Sunday, February 12, 2023

Some about natural medicine

My "good" grandmother was a librarian.  When I was about 13 one day she took me to the bookstore and said I could get whatever book I wanted.  I got "The Herb Book" by John Lust. I read it from cover to cover again and again.  

I was always interested in natural medicine and that began a love affair that lasted almost 2 decades. Ron called me his "Witch Doctor"because I could generally advise a remedy.  He wouldn't drink teas but he would take capsules so I did things like give him Milk Thistle for his psoriasis. 

It worked very well, but after the accident he was in a C-collar for weeks as they checked to make sure he did not have any fractures or damage. I think they also waited to do the MRI because he was very fragile and they didn't want him "crashing" during the procedure. So he was in there a couple weeks, when they took it off he had a terrible outbreak. He looked like his skin was peeling off (he had a reaction to the plastic) and the medical peeps kept asking me how we managed it at home.  I would tell them and they would say "What?" and give him steroids. 

Of course my illness progressed and life was untenable.  I tried "natural" antidepressants which made me manic. I stopped all that, gave up on natural medicine, and found good old pharma came to the rescue. 

I slowly started adding back some natural things but don't touch anything for mood except my pharmaceuticals. 

So today you will find a lineup on my counter...

But first I laid down with Spotty for a while, had a very good time. Then the neighbor made some noise, he growled, and ran off to protect me. I got up.  

I made some black tea mixed with green tea, enhanced with lemon slices and fresh ginger. I made one tea with just ginger and lemon. I made one tea with Dandelion root (detox), ginger, and lemon.   They should help me detox. 

All the commercially available "Detox"teas I have found are actually laxative. I don't want a laxative my bowels are fine. I just want to get the poison out of my system. 

Oh I just had a freakout. I smelled something burning and realized it is a neighbor's Super Bowl BBQ. 

That's it for now. 

No comments: