Sunday, December 9, 2012

Faith in Humanity

I woud have thought, after something like this, I would have very little faith in humanity, but God has been really gracious in having me know wonderful people. 

I have a wonderful neighbor in #6.  He actually thwarted the burglary.  He heard a car idling in my driveway, saw it was not paratransit, and went over to investigate.  They fled.  I'm just thanking God they didn't hurt him.  They are really good neighbors and it would have broken my heart.  I also found out they are Christian!  Yay!  He told one of my buddies, yesterday. 

When I told my neighbor in #2 - this is the one Ron was always bugging, when drunk, about the barking dog - his face creased in concern and he wanted to do something for me, anything.  I thanked him profusely. 

My Dad was really nice and supportive, protective, wanting to make sure the guys installed the strike plate correctly to thwart another burglary.  He also probably moved heaven and earth to get me the serial number so I could put that on the report.  Now, if it's pawned, I'll get it back.  Ha! 

[Here is an important note, unless you have the serial number for your computer - it doesn't exist on a police report.  As soon as you finish reading this, go find that serial number (probably in my computer or "about") and write it down, and put the number in a safe place.  Make sure all your backup media (flash drives) are AWAY from the computer.  I would have been in BIG trouble if they had taken my flash drives with all my music and photos.]

The guys from the burglary unit were very nice, very empathetic, encouraging, and supportive.  They're going to work on catching these guys.  I wish I could buy them a candy bar or something.  They were very comforting. 

I haven't always had that experience with the police department, here! 

Speaking of computers, Ron handed over his computer without even a squeak.  I think he was glad he could help "rescue" me and God knows I needed to get online and change my passwords (even this one).  He is completely happy to be without the computer until I get resolution. 

The guys from church rallied to help us out - get us a new door and install it.  Actually coming out AFTER work the night of the robbery and securing the front door so I didn't have to worry about them coming back.   "You don't know how much the church  loves you" one said.  Another said "Ron, you need our help.  Let us help you."  Good, good, guys.  Exactly the sort of thing Jesus would do if someone robbed His friend's house. 

Our pastor helped coordinate the repair efforts and even sent me some more Bibles.  Yay!  Just the thing I needed to take my mind of my troubles - so I did them up for another Bible Handout (Monday). 

A friend online, upon hearing about my stolen computer, immediately offered to replace it with a reconditioned one her husband just repaired.  I'm speechless. 

I'm just overwhelmed with human kindness.  That's what it's about - gang, it's not the bad things in life, it's how you react.  I can look at the thuggish actions (I don't miss my autocorrect when typing a word like that!), I can look at the thuggish actions of 2 people, or I can look at the amazing love shown to me by dozens and dozens of people. 

I still have my faith in humanity. 

If they catch the guy, Ron and I are going  to visit him.  I will take him a prison Bible (such a thing exists - Free on the Inside Prison Bible); and Ron wants to thank him for breaking the door and "giving" him a new one.  He probably wants to make sure the guy doesn't "bother" me.  We will share our testimony and I will let him know I've been, and will continue to, pray for him daily. 

Which reminds me, time to go hit my God time.  I just wanted to get you first while I still had this in my mind. 

I can run forgetful. 

No comments: