Sunday, December 9, 2012

"You meant it for evil"

Today I was thinking of a couple Bible verses.  One was Genesis 50:20 "You meant it for evil, but God meant it for good". 

I was also thinking about Hebrews 10:34 "You joyfully accepted the confiscation of your possessions, knowing you had better and more lasting ones...."  I read that to Ron - he loved it so much he had me read it to him again and again until he memorized it. 

Sure, he's upset.  I'm more upset that someone brought that kind of rage into my home, and profoundly grateful I didn't encounter it.  At least in Houston, it is not uncommon for a home invasion and beating/torturing the homeowner.  I have "girl parts".  Yike. 

I'm disturbed I intersected with that kind of evil.  Ron is more outraged, angry, etc.  Understandable. 

Here's where I think my life comes in handy - it takes a lot to really shock or outrage me, because I have experienced a lot.  This was nothing new for me, and that's all I will say on the subject. 

People at church were hugely supportive.  I found that wonderful. 

I have an easy time giving, a hard time recieving from others; and I think that is one thing God is teaching me this year - to let other people care for and minister to me, instead of always being the caregiver. 

Our pastor said, that takes a lot of grace! 

I'm working on that.  The guys are coming by later to finish up.  I will be fixing them a giant meat lover pizza.  They were very interested to hear about it at church today! 

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I'm afraid that I would be outraged too, though part of my outrage would stem from fear that I was that vulnerable to a total stranger invading my world like that. And I totally agree with you re: being a woman. I try not to read the stories, there are too many out there and it can eat at you if you read them all-but one which slipped past my radar was the 80-something yo old couple in Oklahoma. They had been happily married for years, grandchildren, the husband was a WWII vet-the stereotypical all-American family.

The wife was raped and beaten to death, the husband beaten so badly he later died in the hospital. He was tied up and forced to watch-the perpetrator was 14 yo old and invaded their home in broad daylight ostensibly to rob them. The husband returned from the grocery store as the crime was in progress. I can't imagine what that poor old couple went through, what their loved ones are going through.

But they're in God's hands now and He has wiped away every tear and every sorrow.

May God have mercy on the guy who did this, because I would find it very hard to, and that's not forgetting that God has forgiven my sins seventy times seven and thrown them into the deepest abyss. How could a human do such a thing to an 80 yo old couple, when all they had to do was take the stuff and leave? It wasn't even a matter of getting rid of the witnesses, because he didn't need to rape the lady for that purpose, and he didn't make sure the husband was dead before he left. Thank God he was caught.