Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday Night

I hate spam.  That is one reason I won't monetize my blog.  I feel like my blog should be a place for reading and learning about my life, if you want, not a marketplace with "carefully selected links". 

I tend to get a spike in readership on Sunday nights, so I feel a special obligation to be interesting on Sunday Night.  It's up to you to decide if I failed. 

I can't remember if I did a blog yesterday.  Ron and I went to work, went to the bank, and then went out to eat.  I ate Samosa.  I love eating Samosa.  It's like an Indian hot pocket with a delicious filling.  Ron ate a shawerma.  He loves them. 

I went to bed pretty early and woke up early, ready for church.  I took a shower.  I did my God time.  I put on a sweater and jeans.  Well, I had to wear a t-shirt under the sweater, which had a pretty daring neckline.  If Ron could see I would wear it around the house for him, but no way would I wear it out in public. 

I couldn't get comfortable in the t-shirt, and finally realized I had it on backwards.  I took it off and fixed it.  Ron finally woke up. 

Our ride was due at 9:30.  Ron called Metrolift (the paratransit company) about then.  It was "unassigned".  That is a very bad sign. 

We needed to get to the Starbucks at 10:30, so we could get picked up and get to church by 11.  Time passed.  They sent it to Yellow cab.  Generally that's as bad as "unassigned" because it means it will be about an hour before a driver shows up. 

I mean, REALLY?  We live in the 4th largest city in the nation, in a completely decent middle class neighborhood, not far from downtown (as things go) and it still takes them an hour? 

Ugh, I could tell you some STORIES about cab rides and hours long wait times... unless you are at the airport, forget about a cab.  So many times I'd be waiting, and thinking "I could walk home faster". 

OK, enough whining.  By 10:30 Ron had called Metrolift and said forget about it, it's too late anyway.  He called our friend to tell him we weren't coming, and he wasn't around anyway, so that worked out. 

The cab showed up at 10:50, and we had to tell him to go away repeatedly for several minutes before he got it.  When I said "It was a 9:30 pickup" he got that - looked at his watch, went "OH" and then I told him "We called half an hour ago and said it was too late, cancel the trip" he had a lightbulb moment and went back to his cab. 

It would have been a good trip for him, but what's the point of going to our pickup point for church when church was literally starting in 5 minutes?   We didn't even have a ride from the Starbucks to church!   

This is why, my friends, if we ever won the lottery Ron and I would hire our own personal driver.  It is really frustrating, having to rely on unreliable transportation. 

You, for instance, when you want to go somewhere you probably get in your car, drive yourself.  You don't have to ride next to an obese person flowing into your personal space; people who shove their junk in your lap; someone who wears too much cologne; a chronic complainer; angry clients who want to take it all out on you; someone with strange sores all over their skin, shoved up against you; wierd people interrogating you - bad odors, you name it.  Some of the other clients get "touchy" with us, I've seen clients hit the drivers on multiple occasions, one woman tried to unzip Ron's pants; one guy likes me so much they put him in the backseat and Ron has to play jealous husband.... it's no treat. 

It's a hell of a lot better than walking, and a lot cheaper than cabs, but if the buses ran better I would never ride paratransit again.  I haven't even gotten to the notoriously unreliable nature of the trips.  They can be hours late, drive you around for 2 hours before dropping you off, the pickup can arrive before I even get dropped off... you get the idea. 

See, I ALSO woke up with a migraine.  I managed so subjugate it, but got so frustrated it came back.  Metrolift is a massive migraine all by itself. 

I'm still battling depression!  I'm battling depression, and a migraine, and all I wanted was to go to church... I didn't even get that.  I was so disappointed. 

I'm going to have to take a phenergan before I go to bed.  This headache will not die. 

On the plus side, I always appreciate the day after a headache because I feel better!  I have to work tomorrow, but I have a goodie bag for my sandwich guy.  He really want above and beyond on several occasions this year. 

Example: metrolift is coming early - he made sure he beat them so I got everything stocked.  Or, metrolift got us there late - he made another stop before coming to us so we could intersect. 

After work, just for fun, we're going to Walmart to watch the mayhem.  Ron wants some vitamin D.  I could use some more soda. 

It'll be a cold day before I get more shredded wheat - I'm pretty sure that was my trigger.  Or the samosa, or God knows what - I need to keep a food log. 

Sounds like a good New Year's resolution - a food log. 

2 comments:

icebear said...

Merry Christmas Heather. God Bless!

Melanie said...

Oh how I envy Ron his opportunity to eat shawerma! I've never eaten it-don't even think anyplace where I live serves such a thing, though I don't get out much, so should check that-but I've seen it on those restaurant shows and oh my! I am a carnivore from the word go, and that looks like my kind of dish-juicy and crispy all at the same time! I could drool just picturing it in my mind, and I've never even had a whiff of it in real life! There just MUST be somewhere here that serves it, we're not exactly a food desert.

I don't know how you deal with public transit AND depression, just the public transit would do me in. I'm crowd-phobic (not clinically, I just get low-level anxiety in crowds), especially crowds of strangers, and most especially if any of them don't understand the concept of boundaries and personal space. I'm very reserved as it is, and strangers getting near me, much less TOUCHING me, would make me extremely uncomfortable to say the least. Maybe that comes from growing up in the country-people were friendly and helpful, but spread out. As I've mentioned, driving was a MUST. When I have my little "spells" , I don't even feel like talking to loved ones much less being shoved up with a lot of strangers. But if I'm ever in the position to be dependent on it, well, one does what one must. I'll be the little old lady peeking over the dashboard driving about 35 at 85 yrs old, lol. Not really-that's one of the blessings of being the second oldest sibling in a large tight knit loving family-my baby sister has already insisted I have to come to her, dogs and all, and I can read all day if I like:) (Bless her, she's so laid back, and has a very lassez-faire husband when it comes to family, as he's tight with his also).