Saturday, December 15, 2012

And, another handout

Ron was still intoxicated this morning, when I left. I was glad I had left him home.


I had strapped 3 cases of "done up" Bibles into my hand cart. It weighed about 50 pounds. I dragged the hand cart about half a mile to the bus stop.

I had strapped the sign to the cart, on top. I didn't think about the fact that people could see the Free Bibles part until cars started pulling over at the bus stop! I thought that was really cool. I handed out 4 Bibles total even before I got on the bus.

When I got to the corner, it appeared empty. I got off with the cart. As it turns out, the guy begging had just sat down for a minute, and I didn't see him. Ooops.

It's a good intersection for begging, I guess. It's sure good for Bible Handouts.  I looked across the street, I've done handouts there, but nope, it was taken.

I decided, if two people can beg on the same corner I can do a handout at the tail end while he begs at the "head". That's what I did.

At first things started off so slowly I asked God if He even wanted me there. About that time a young man drove by very slowly yelling "Bible! Bible!" with his hand out. I chased him down and got him. OK, God wants me here.

After that things got insane. I had whole families. Groups of friends all going out. Several people commented they really liked my timing (after the tragedy yesterday). People kept trying to pay for the Bibles, and I kept telling them "I'm crazy enough to do this, so friends buy me Bibles." They liked that.

One recipient asked for my name - that's a first. She repeated it "Heather" and she and her husband drove off. I think the most fun was the guy with 9 kids. He pulled up and I gave him one. I asked him if he would like any more. He said "You can't give me all the Bibles I need" chuckling. I said "Try me" and he said "I have nine kids". I started pulling them out of the bag. "Wait, I only need 7!" He rode off with 8 total. It was just the day for his family.

I got most of them done before the second bus came by (35 minutes). The begging guy came over and I gave him one, and he left the median altogether. I told him I'd be praying.

I pray for all the recipients of course.

I waited and waited. I knew the recipient was out there. God asked me how long I'd wait to get someone saved, and of course I said "Quite a while". I figured they would get to me eventually. About a half hour later, a family drove by very slowly and stopped about halfway down. I ran over to them, and a car stopped so I could access them. I waved at them and gave 3 to the family (Mom, Dad, and son). I thought, only 2 left. Wait, the car that stopped TWO guys, and they are looking interested. I told them "You get the last of them!" and they took the Bibles.

All done.  I rolled up the sign, taking off my hat and vest. 

Last night Ron kept raving about the weather forecast, cold and rain. I have found the recipients DO NOT roll down a window in the rain so a rain handout is only good for getting me wet. I told Ron, if God wants me to do this He can make the corner nice and sunny, and rain everywhere else.

Guess what happened? Warm and sunny on my corner, rain a block away.

I ran a few errands and came home. Ron is still in pretty bad shape. I'm glad I can turn him over to God. I don't see how the unreached deal with alcoholism in a loved one.

I don't mind the pain - because God has used me and continues to use me, in amazing ways. I'm just happy He wants to use me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Heather. Praying for the recipients, Ron and you. *hugs* Kerry