Saturday, December 1, 2012

Red Devil Lye in Houston

Someone was asking about my soap-making days.

When I get manic, unmedicated, I devote myself completely to the subject.  I was very into soap making for a couple years.

Like a lot of crafters, I got started with the melt and pour base.  You cut some off the block, melt in the microwave, mix fragrance and color, and pour it into the mold.  When it sets, you pop it out and it's ready to go.  Without a doubt, the easiest.  I'm sure many people think they are "soap makers" using it.  But that's kind of like calling yourself a "chef" when you heat up a TV dinner.

I decided to go hardcore, and dove into making my own soap from scratch.  The basic recipe for "regular" soap involves lye, fats/oils, and water.  A carefully determined amount of lye is dissolved into water and mixed with a carefully measured amount of fats/oils.  I selected various fats/oils for their properties.  Did I want a nice hard bar?  Palm oil.  Did I want a good lather?  Coconut oil.  Moisturizing?  That would be olive oil, shea butter, etc.

My first batch was a real nail biter.  However, I had downloaded a spreadsheet, used that, and practically memorized Kathy Millers soap page.  She is the queen of online soap making.  Every question answered.

I used a "stick blender".  I don't think you can buy them anymore.  It was an electronic stirrer, basically.  Once the soap was blended I had to put the blender in there and mix it really, really, well.  Eventually the chemical process started and the soap became thicker and thicker.  I usually waited until it was a tad too thick, and then poured it.

I usually made a thick, irregularly topped soap in a basic dishpan mold.  It wasn't too fancy but it worked.

The "girls" at work, our employees, were fascinated and begged for some soap.  First, I told them, it had to cure for a month.  The chemical process continued during that time and it got pretty hot.

When the waiting was up, I gave them each a bar, along with a careful warning not to use it on children or anyone with a skin condition.  [rolleyes]  So what does "T" do?  Take it straight home to her little nieces, who had a severe skin condition, and gave them a bath using my soap.

I was furious when I found out - she did the one thing I told her not to do [this also clinched my suspicion I should never sell the soap].  However, T was too busy raving about the soap to notice.   She quit a week later (her lawsuit settlement came in).

At any rate, I had a lot of fun making soap for a few years.  Everytime I made a new batch, I'd give the girls each a bar.  I made a whole batch of soap, on request, a few times as a favor.

Ron and I didn't want liability issues; easier to have it as a non-paying hobby.  Besides, back then he paid me well enough I could afford to give it away (as far as I was concerned).

After Ron's accident, I pretty much stopped making soap.  I was too busy trying to keep it together.  A landlord cleaned out an apartment before our lease was up, throwing away all my soap making supplies.  I went on to other manias.

However, now and then I think I should try it again.  Anyone know where I can find some Red Devil Lye in Houston?


1 comment:

Isolde said...

Barter your soap for things you want. Home made soap is a lovely gift. Lots of work precise, stimulates your brain power. Basic castile soap is cafe, residual free.
I find doing to with a partner ( my girlfriend and I share this) sharing costs, scrounging for clen milk cartons for molds, buying oils when we habpve money and time. Two vs one while you are making allows for more precession, greater success and a larger amount of end product. We end up with 100 ( Mas o menos) bath bars each, that meet our needs, some wrapped in pretty thrift shop or dollar storebfound pieces of fabric/ raffia ribbon, string. Our favorite most popular lavender,rosemaryband coconut or olive oil. Perhaps you can find sow one from church to partner up with? Happysoap making and the lye may be purcased online or some of the big box stores have it