a "bad" knee but I exercise it at every opportunity.  I would have a lot more pain and mobility issues if I did not.  But I did the knee brace thing, limping around, until a ortho doctor told me to do physical therapy, wear lighter shoes (he wouldn't be happy with my work boots), and always remember my knee would never work as well after surgery,as it did before. 

A lot of people don't get that.  Yes, I still weigh over 200 but things like the donuts are a rare indulgence, I get a lot of protein, I work out 'most every day.  I drink a ton of water, take my pills, get enough sleep every night - because my health is a priority. 

I think a lot of people think "Well if I can't walk anymore I will just use the scooter".  What if the scooter is broken and you need milk, which is at the back of the store?  I think about this stuff even though I'm only in my 40's, married to a train wreck like Ron makes me THINK about taking care of MYSELF. 

So she had to wait 20 minutes for a scooter.  She was utterly revolted watching me eat my donuts.  I went outside about 10 minutes 'till Arturo and waited outside.  I didn't have anything that would melt.  He was a little late but that didn't bother me, I have told you all the story before we knew Arturo, I waited two and a half hours at a Walmart on Sunday, and I still didn't get a ride.  Another 10 minutes was not going to kill me and I just wanted him to be safe. 

I saw a man coming out.  His wife was pushing the cart and he was unwrapping the ice cream bar he had just purchased.  I said something to him and he offered me one!  Sadly, it was the chocolate coated kind.  I declined, explaining I was "allergic" to chocolate (easier than explaining the migraines), and he went on his way.  But that was very nice. 

A big paratransit van arrived.  A woman in an electric wheelchair rolled up to the van.  A Walmart employee pushed a full basket of groceries up to the van.  They were in the process of loading but I couldn't help but wonder who was going to unload all those groceries?  Did the passenger have a helper at home?  I hoped. 

I had 3 bags, the tote bag I had brought and 2 others.  We got them loaded quickly and off to home.  When we got there, I paid Arturo a little more than normal because he did come get me on a Sunday, he took the trip even though it was a long ride for him to get me, and he is an all around nice guy.  So I didn't feel at all stingy about that. 

I came in the house and found Ron awake in bed, listening to the Astros.  I find it very healthy for him to listen to baseball, he has something to talk about, and something to focus on outside his problems.  He did not want his chicken (I got him some chicken strips) saying he had been snacking on beef sticks all day. 

That's why I got them, a meal that eats like a snack and LOADED with protein!  I did NOT tell him that.  I put the chicken strips away. I put my stuff up and laid down for a nap. 

I slept OK but woke up with a headache.  I managed to whack it with a caffeine drink so hopefully that is the end of it for a few days.  I rounded up all my purchases and decided to spray my not-objectionable backpack with some sealer.  This will prevent stains and moisture from getting inside. I did that for my fanny pack and it has been great, but it does smell pretty bad.  I did it out in the garage so it could ventilate after I finished the treatment.  And I still have plenty of solution in the can. 

When it dries I will figure out what I'm putting into it.  I would like a bottle of powerade, my water proof Bible, can't think what else. I crammed a lot of stuff in my fanny pack, but I may take out the garage door opener and put that in the backpack.  That takes up a fair amount of room in the fanny pack and I don't use it that often.  I would say stun gun but this will go to work and I believe it is a felony to bring a weapon.  I wouldn't do well in prison. 

I don't have to BRING a lot of crap everywhere I go, I may buy things and put them in the bag.  It would be a lot easier to take some things home on the bus in a backpack.  I have to walk some blocks to/from the bus stop. 

Amazon prime day is coming tomorrow and I have $200 in my account, if I find something I just have to buy.  Am I burning to get something?  No.  I could use a 35 pound kettlebell but that is not urgent, the 25 and the 30 are giving me plenty of workout. 

Oh, about kettle bells.  I found two workouts a week are better for me with my life, I have an active job, do cardio workouts, and care for Ron.  I am doing a fair amount before I even put on my bike shorts.  Two workouts a week work better for me. 

Days were a little trickier, I was doing every third day but that often fell on a day I had to get up very early (4 am) for work.  I am not motivated enough to get up at 3 am and work out, not most days at any rate. 

But I have Tuesdays off, pretty much every week.  So that was day one.  I like to wait at least 2 days between workouts because I, at least, need that long to bounce back.  That meant Friday.  Friday is another good day, I am generally off.  So I can get up whenever, either day, and do the kettlebells.  Much more feasible.  The fitness books always say to pick a time that really works for you, this is the first time I have done that I can recall. 

I did the bike today, I plan to walk tomorrow.  I aim for half an hour most days.  That is practical and I find I have more energy overall when I work like this.  I don't flog myself if I have a rare donut because I already burned it off. 

I need to do the litterboxes, but from what I can tell everyone is nice and healthy.  I will of course mention the worms to the vet on Tuesday.  I have enough money saved to pay for pretty much anything.  What I don't spend will go back in my personal emergency fund. 

I also need to check the clothes and see if I need to do a load.  I don't think I do, it is pretty late,almost 7, so I would do it tomorrow if necessary.  I may put everything in the washer - pretreat it, get off the cat hair, etc.,and then just push the button tomorrow. 

Tuesday is coming up pretty quick.  Chuck confirmed he is helping me and I have Arturo (he likes cats) on standby.  Cat carriers are in easy reach. 

It hasn't been too bad loading them in the past.  All are treat addicts so I could make like I'm giving treats and then stuff them in the carrier.  They would be pissed for a while, at me, but Ron generally is Treat Man anyway.  I got a confirmation text from the vet they have "us" down. 

That's it for now. 

No comments: